Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ceb
  • 1 Post By lotuseater

Thread: A tale of three straps - Standard, Absolute and RedOxx Claw

ceb

A tale of three straps - Standard, Absolute and RedOxx Claw

For the last three days I've had meetings about 2 miles from my office. There was no parking at the meeting site so I had two choices - public transit or walking.

Because the weather was OK (Monday was a little iffy and I cheated and took public transit one way) I decided to walk.

I was carrying my x-230 (fits nicely in the Mac 13 Ristretto), an iPad, an ARC notebook and dumped my watch, two cell phones (with belt clips), pens, change and keys into the bag as well in order to speed my way into the meeting - so about 6lbs. I'm wearing a suit.

A while ago I had attached a standard strap to the Ristretto which was fine from/to the car and from the car to the office.

Day 1 - standard strap - about halfway there I'm thinking "let me put this on the other shoulder."
    Day 2 - Red Oxx "Claw" (often compared to Absolute strap) - when I get to the meeting I'm thinking "much better than yesterday, but it clanked the whole way, looked out of place and scrunched up the suit jacket because it just won't slip at all."
    Day 3 - Absolute strap - albout halfway there I'm thinking "did I leave the bag at the office?" and on the way back I checked again.

The standard strap is fine for very light loads (iPad, pocket book etc) but as soon as you add any weight - even a three pound computer - you start to notice the weight.

The Red Oxx is better than most other straps out there but it certainly isn't attractive, it makes noise and isn't good for suits.

The Absolute strap is the cat's meow. I never realized how good the strap was because I always carried fairly heavy loads in my TriStar/Aeronaut and they were always heavy - no strap can fix that.

Everybody - regardless of brand of bag carried - needs two absolute straps.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Absolutely fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post

Everybody - regardless of brand of bag carried - needs two absolute straps.

Amen! I have a couple of Red Oxx bags and several TB bags. The Red Oxx strap, while good, is not only noisy but heavy as lead. I immediately replaced all with absolute straps -- they are like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Absolutely fabulous!
    There's no need to drag Purdey into this thread :-)
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

I have, ahem, more Absolute Straps than can fit on my shoulders ... and my wife's. (Why no cheesy grin emoticons, TB?) For heavier loads, no other choice. For laptop bags, there is no doubt in my mind. But I find having two Absolute Straps on different shoulders, frankly, a bit tricky. A bit too much bounce going on to keep everything in rhythm. So I tend to use my long discontinued Terra Grip on my WF instead. Zero slip, some cushion, slim profile. Shame they are no longer an option.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0