• 1 Post By bradnd99
  • 2 Post By Trailhiker
  • 1 Post By nukediver
  • 8 Post By Darcy
  • 4 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By terayon

Thread: CoPilot O-ring Quirk/Annoyance

CoPilot O-ring Quirk/Annoyance

I've been using my Co-Pilot as an EDC for several months now and aside from my desire for a bit of padding in the main compartment for my iPad, I haven't had any problems with it. That being said, there is a usability quirk that I wanted to mention for future iterations.

In the 2 front pockets, the O-Rings are sewn to the "back" of the pocket. If you use them to connect to a key strap or organizer pouch, they end up blocking the sewn in organization in those pockets. If you have to remove something from those pockets, you have to "reach across" the strap.

In this picture, you can see, if I wanted to remove something from the suede pocket, the strap is in the way.
    Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  35.7 KB

I think it would be better if the O-rings were sewn into the "front" part of the pocket.
    Macgirl likes this.

I couldn't agree with u more!
    My copilots are my go to bags. ( black, steel, steel dyneema )
    I'm considering having my shoe repair guy stitch ring loops into the front sections.

On the subject of ultimate organization within the copilot, I just recently lost two of my side effects to the two back pockets within the main compartment. ( the dyneema side effect slides easier in and out of the pockets.) thanks for that thought Kyle! My copilots are turning into Russian nesting dolls. Also in this way while tucking the waist strap within I always have a back up smaller bag when needed. I'll try getting some photos up in the next few days.

I must say that I agree with this annoyance in an otherwise perfect bag. My Co-Pilots and Synapse are my EDC choices, and this is the only fault I can find in either.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Ahh, yes, O-ring placement. A maybe surprisingly complicated thing and something we spend a good deal of thought/consideration on. Why we didn't put the O-rings on the "front" part of the pocket: doing so, and then attaching heavier things like keys or a maxed out Clear Organizer Wallet, would potentially cause that pocket to cave in on itself -- that wouldn't look that great from the outside but would also mean whatever else is in that pocket would be difficult to access as your hand would be fighting against that caved-in pocket. Putting the O-ring on the other side obviously isn't a perfect solution either, but between the two, we felt it was the best option.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Ahh, yes, O-ring placement. A maybe surprisingly complicated thing and something we spend a good deal of thought/consideration on. Why we didn't put the O-rings on the "front" part of the pocket: doing so, and then attaching heavier things like keys or a maxed out Clear Organizer Wallet, would potentially cause that pocket to cave in on itself -- that wouldn't look that great from the outside but would also mean whatever else is in that pocket would be difficult to access as your hand would be fighting against that caved-in pocket. Putting the O-ring on the other side obviously isn't a perfect solution either, but between the two, we felt it was the best option.

Hmmmmm,
    Oh.

Thanks for those thoughts Darcy,
    It makes sense,

But,
    While we are on the subject of "O" rings,
    Now tell me why I don't want to put one on the top inside of each of the vertical pockets of my new brain bag?
    :-/

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    This is actually a consideration in the O-ring placement in many other bags where similar questions have come up (e.g., the Synapse). In most cases where the O-rings are being used, people are attaching pouches containing items that can be fairly heavy. (I suppose there could be a few instances where you're tethering to a long keystrap or lanyard that is secured to a pouch that is actually resting at the bottom of a compartment, but that's not the norm.) Consequently, you'll notice that the O-rings are always placed along structurally reinforced seams that can bear the weight. If there isn't such a seam to allow O-ring placement, you don't find extra O-rings located in the bag.

moriond

Darcy--thanks for explaining. I now see how the current placement is probably the best option.

Could the O-ring be placed along the vertical seam between the front pocket and the water bottle pocket? Or still on the back along the top horizontal seam, but closer to the water bottle pocket? Still where they can be better supported, but less in the way?

I don't actually own a Co-pilot, so I really don't know the bag. Just my two cents.

This is also my only complaint with the CP. I use longer straps for heavier things so they can lay at the bottom; weight isn't an issue then. terayon's idea sounds great, though how difficult would manufacturing it this way be? It's a tighter fit there.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0