Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: IMHO I just found a serious flaw in the Synapse 25 :(

Quote Originally Posted by jwvanderbe View Post
    I had a water bottle accident today, and my water bottle leaked into the water bottle compartment. Not a huge deal I figured, because surely that compartment designed specifically for a water bottle is sealed.

Unfortunately it is not A small amount at the bottom of that compartment on the left and right opens up into the side pockets, and things in there got wet and destroyed.
    Did the spill leak through into the main compartment of the bag or into the front lower pocket?

Just wondering if the seams will let liquids through.

(I'm only a little bit tempted to put some water into my synapse 19 to see what happens ... )
    List under construction ....

Does the Synapse 19 still have this issue (that if the water bottle spills, it will reach the side pockets)?

Quote Originally Posted by rydude87 View Post
    Does the Synapse 19 still have this issue (that if the water bottle spills, it will reach the side pockets)?
    The Synapse 19 hasn't been updated since the OP, so, ostensibly, such an event could occur. I always carry a water bottle in my Synapse, and have done for a year and a half, and this has never happened to me. My advice is to use a quality water bottle and make sure its lid is closed tightly.

I don't know if the 19 is the same as the 25, but in my Synapse 25, the fabric that divides the center pocket from the side pockets is elastic mesh, so water or moisture can be expected to go right through it, holes or not.

Yes the 19 is the same. I view the water bottle pocket and side pockets as a single space with dividers for structure rather than separate pockets..

(mine is fairly new, just prior to the addition of 'rails')

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don't know if the 19 is the same as the 25, but in my Synapse 25, the fabric that divides the center pocket from the side pockets is elastic mesh, so water or moisture can be expected to go right through it, holes or not.
    List under construction ....

My drink of choice is tea so I use a Zojirushi insulated tumbler (aka Thermos) with a locking top similar to this one which fits into the Synapse 19 quite nicely.
    Amazon.com: Zojirushi SM-KHE36AG Stainless Steel Mug, 12-Ounce, Smoky Blue: Kitchen & Dining

There are travel mugs/water bottles which are lighter but I find the leak resistance and excellent thermal insulation to be worth the extra weight. It has a smaller mouth size compared to an insulated Kleen Kanteen so I wouldn't use it for soup like Tynan uses his Kleen Kanteen.

I use something very similar, but it's 24 oz so I can carry more coffee with me. It fits perfectly in the water bottle pocket of my Synapse 25.

Thermos Stainless King 24-Ounce Leak Proof Drink Bottle

I use insulated mugs and water bottles from Contigo. They have an "autoseal" feature that keeps the liquids inside from accidentally spilling out. They even have a locking version if you are really paranoid (which I am ).

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    (I'm only a little bit tempted to put some water into my synapse 19 to see what happens ... )
    Might be worth the trouble. At least if you run the experiment, you'll make sure the other pockets are devoid of objects. Better to find out what it really does now than later, when your valuable goodies are in the bag.

I ended up buying a small backpack from a totally different maker due to this thread. That bag has the hydration pocket segregated from the other parts of the pack and drains straight out the bottom. Thank you to the OP for the heads-up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0