Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By flitcraft
  • 4 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By Hollie
  • 1 Post By flitcraft

Thread: Cheating on my Tom Bihn bags...with my packing cubes

Cheating on my Tom Bihn bags...with my packing cubes

So...about a year ago I had an accident that abruptly ended my carefree days of one-bagging it without wheels, at least for a while. Once I was cleared to travel again, it was clear that I couldn't possibly backpack with any degree of comfort or safety. Wheels were going to be a necessity, at least temporarily, but I didn't want to give up the freedom that I'd gotten accustomed to in traveling with my Western Flyer or Tristar. What to do?

As it turned out, a friend loaned me her Samsonite rolling briefcase to see if it would be of any use to me. It's 17 wide by 13 high by 8 inches deep. And guess what--the large Western Flyer packing cubes fit into it perfectly! I can stack two of them in there side by side, with room at the top to tuck in my Side Effect as a purse. And I can sit the Imago on top and wrap the Absolute Strap around the handles to secure it. (And the Absolute Strap also anchors my cane in place when I'm not using it.)

Now don't get me wrong--I know I'm cheating on my Tristar and Western Flyer, and believe me, I do have pangs about it. And, once this little affair with the Samsonite fizzles out, I'll be right back with them, where I know I belong.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Health trumps everything. Don't think of it as "cheating," think of it as taking care of yourself.

It is better to use wheels and travel, than to insist on not using wheels, getting hurt even more, and not being able to travel at all.

I have a bad shoulder and have, so far, been able to manage without wheels. But recently, I pulled a muscle in my upper back on the same side as the bad shoulder. I'm getting older and it's not healing the way I'd like.

In six months, I become a full time traveler. I still plan to take my beloved Aeronaut. I'll test my shoulder and back with a few 2-3 days trips just prior to that. If everything is okay, I'll go with plans. If not, even I might have to go to wheels.

The ability to travel is what's important--at least to me.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Don't feel badly about needing wheels! I have to use them, too, and I likely will the rest of my life, and I can't bother to wallow in guilt about that. I have fibromyalgia, and I didn't ask for it, and if they don't come up with a cure, I'll have it the rest of my life. I would much rather carry my luggage than roll it, but it's not something I have a choice in.

I have a small luggage cart, and have been toying with the idea of using that with an Aeronaut, but right now I have one piece of wheeled luggage and also a Patagonia MLC that haven't been used hardly at all, so I can't justify the expense of the Aeronaut (but it's on my Christmas list anyway, in case someone else wants to justify the expense on my behalf). We're flying to California for Thanksgiving and I want to take the luggage cart and see if I can stow it in the MLC with ease (and eventually an Aeronaut), see if that's a possible solution.

Or I might just have to accept that I'll always need one piece with built-in wheels. In that case, I would sure prefer if I could buy it from Tom Bihn. I try not to think of Tom Bihn's position on wheeled bags as an abandonment of those of us who physically need them. But sometimes that's hard.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Well, my 'guilt' is really more of a joke than anything. I do wish I could go back to my WF/Tristar travel style, but that will have to wait. Meanwhile, all of us need to make the choices that make the most sense for us at the time.

I used to have a portable luggage cart but it wasn't all that convenient--setting it up was like an origami project.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

JLE
    I sympathise. A shoulder injury last year has forced me to wheels too, and even though my shoulder has more or less healed, I am still hesitant to shoulder carry anything larger than a lightly packed Western Flyer over extended distances. This means my Aeronaut is now designated for car trips. I thought about a lightweight luggage cart but decided to go with a wheeled bag, and I'm really glad I did. A separate cart would have been unwieldy and inconvenient IMHO.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0