Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Side Effect + S-Biners as seat pocket bag

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    I usually just swish it out with warm water and a little bit of dish soap. Apparently you can wash them in the dishwasher as well.
    Yes, their website says dishwasher safe...right up my alley. Just ordered 2 1-liter bottles for jungle trekking; I can't rehydrate fast enough in those conditions...many thanks for introducing me (us) to this product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

what is that roll of cloth on one of the handles of the western flyer that i see in the picture? thanks.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    what is that roll of cloth on one of the handles of the western flyer that i see in the picture? thanks.
    That's a luggage tag/handle wrap my mom got me -- it seems like everyone in my family has these (or yarn pom-poms, or a crochet slipper or something) on their checked bags to identify them quickly on the carousel, and I've never gotten out of the habit even though I don't really check bags any more. They do add a nice pop of color to a neutral bag.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I recently flew with my Side Effect. Four flights on two airlines and not a single flight attendant cared that I wore the Side Effect as a tiny purse throughout each flight.
    Im not sure why they would care? I have whatever Im using as a carry on up on my lap sometimes turning take off or landing. No one says boo. Once on a flight from Montreal to Toronto, I was in the bathroom when the plan started to land. No one even noticed I was in there. (The problem wasn't doing the deed at an angle, but that I was laughing the entire time. Hey when you gotta go! )

I know Air Canada doesn't care but U.S and European airlines sure do.

It is a matter of safety!

Love the S-biner idea! I got my Side Effect with a similar idea in mind (organizing in-flight items) but haven't had a chance to use it yet and hadn't thought about clipping it to the seat. Thanks for the idea!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    Just got back from my first trip with my new Side Effect. During this trip I determined that 1 Side Effect + 2 S-Biners == great way to keep little fiddly things (earbuds, iPod, gum, pens, notebook, tissues, snacks, makeup bag, etc.) handy during a flight. One side of each S-Biner clips into one of the webbing loops where the SE's waist strap is supposed to go, and the other side hooks over the edge of the seat pocket:

Attachment 4704

My hand sanitizer is clipped to the S-Biner on the left, because I always assume that the tray tables and armrests on planes are filthy. That thing to the right of the SE is my water bottle, which holds 1L, rolls up flat, and has an attached clip. This setup worked out well for me -- I never had to pull out my purse during the flights, nor did I have to spend any time fishing around in the seat pocket for stuff (ew).

Unfortunately this only works if you already have adequate leg room (yes, I was sitting in my seat when this photo was taken, and yes, I am short).
    So the announcement of the new Tom Bihn Knitting Pouches came out after Ms. Ferret's post, and I would like to draw everyone's attention to the brilliant design of the Double Carabiner clips that were introduced at the same time. These clips use the same molded plastic that you find at the end of your straps and in the Gatekeeper clips for waistband straps, etc. They're light weight, but durable, and have a smooth surface so that o-rings of the Knitting Pouches and Snaphook ends of the regular TB Organizer pouches and wallets both easily slide along the loop sections. (The slightly flattened shape makes it easier for the Snaphook ends to slide on). The two Carabiner loops are joined by a swivel attachment, so the orientation of one loop can be set at 90 degrees to the other, if you want to have your bags/pouches oriented one way, and hook them to an item at another orientation. They can swivel to a flat profile for a compact profile, and are just wonderful. here have been a lot of bag postings lately, so I feel these haven't gotten the attention they deserve. You can order them separately from the Parts item on the Accessories page, and just choose the last item ("Double Carabiner") in the drop down menu. I also want to give a shout out to the other Knitting Tool Pouches, which are great even if you're not a knitter. The size 4 pouch is perfect for those small iPod chargers (please make these in Kiwi!)

moriond

P.S. Also wanted to acknowledge the Knitters in today's blog post
    Last edited by moriond; 12-17-2013 at 01:17 PM.

I wish I'd thought of ordering the Double Carabiner when I ordered my Side Effect. It was just shipped yesterday afternoon so I guess I'll have to put it on my wish list and save it for my next order. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    I wish I'd thought of ordering the Double Carabiner when I ordered my Side Effect. It was just shipped yesterday afternoon so I guess I'll have to put it on my wish list and save it for my next order. Thanks for the info!
    Yep.Same here.That's what crazed ordering gets me..😛

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I also want to give a shout out to the other Knitting Tool Pouches, which are great even if you're not a knitter. The size 4 pouch is perfect for those small iPod chargers (please make these in Kiwi!)
    Will the size 4 knitting pouch hold 2 Apple chargers? One for an iPhone and the other for an iPad Mini. Thanks!

Well, I did the crazed ordering and have some, but I don't really know why! Can someone post some pictures for those of us who need visual aids?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Just used this trick on my flight today and it was perfect - thanks for sharing!

Used this on my Southwest flights back to North Carolina last week and worked great! SW has very tiny seatback pockets on their older 737s, but just the perfect size to cup the Side Effect to and made it so nice to have everything right in front of me and accessible. My Kindle (2nd gen with a form-fit case) even fits in the Side Effect, though a bit snugly at the corners.

I also found out I can clip the whole assembly to my Smart Alec very easily. I have the upper pocket on mine and both the elastic cord and 3 Gate Keepers on the lower part. I can clip one of the S-biners onto the bottom-most clip for the upper pocket and just let it hang, but the other S-biner can also then be clipped to one of the Gate Keeper clips for a more secure connection. This also keeps the Side Effect out of the way of the side pocket on the Smart Alec.

I did just order a few of the TB double carabiners (that come with the new knitting pouches) to play with and I'm going to try these in place of the S-biners next time I fly. They're a little less obtrusive looking (my S-biners are unfinished stainless steel) and the fact that they rotate in the middle seems a little cleaner. I'm just not sure they're quite wide enough to hook over all seatback pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Will the size 4 knitting pouch hold 2 Apple chargers? One for an iPhone and the other for an iPad Mini. Thanks!
    Unfortunately, I don't think the size 4 knitting pouch will hold two chargers. The pouch doesn't have enough depth.

Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think the size 4 knitting pouch will hold two chargers. The pouch doesn't have enough depth.
    Yeah, TB customer service said the same thing so I ordered a small clear organizer pouch. It arrives tomorrow with a new black dyneema/wasabi Side Effect and the mystery forum gift

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0