Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: My Adventures with the Synapse 19

My Adventures with the Synapse 19

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to the Tom Bihn line of bags. So far, I am loving it! I didn't know that having a nice pack with its simple yet effective design can make life so much easier!

What I love most about the 19 and the Synapse design is its ease of access. Everything is just one zipper away. And what puts the icing on the cake is its pouches and organizers. All of my items are in some type of pouch/organizers. It keeps thins divided, and safe.

I primarily use my pack for work as I work in a facility where I can't always just go to my locker and grab things. I have to have my things with me at all times.

What I will use this thread for is to take pics of my current setups, cool little "aha moments" with the synapse (if I find some kind of innovative way to organize something etc), and also pics of my synapse when I travel.

I am also planning on exclusively taking my 19 to Kauai in April 2014, so packing
    lists will also be included.

6/15 my current work setup:

Bottom pocket: %85 filled.

Small Mesh Pouch: First Aid Kit
    3d Clear Organizer Pouch: Maelstrom x10 work light, Radio, Work Book
    Attachment 4133

Left pocket: %65 filled.

Maxpedition Micro Organizer: Pen, Pencil, Sharpie, Hiliter, USB, Mini multi tool, Bic Lighter, Chapstick, Floss, SAK, Headphones.

Mini Clear Pouch: iPhone charger! For quick access!

Right pocket: %90 filled

Insulated Thermos for Coffee. I work nights so this is a must!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371358652.751294.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  135.5 KB
    Bottom middle pocket: %90 filled

Mini Clear Pouch: Work Essential that go in my pocket once I'm at work - Pen, AAA light, work keys, eye drops, work badge.

Top middle pocket: %80 filled

Big ol' steel canteen for water.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371358682.893808.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  144.6 KB
    Main compartment: %30 filled.

3d clear organizer: it is rigged to the top of the compartment for easy access using two size 0 nite Ize carabiners attached to two key rings attached to both black tabs on top. - Utensils, Napkins, Gloves.

Tristar Small packing cube - bottom of compartment - Umbrella, Beanie, gloves, scarf for the cold nights.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Seabass25; 06-16-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Work setup diagram:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371358972.904662.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  93.6 KB

Now that is just very cool, your pics, descriptions and the last pic with arrows! How do you do the arrows and descriptions? I really enjoyed seeing your set up. Especially like the Nitize carabiner set with 3D organizer cube! I have a Synapse 19 and will be ordering a 25, but want to wait to see if they will have a Nordic / Iberian one!!

Thank you!! I have an organizer cube. After seeing your photos I figured out that if I put a small key strap through each of the loops meant for the cache I could attach the cube and have another interior pocket. I love it.
    Thanks again,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

this is too cool. How did you rig up the 3d clear organizer cube to hang? did you thread the key ring to something?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    this is too cool. How did you rig up the 3d clear organizer cube to hang? did you thread the key ring to something?
    It's pretty simple you basically take two key rings and attach it to the two tabs on top of the main compartment:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371440862.251072.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  103.6 KB

Then you take two Nite Ize Size 0 S biners an attach it to the 3d organizer;
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371440895.877762.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  81.0 KB

Then you just attach the s Biner to the key ring and wa la!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371440926.190149.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  98.5 KB

Now it sits perfectly on top
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371440951.389587.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  88.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Anniegill View Post
    Now that is just very cool, your pics, descriptions and the last pic with arrows! How do you do the arrows and descriptions? I really enjoyed seeing your set up. Especially like the Nitize carabiner set with 3D organizer cube! I have a Synapse 19 and will be ordering a 25, but want to wait to see if they will have a Nordic / Iberian one!!
    I use the iPhone app called skitch to draw the arrows on any pic:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371441022.867244.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  61.1 KB

I use my iPhone and the app called Tapatalk to access this forum (along with other forums) so it's pretty handy

Another cool thing I did with the 3d clear organizer on the bottom pocket is I used two small key straps and attach it from the 3d organizer to the two orings. So when you pull out the organizer, it comes out evenly (like a drawer if you will). I don't know, maybe it's just the OCD in me to like things symmetrical
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371441155.137242.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  91.1 KB

I am just down loading Skitch, thanks Seabass25, I will try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Anniegill View Post
    I am just down loading Skitch, thanks Seabass25, I will try it!
    My pleasure! You'd be surprised how often you will be using this app
    Last edited by Seabass25; 06-17-2013 at 04:26 PM.

ha...you have the new synapse which has the built in tabs. I don't have that....just O-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    ha...you have the new synapse which has the built in tabs. I don't have that....just O-rings.

The new batch of Synapses have the tabs and 2 O-Rings in the lower pocket instead of one.

Could new Synapses owners could tell us how many O rings there are in the latest batch?

PS: No, I don't -need- a Synapse 25, but I might not resit it anyway!
    Last edited by backpack; 06-18-2013 at 06:12 AM.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Thanks for sharing Seabass25. I have a Synapse19 and adore it. I ordered a Synapse25 which should be here tomorrow (Wednesday) to use at The Rock | A Christ-centered Summer Camp Adventure in North Carolina. Dh and I are staffers. We love camp ministry and have been participative in camp for the last 13 summers in one way or another. I found out tonight I'm going to be running the mini camp (staff children 7 down to 9 weeks) so I'm very glad to have a larger backpack coming my way. I'm probably going to be hauling around a lot of waterbottles, and other goodies for the littles in my charge, all week!
    I love your tethering method for the 3-d cube. I think I will pop over to the First Aid kit thread, make my 3-D cube into a FAK! I envision the PCSB also being useful in the lower pocket containing snacks, books or possibly our parachute, or in the main compartment similarly tethered.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Backpack, I found 2 O rings at the back of the main compartment, one in each of the other pockets and 3 in the bottom pocket. All these are in the 25.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 06-18-2013 at 03:42 AM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Thanks for sharing Seabass25. I have a Synapse19 and adore it. I ordered a Synapse25 which should be here tomorrow (Wednesday) to use at The Rock | A Christ-centered Summer Camp Adventure in North Carolina. Dh and I are staffers. We love camp ministry and have been participative in camp for the last 13 summers in one way or another. I found out tonight I'm going to be running the mini camp (staff children 7 down to 9 weeks) so I'm very glad to have a larger backpack coming my way. I'm probably going to be hauling around a lot of waterbottles, and other goodies for the littles in my charge, all week!
    I love your tethering method for the 3-d cube. I think I will pop over to the First Aid kit thread, make my 3-D cube into a FAK! I envision the PCSB also being useful in the lower pocket containing snacks, books or possibly our parachute, or in the main compartment similarly tethered.
    Definitely for your needs, the 25 will probably be a better fit. Are you going to keep both 19 and 25? It sell the 19? Great idea for the FAK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0