Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: IMHO I just found a serious flaw in the Synapse 25 :(

Operator error is not a "serious flaw" with the bag IMHO

One other thing of note is that if you like cold drinks, it isn't advisable to put the container in the water bottle pocket unless it is insulated or otherwise protected from "sweating". I have learned that lesson with the Lifefactory bottles, they sweat and much of the moisture (thank goodness I only use water) made its way into the main compartment.

acv
    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I have to agree with this. I don't think it's a "serious flaw". It would be a serious challenge to make a waterproof pocket that could hold spilled liquids.

I feel for Tom Bihn and his crew since your posting what you claim to be a serious flaw but really it was just your fault for not securing the lid on your water bottle. It's a bummer but not the fault of the pack.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Of course Tom spotted just such an issue when he designed the Co-Pilot and put in a drain grommet in the bottom of the water bottle pocket.

acv
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Of course Tom spotted just such an issue when he designed the Co-Pilot and put in a drain grommet in the bottom of the water bottle pocket.
    A grommet in this case wouldn't work you'd have to make a drain tube which all seems really difficult.

There are bottles out there that don't sweat and if secured properly don't leak. I carry ice water in my hydro flask on a daily basis and have never had an issue.

Agreed, I have switched to a Hydroflask also and have had no issues since using it. It's good for people to know the pros and limitations of using the water bottle pocket so they can have realistic expectations and plan accordingly.

acv
    Kleen Kanteen - 20oz - insulated for me. Leak proof when the cap is screwed on, water stays cold all day for me, no sweating and best of all fits perfectly in the S25 water bottle pocket.

Just got a Hydroflask because I have been looking for a water bottle for some time now. It's been great! Especially in this hot weather it's great to have ice cold water all day! Wish they made straw caps for the standard mouth flasks though!
    Tzporah likes this.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by acv View Post
    A grommet in this case wouldn't work you'd have to make a drain tube which all seems really difficult.
    I only meant that he'd clearly spotted the issue and had provided an appropriate solution. The problem with the Synapse is the same, even if the solution needs to be different.

What size hydro flask were you able to fit into the S25?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I put an 18oz hydroflask in there. I tried putting the 40 oz in but the fit was so tight, l didn't want to risk damage to the S25.

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I guess you don't drive (or ride in) a car with any of the following equipment then:

safety belts
    bumpers
    airbags
    safety glass

or buy car insurance...

Not being sarcastic, just pointing out that almost every product has to be designed to handle the realities of being human, as in "to err is human..."

---

BTW, my sympathies to the OP, jwvanderbe--sorry to hear you had some stuff damaged. I wish to thank you personally for sharing your experience here, because I was saving up to order a Synapse 25, but with this flaw (or, euphemistically, "design compromise"), it is a no-go. I've unfortunately lost some valuable data/electronics due to accidents over the years, and the recovery or reconstruction of that data can be torturous, if it isn't impossible. I'll do everything in my power to safeguard my gadgets moving forward, and that often includes carefully researching/selecting the bags/cases that stuff goes in.

Thanks again for sharing your experience...
    Last edited by dchang0; 07-24-2013 at 11:53 PM.

what colour is your synapse?
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

I use a 21 ounce.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0