Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Side Effect + S-Biners as seat pocket bag

  1. #1
    Registered User Ms. Ferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    96

    Side Effect + S-Biners as seat pocket bag

    Just got back from my first trip with my new Side Effect. During this trip I determined that 1 Side Effect + 2 S-Biners == great way to keep little fiddly things (earbuds, iPod, gum, pens, notebook, tissues, snacks, makeup bag, etc.) handy during a flight. One side of each S-Biner clips into one of the webbing loops where the SE's waist strap is supposed to go, and the other side hooks over the edge of the seat pocket:

    Name:  side_effect.jpg
Views: 3737
Size:  117.0 KB

    My hand sanitizer is clipped to the S-Biner on the left, because I always assume that the tray tables and armrests on planes are filthy. That thing to the right of the SE is my water bottle, which holds 1L, rolls up flat, and has an attached clip. This setup worked out well for me -- I never had to pull out my purse during the flights, nor did I have to spend any time fishing around in the seat pocket for stuff (ew).

    Unfortunately this only works if you already have adequate leg room (yes, I was sitting in my seat when this photo was taken, and yes, I am short).

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    45
    Wow, that is good stuff! Great idea thanks for sharing!

  3. #3
    Registered User snowbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington DC-ish
    Posts
    326
    I recently flew with my Side Effect. Four flights on two airlines and not a single flight attendant cared that I wore the Side Effect as a tiny purse throughout each flight.
    eWalker likes this.

  4. #4
    Registered User nukediver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Metuchen, NJ
    Posts
    459
    Brilliant!!
    plume likes this.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17
    On my last long haul trip I just used the waist strap of my SideEffect to strap it to the tray table. Pull it tight and close the tray, just hangs there like it was meant to be.

    Worked great for easy access without killing legroom and disappeared under the tray during meal time.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    333
    Ah, now you'll make me regret cutting off the waist strap, won't you? Well...a good excuse to buy another Side Effect!
    Lani and TavaPeak like this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17
    Now it is removable!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    45
    I use an S-Biner to attach the Side Effect directly to my belt, thus avoiding having to use the shoulder strap or the waist strap. It's far more convenient to deploy than either approach. Your idea is great--all I have to do is add one more S-Biner and get a totally new use out of it. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Registered User CallaVandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    7
    I mostly carry side effect when I go for cycling, it holds my phone, some chocolates or some other eatables, comb, cream, my money purse and a lot of other little stuff.

  10. #10
    Registered User Lani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    Just got back from my first trip with my new Side Effect. During this trip I determined that 1 Side Effect + 2 S-Biners == great way to keep little fiddly things (earbuds, iPod, gum, pens, notebook, tissues, snacks, makeup bag, etc.) handy during a flight. One side of each S-Biner clips into one of the webbing loops where the SE's waist strap is supposed to go, and the other side hooks over the edge of the seat pocket
    OK, this is a fantastical idea and I hope you won't mind that I'll steal the idea from you next time!

    You know what I *REALLY* like? Your little blue Vapur bottle. I don't know why I never thought to do that myself; it makes perfect sense. I travel with a reusable travel tumbler/mug (it's one of those things I don't HAVE to carry but I love drinking out of) but half the time it's too fat to fit in the seatback pocket. The Vapur fixes that. Thanks for the great idea!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

  11. #11
    Registered User Ms. Ferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    You know what I *REALLY* like? Your little blue Vapur bottle. I don't know why I never thought to do that myself; it makes perfect sense. I travel with a reusable travel tumbler/mug (it's one of those things I don't HAVE to carry but I love drinking out of) but half the time it's too fat to fit in the seatback pocket. The Vapur fixes that. Thanks for the great idea!
    It's a pretty cool bottle! Outside of traveling I'm always commuting on buses and ferries and stuff, so I like that it's easy to drag around with me. If it's full it clips onto the strap of my Cafe Bag, and if it's empty it packs down to this:

    Name:  vapur_empty.jpg
Views: 2808
Size:  208.8 KB

  12. #12
    Registered User Hollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    179
    I bought a packable little plastic bottle like that a couple of years ago (not a Vapur brand), and it was a great idea but in practice the water always tasted plastic-y. The Vapur bottle doesn't do that? I'd love to get one of these, I prefer to travel light and it can be a drag to carry around my Klean Kanteen everywhere. I just don't want that plastic taste.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

  13. #13
    Registered User Ms. Ferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    I bought a packable little plastic bottle like that a couple of years ago (not a Vapur brand), and it was a great idea but in practice the water always tasted plastic-y. The Vapur bottle doesn't do that? I'd love to get one of these, I prefer to travel light and it can be a drag to carry around my Klean Kanteen everywhere. I just don't want that plastic taste.
    I haven't noticed any kind of weird plastic taste, but I also don't have a particularly sensitive palate.

  14. #14
    Registered User monkeylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Puget Sound region
    Posts
    894
    Do you need to clean this as you would a Platypus set-up?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

  15. #15
    Registered User Ms. Ferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    96
    I usually just swish it out with warm water and a little bit of dish soap. Apparently you can wash them in the dishwasher as well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0