Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: IMHO I just found a serious flaw in the Synapse 25 :(

Unhappy IMHO I just found a serious flaw in the Synapse 25 :(

I had a water bottle accident today, and my water bottle leaked into the water bottle compartment. Not a huge deal I figured, because surely that compartment designed specifically for a water bottle is sealed.

Unfortunately it is not A small amount at the bottom of that compartment on the left and right opens up into the side pockets, and things in there got wet and destroyed.

Why is such a wonderfully made bag marred by such a small thing? Why didn't the compartment walls just go that 2 inches down?

sad panda.

I believe this is a design component that is essential to the two side pockets and the water bottle pocket not encroaching on each other and the other pockets of the bag. I think I saw it explained elsewhere in the forums.

Explained by Beau in this thread. Synapse 25

Well they may be necessitated by manufacturing constraints, but I still maintain this is a flaw and a nasty one

Its a ding against an otherwise great bag. Now I basically have to not use the side pockets for anything that I don't want to risk getting wet, or don't use the water bottle pocket for a water bottle. Neither option is desirable to me.

I've been lucky so far that when my water bottle has leaked in my S25 that it hasn't been much. I've been thinking of either get a travel stuff sack to put in that pocket and put the water bottle in that or as a less expensive solution but a ziplock back in the pocket for the water bottle.

Been seriously thinking or getting a Smart Alec instead. I just really like the clean look of the S25.

acv
    Do you have a quality water bottle? I have yet to actually have a name brand water bottle leak.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Ughhhh! That's no fun. I've had a water bottle leak once before (I didn't put the lid on properly). Forget which bag I was using but it wasn't the Synapse. Having the water pool in the compartment the bottle was in didn't make the experience a better one, sadly enough. And good to note: even if those small gaps weren't there, it's likely that a seam would be, and a seam could (and probably would, depending on the amount of water) leak. I think any way it happens, a water bottle leaking is just bad news.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    I've been lucky so far that when my water bottle has leaked in my S25 that it hasn't been much. I've been thinking of either get a travel stuff sack to put in that pocket and put the water bottle in that or as a less expensive solution but a ziplock back in the pocket for the water bottle.

Been seriously thinking or getting a Smart Alec instead. I just really like the clean look of the S25.
    I have a ID Messenger bag on back order, but once that comes i'll probably be relegating the S25 to the shelf. Its a great back that i've grown away from rather than closer to.

Quote Originally Posted by acv View Post
    Do you have a quality water bottle? I have yet to actually have a name brand water bottle leak.
    It has a pop top that I forgot to close securely.

Quote Originally Posted by jwvanderbe View Post
    Well they may be necessitated by manufacturing constraints, but I still maintain this is a flaw and a nasty one

Its a ding against an otherwise great bag. Now I basically have to not use the side pockets for anything that I don't want to risk getting wet, or don't use the water bottle pocket for a water bottle. Neither option is desirable to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Glad you brought this up. Those small gaps you both noticed in the side pockets are actually necessitated by the constructions process. Because the pockets of the Synapse 25 have some pretty radical curves, it's nearly impossible to sew them-- those small gaps in the extreme corners of the vertical pocket dividers are a small compromise with the real-world of manufacturing things. They're neither flaws in the design nor the construction.

To be brief: they're supposed to be there.
    Because of the backorder I had to order a Tumi Alpha Brief Pack as a replacement backpack. I still like the design of the Synpase, sorry it wasn't available at a fraction of the cost (and weight,) but I have heard from more than one person that if their water bottle leaks it drains into the two adjourning pockets...why not put the gaps higher-up along the seam (so this wouldn't be such an issue) or lining with a flexible rubber bladder. Mind you I don't have the product, but Tumi did place a "bladder"/rubber lining with drainage to the back/outside of the bag so you shouldn't have a problem like this, but your umbrella/water could escape avoiding problems as well.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I have a ID Messenger bag on back order, but once that comes i'll probably be relegating the S25 to the shelf. Its a great back that i've grown away from rather than closer to.
    I'm sorry for the frustration you obviously have experienced in using this bag, combined with your water bottle. I know I hate it when something doesn't work out IRL as it should in my mind. I will say, if you choose to resell, it will probably will not be for significant loss if any. TB bags seem to hold their value well, and if it becomes a discontinued or htf combination, it will be even more desirable. If this bag plagues you so, let it go, it will be cathartic, and will generate funds to replace it with something you truly love!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

A couple of times, I didn't close the top of my Lifefactory bottle properly.

My bottle is always inside a plastic bag, I reuse bags used to pack bulk dry grocery items.

There was sticky juice inside the plastic bag.

I think I also did it with coconut juice and didn't put the plastic bag right.

It is a user error which as you can see above, chrisc983, Darcy and I can relate to.

You know, you can sell your 25 on ebay, even on ebay charity where the proceed can help your favorite charity.

A lovely forum member, Lani, did that a couple of months ago.

eBay Auctions for Tom Bihn a Great Success! The Travelite FAQ

If the gaps are required from a manufacturing point, and relocating them to the top would achieve the same purpose, then that would indeed be a brilliant idea. Then if the bottle leaks, it will stay in that pocket.

If the gaps are required from a manufacturing point, and relocating them to the top would achieve the same purpose, then that would indeed be a brilliant idea. Then if the bottle leaks, it will stay in that pocket.
    Yeah but they also would have to change the rest of the material in that pocket to also be lined with dyneema as it's using that stretchy material.

nothing wrong with the synapse really. one only has to turn the cap very tightly to prevent any spillage. just make sure you do this every time you put a bottle into the synapse. i mean, water can only, to me, come from a hole in the bottle or a loose cap. no?
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0