Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: 3D Cubes in Clear, Dyneema, and new Parapack; And, a Comparative Study

3D Cubes in Clear, Dyneema, and new Parapack; And, a Comparative Study

I have three 3D Organizer Cubes in Steel Dyneema/Clear, Steel Dyneema, and Black Parapack, and I wanted to show you all how they look:

As you likely know, the Clear cube is TSA-compliant as a 311 bag, and to my mind, it sort of exists in its own category since, well, it's clear. I will say that in terms of capacity, the opaque cubes seem to have more give, and can thus fit more stuff. I also tend to worry less about stowing sharp and/or pointy items in the opaque cubes, which, I will concede, is purely psychological. Make of it what you will.

When comparing Dyneema and Parapack, I'd say that both fabrics possess relatively similar flexibility and are, at least in this product, close to the same weight. Now, there has been some talk elsewhere on the forum about Parapack's fur-shedding abilities, and I wanted to test this out for myself. Disclaimer: one corgi was vastly irritated—but unharmed—in this experiment.

Research Question: Is 200D Dyneema or 420D Parapack more fur resistant, and thus more desirable for pet-owning Tom Bihn customers?

Hypothesis: 200D Dyneema will outperform 420D Parapack in terms of resistance to collecting fur, but fur will be removed from both fabrics with equal ease.

Lit review: Come on. It's Friday.

Subject and Methods:
    The corgi (hereafter, "subject") is full-grown, with a double coat that is highly prone to constant, invasive, relentless shedding. As subject slept unaware, I approached him and rubbed the Parapack cube and Dyneema cube back and forth on his side for a total of eight (8) passes. Subject awoke and appeared upset, but was mollified with an apology and returned to sleep. Both cubes were placed on desk for visual examination and picture-taking before being dusted off.

Results: The Parapack cube attracted substantially more fur than the Dyneema cube, even though the Dyneema cube was rubbed over the subject's haunch, which sheds more aggressively than the subject's fairy saddle (C.f. ¶ 2 of this page to see what the hell I'm talking about). The shed fur also stood out more prominently on the Parapack cube than the Dyneema cube.

Both cubes were dusted free of fur quite easily, with the Dyneema cube requiring three strokes of the hand to remove fur and the Parapack cube requiring about eight.

Discussion, Limitations, and Recommendations: Experiment results support my hypothesis that it appears that 420D Parapack is not the pet-hair-resistant panacea that some may have hoped it was. However, this study did have some limitations: first, I did it in three seconds in my living room; second, I conducted only one test and did not expose the fabrics to a variety of pet-hair situations; third, I used two accessory items instead of larger bags, which would be more likely to encounter pet hair on a regular basis. Comparative longitudinal studies on 400D Dyneema and Parapack are needed to determine how larger bags respond to weather, abrasion, and vigorous daily use, including prolonged exposure to pet hair.

Despite these limitations, this study does allow for the following recommendations: current Dyneema owners should not feel compelled to "upgrade" to Parapack for accessory items, despite its delightful, shimmery, and eye-pleasing appearance. At the same time, if a customer is considering a new accessory item, s/he may wish to consider Parapack for its novelty, its similar weight and performance to Dyneema, its ease of coordination with Dyneema accessories (c.f. Picture #1 as evidence), and because, really, one can never have too many accessories.

In sum, while some have questioned the long-term viability of Dyneema given the introduction of Parapack to the Tom Bihn lineup, 200D Dyneema's fur-resisting ability and its usefulness as an interior fabric make it unlikely that it will be jettisoned from the ranks anytime soon.

This study was made possible through the generosity of Darcy, who sent me the Parapack cube to test (thanks, Darcy!), and by the letter "P," without which the phrase "passive voice" would be sorely incomplete.

Great minds! : ) I did a similar experiment, but lacking your cute "subject," I rubbed them on my white carpet. The results were similar and I agree with your discussion and recommendations.
    eWalker likes this.

this was awesome, thanks!
    eWalker likes this.

As an academic, I thoroughly enjoyed this post. As a multi-pet owner, I will be sticking with Dyneema. I have two orders en route, so the Parapack has not disturbed my ordering habits. Your next study should be on developing an intervention for TB addicts.
    nsh and eWalker like this.

Dear Pr. Badger, that was brilliant!

I enjoyed (oh they are so cute!) and resented (shedding, active, herding dogs not suitable for apartment) the wonderful Corgi related link you provided.

May I be so bold to ask a question?

Does the Parapack 3D Cube has the same light green lining as the 3D Clear Cube?
    eWalker likes this.

I’m curious about the texture and appearance of the parapack material. For some reason I imagine this slick shiny fabric like some of my old packs were made of. So, how would you compare the look and feel of the parapak to dyneema?
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Dear Pr. Badger, that was brilliant!

I enjoyed (oh they are so cute!) and resented (shedding, active, herding dogs not suitable for apartment) the wonderful Corgi related link you provided.

May I be so bold to ask a question?

Does the Parapack 3D Cube has the same light green lining as the 3D Clear Cube?
    Corgis are very suitable apartment-dwelling dogs, provided they get daily exercise. They meet the weight requirement imposed by most rental companies, and store easily on the shelf.

The Parapack 3D cube (mine, at least) is all black.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    I’m curious about the texture and appearance of the parapack material. For some reason I imagine this slick shiny fabric like some of my old packs were made of. So, how would you compare the look and feel of the parapak to dyneema?
    It's not totally slick; there is some texture to it. However, you can't feel a distinct weave the way you can with Dyneema. It's got a very pleasant hand, and even the black has a nice appealing shimmer to it. Aesthetically, I like it a lot.
    eWalker likes this.

You're a nut. I love it.
    eWalker likes this.

Oh, Badger, you're the best. Seriously. Maybe the next study could compare the passive fur-gathering of the fabrics -- while on couches or dog beds or rugs, perhaps.

On a side note, do the corgis go after the straps? Rosalind the Puggle is obsessed with ALL the webbing straps, to the point where I have to bundle the Synapse's trailing back straps away and put it on a chair to keep her from chewing them. It's definitely the webbing, because she ignores the Cordura & Dyneema key straps while going after the regular webbing ones.
    eWalker likes this.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

These fur tests....great, helpful, and very funny. As the hand maiden of one large yellow lab who graciously supplies the household with her goldenness everywhere, the dyneema remains the fabric of choice for me....now we if could just persuade TB folks to make dyneema pants/slacks for humans.....
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

And jackets....and socks.....

Maybe we should vacuum more often....including the dog...

Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    On a side note, do the corgis go after the straps?
    No, Titus is afraid of all bags, so he avoids them, or barks at them from across the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moose and eWalker like this.

Awesome test Badger!! So informative. So i can assume that 1000 cordura would pick up more hair than the para pack?
    eWalker likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0