Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Who says short people can't carry big bags?

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    @roadpotato, what does a $180 backpack weigh like?
    Hahaha I have no idea. What I know is that the lighter the pack gets, the more expensive it is, or least for backcountry backpacks anyhoos. Got another one made of dyneema as well from golite.

Attaching an initial photo of the wasabi goodness. I hope it works as I'm only using my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you so much ladies! Glad I chose the S25. It seems to be the perfect fit and just the right amount of space for my travel needs. I'm a petite 5'2" but no complaints on the torso length. I wear my pack high and tight from that bone on the neck (not sure what vertebrae that should be called) and it just sits about an inch or so longer than my usual packs on my lower back. I'm excited to take it on it's first flight tomorrow.

One thing tho... I thought it was indicated on the site that one side pocket comes with an 8" keystrap. I guess they have forgotten to include for my order sadness...

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by roadpotato View Post
    Hahaha I have no idea. What I know is that the lighter the pack gets, the more expensive it is, or least for backcountry backpacks anyhoos.
    ahh, I see. No it's not an ultralight pack or anything. Your Wasabi pic is very nice. I like that combo Steel/Wasabi!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

One thing tho... I thought it was indicated on the site that one side pocket comes with an 8" keystrap. I guess they have forgotten to include for my order sadness...
    Contact Customer Service and let them know you're missing the 8" keystrap. Hopefully, they can resolve the situation!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Oh no! Send me an email at emailus@tombihn.com and I can get this little issue resolved for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Oh no! Send me an email at emailus@tombihn.com and I can get this little issue resolved for you.
    Thanks Beau! Will do that once I get back to civilization off to board my flight in a few. Signal will be scarce.

P.S. I'm amazed how this bag swallowed 4 days of clothing, toiletries, gadgets, laptop in another bag, extra shoes, and so on,

Prompted by backpack's request in the TBAS thread for comparison photos between the Brain Bag, Synapse 25 and Synapse 19 and TXGirl's question about whether or not a Synapse 25 would work on her 5'2" frame (I'm the same height). I decided to have a backpack show. I put between 2 and 4 beach towels into each bag to demonstrate fullness. I know this doesn't show weight and weight distribution, I will comment on that at a later time.
    Let's start with the largest TB backpack the Aeronaut:

You can see it fits me just fine. This bag has been a pleasure for my longer trips, or trips when I want to pack for several family members into one bag. It is comfortable and just makes sense. I love the end pockets for shoes and toiletries and the center for clothing.
    Now the Brain Bag (I borrowed my 8 yo son's)

My son and DH use BB for their travel bags. I like the size, but it is a bit much for a child when fully loaded. One other thing I don't like about the BB is that it doesn't open clamshell, so for a kid, even with packing cubes, keeping organized while living out of a BB is a bit of a challenge.
    Now for the Synapse 25! So it's been said that it's built for taller folks. And I must admit, I love carrying my Synapse 19, but this isn't a bad fit for me at 5'2".

I think this bag and I are going to be great friends! It is so spacious. I ordered the cache with rails (my first cache or any other TB laptop containment method) for my MacBook.

It's a perfect fit, and when my MacBook is in the rails it floats in the Synapse and is very comfortable to carry. Plus there is plenty of room for all of my other stuff, AND built in organization, AND a ton of o-rings to add additional organization, AND it looks amazing in Nordic/Steel. This bag is full of win! I definitely made the right choice! (Thanks Amy).
    So the final backpack is the Synapse 19, the one I have the most personal experience with:

I have used this as a gym bag, pool bag, camp bag, field trip bag, overnight/travel bag, sleepover bag, and knitting bag. It does it all. The organization cannot be beat, I haven't seen it's rival in a backpack. Also it always holds WAY more than you think it can. There seems to be some sort of blackhole inside of it!
    For giggles I also took pictures of my first TB travel bag love, my Western Flyer:

See how nicely this bag just fits me?

It looks like Tom made it just for me!

I cannot extol the wondeful features of my Western Flyer enough. It is perfect for a solo trip of 5 or fewer days for me. I can always manage carrying it. It's never too heavy. The compartmentalization and packing cubes work together to contain and protect my things. And it just looks great!

So IMHO I think SP can use the big bags. TXGirl, the 25 fits me just fine

Here are a shot of the bags side by side for those who have one or the other.

And a final of my backpacks side by side. Note proportions are slightly off since the hooks are spaced slightly closer than the bags would be if not suspended. L to R Brain Bag in Olive, Synapse 25 Nordic/Steel, Synapse 19 UV/Steel, Ruck's Sack Sapphire/Olive

I hope this helps those who have questions about the sizing of the bags on a person.

There are more pics on flickr, but I couldn't post them all here due to post limitations.
    This backpack looks perfect on you! and it is very usefull.

Prompted by backpack's request in the TBAS thread for comparison photos between the Brain Bag, Synapse 25 and Synapse 19 and TXGirl's question about whether or not a Synapse 25 would work on her 5'2" frame (I'm the same height). I decided to have a backpack show. I put between 2 and 4 beach towels into each bag to demonstrate fullness. I know this doesn't show weight and weight distribution, I will comment on that at a later time.
    Let's start with the largest TB backpack the Aeronaut:

You can see it fits me just fine. This bag has been a pleasure for my longer trips, or trips when I want to pack for several family members into one bag. It is comfortable and just makes sense. I love the end pockets for shoes and toiletries and the center for clothing.
    Now the Brain Bag (I borrowed my 8 yo son's)

My son and DH use BB for their travel bags. I like the size, but it is a bit much for a child when fully loaded. One other thing I don't like about the BB is that it doesn't open clamshell, so for a kid, even with packing cubes, keeping organized while living out of a BB is a bit of a challenge.
    Now for the Synapse 25! So it's been said that it's built for taller folks. And I must admit, I love carrying my Synapse 19, but this isn't a bad fit for me at 5'2".

I think this bag and I are going to be great friends! It is so spacious. I ordered the cache with rails (my first cache or any other TB laptop containment method) for my MacBook.

It's a perfect fit, and when my MacBook is in the rails it floats in the Synapse and is very comfortable to carry. Plus there is plenty of room for all of my other stuff, AND built in organization, AND a ton of o-rings to add additional organization, AND it looks amazing in Nordic/Steel. This bag is full of win! I definitely made the right choice! (Thanks Amy).
    So the final backpack is the Synapse 19, the one I have the most personal experience with:

I have used this as a gym bag, pool bag, camp bag, field trip bag, overnight/travel bag, sleepover bag, and knitting bag. It does it all. The organization cannot be beat, I haven't seen it's rival in a backpack. Also it always holds WAY more than you think it can. There seems to be some sort of blackhole inside of it!
    For giggles I also took pictures of my first TB travel bag love, my Western Flyer:

See how nicely this bag just fits me?

It looks like Tom made it just for me!

I cannot extol the wondeful features of my Western Flyer enough. It is perfect for a solo trip of 5 or fewer days for me. I can always manage carrying it. It's never too heavy. The compartmentalization and packing cubes work together to contain and protect my things. And it just looks great!

So IMHO I think SP can use the big bags. TXGirl, the 25 fits me just fine

Here are a shot of the bags side by side for those who have one or the other.

And a final of my backpacks side by side. Note proportions are slightly off since the hooks are spaced slightly closer than the bags would be if not suspended. L to R Brain Bag in Olive, Synapse 25 Nordic/Steel, Synapse 19 UV/Steel, Ruck's Sack Sapphire/Olive

I hope this helps those who have questions about the sizing of the bags on a person.

There are more pics on flickr, but I couldn't post them all here due to post limitations.
    This backpack looks perfect on you! and it is very usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    My question is, how do you use the PCBP and PCSB on your trips? I've been traveling with the WF and my S19, which worked well. I'm wondering if I should purchase a PCBP or PCSB for the Aeronaut (or WF, for that matter) in place of the S19 on a trip. That seems a bit unfathomable to me because I love the organization of the S19 so much. I'm going to Israel next spring and want to one-bag it with my Aeronaut and am trying to plan out way in advance what I'll use so I can take it on a practice run!

Thanks in advance for any advice any of you have on this!
    Whoops for missing this question.
    I use the PCBP as a packing cube on the trip in my WF or Aeronaut and for shorter by car trips solo. I pack into it my outerwear bundle style in the WF and rolled in the Aeronaut. When I get to my destination it's a useable daypack, laundry bag, or shopping bag depending on where I go and what's going on.
    The PCSB I use to contain unders, nighties, and socks. At destination it may become a day bag, or kid bag depending on the trip.
    Using the pair in place of the S19 would be lighter to carry, but you would loose out on the organization and comfort. Before making the decision, maybe isolate what you intend to schlep around all day on your trip and see which of these would better contain it? The PCSB can at least be outfitted with the Absolute Strap if needed. I like having the options so for me this system works, and if I go shopping crazy on my trip, the packing cubes work just as well outside of the travel bag to carry either clothing, or souvenirs home.
    You can fit the S19 within the Aeronaut, but it would sacrifice space for clothing, or whatever else you intended to bring. If you have your clothing paired down to a minimal amount of travel clothing that is less spacious and resistant to wrinkling when crammed a bit, the S19 may be a great complement.

Great advice, Dorayme; thanks. I used the Aeronaut on my vacation a couple of weeks ago and found it's so roomy that I will almost always be able to cram all my purchases into it as well as all my clothes. I couldn't believe how much I could cram in there; always a little pocket of space left over! I ended up using my brand new small Shop Bag as a day bag on that trip and it was great! Of course, we were in the car for much of that particular day, so it served more as a beach bag and snack bag on that day. I think the good setup is Aeronaut on its own with a SCB and Shop Bag, and the WF, S19 and SCB for smaller trips. Mainly I just like to take a bunch of TB bags with me on every trip, ha!
    dorayme likes this.

You aren't the only one. I too love to find different uses for my TB bags and mix it up from trip to trip!

Love the Ultraviolet Synapse 19! Can't believe I missed out on it - when was that on sale?

Thanks so much for this post. I am 5'1.5" (156 cm) and I've always wondered which TB bags would be "appropriate". Contemplating the Tristar and the Synapse 19. Very helpful!

@Tania68, I'm 5'0" and I own a WF and an Aeronaut and a Synapse 19 and all are perfectly fine. I have the rolling luggage version of the WF and can carry it with no problem. The Aeronaut, just because it can carry so much and I tend to fill up a bag, can be kinda heavy, but no problem if worn as a backpack. It's big, but it does the trick, especially if you're going on a trip in winter and want to take a few bulky items. The Synapse 19 is just perfect for our size, in true Goldilocks fashion! I've never had a backpack fit so perfectly on my frame, and it carries much more than you'd think!

Count me as another 5'0" person who loves her new Synapse 19. I'm SO accustomed to never finding anything that fits me perfectly, ever, that I'm considering buying another S19 in a different color just BECAUSE I CAN.

I mean I love my Smart Alec, WF, and Aeronaut too, but the S19 is just amazing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0