Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: My Nordic Small Shop Bag is kind of blowing my mind

My Nordic Small Shop Bag is kind of blowing my mind

This is a sweet unexpected unintentional fall-in-love situation. I ordered the Nordic Small Shop Bag primarily out of curiosity, because I wanted to see the Nordic Dyneema in person. I felt guilty ordering it, knowing that I have an obscene number of grubby tote bags. My boyfriend shook his head at my impulsiveness, pointing at aforementioned pile of tote bags. But I kept it in the shopping cart, clicked Order, and didn't give it another thought until it arrived a couple of weeks ago.

Out of my substantial order of TB accessories, the shop bag has seen the most use since its arrival. It looks way more polished and professional than the usual grubby totes I use to schlep groceries around, so I don't feel as self-conscious around the office when I carry it in and out. Sometimes I only want to go out and find a place to read, and I don't feel like hauling my Smart Alec along with me for a casual lunch jaunt -- the shop bag is the perfect size for a book or magazine. It's sturdy and foldable, so last-minute "emergencies", like smuggling in a pile of potato chips into a bar, are easily doable with the shop bag that I now carry in my SA almost all the time now.

Yes, the guilty feeling is still there, but Nordic dyneema is so pretty ... please let me me revel in my infatuation with my Nordic Small Shop Bag for just a little while longer ...

I'm with you on this - I have a small Nordic SB too.

I already had a steel small SB which I use a lot and thought another would be useful, so ordered the nordic small and a UV large with my last order. The cheap or free branded bags have been relegated to uses where my lovely dyneema bags would risk getting grubby.

The nordic is a little stiffer and more wrinkle resistant due to the heavier wt of dyneema so I often grab it first to go to the library or shops etc.

The steel one is now permanently installed in the bottom front pocket of my Synapse19 for those unexpected purchases.
    List under construction ....

Volunteer Moderator
    I used to feel guilty about the number of shop bags I'd ordered, but I use them all the time. The 400D Nordic Dyneema has this lovely silky sheen in addition to the lovely blue color. Daisy, I also keep a small Shop Bag stashed in my Synapse 19, but in the side pocket that's on the right, as you face the front of the bag. It's folded down above the tag, and then semi-rolled. I find it easy to access there, and the bottom pocket gets used to hold 3-D Clear Organizer or Side Effect sized pouches.

I took my Nordic Dyneema SSB to the grocery store last week. Usually I do the "check out yourself" aisle, but one of the aisles was completely empty and the checker looked bored, so I went to her and let her check me out.

She filled my bag, and as she lifted it into my cart, she stopped and looked at it for a minute. She put it in the cart and said, "That's a nice bag." I agreed with her.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    She filled my bag, and as she lifted it into my cart, she stopped and looked at it for a minute. She put it in the cart and said, "That's a nice bag." I agreed with her.
    I generally still end up with a plastic bag as (a) I'm too slow to whip the shopbag into position and (b) if I give them even a small shopbag, the assistant will simply fill it to the top (heaven forbid I hand over the large one)... the inbuilt load (ie burst) limit of the plastic bags makes them make manageable groupings of items.... besides I use the biodegradable plastic bags for dog waste..
    List under construction ....

My UV Large Shopping Bag is my produce bag.

My old travel bags are the other grocery bags and I have 2 large and one lunch size isolated bag for cold and frozen stuff.

I do bulk shopping.

And everybody like my Tom Bihn setup (which varies but right now is a Nordic and UV symphony)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The content of a couple of spam posts I just deleted from this thread:

"Nice post!.... Sometimes shopping bag is called reusable bags.This type of shopping bag can be reused several times by using single paper .The Nordic pole bag is made in australia. It is two sizes padded and custom. The small bag is best for adjustable poles .while the large bag fits all lengths .The large bag can be folded and convenient to carriage the bag with an adjustable shoulder strap.
    Yes the Nordic bags is so pretty. But your guilty feeling is still there."

(I know, reposting spam? But I thought it was pretty funny.)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hmmmm thanks for the FURTHER temptation! I like them as well but I think they should include some loops/rings to give the option of adding a shoulder strap. Just my thoughts. Also I don't see the large available in Nordic.
    I do REALLY like how it will fold up into one of the pockets too.

EDIT: I would like to see some pictures of someone carrying the bags for better scale if thats possible. Thinking of getting one for the wife when I place my next order.
    Last edited by kamperdog; 07-12-2013 at 05:20 AM.

kamperdog, the Nordic dyneema is slowly getting phased out. Once the existing stock is gone, no more Nordic ... forever?! I also noticed that the Large Shop Bag isn't offered in Nordic anymore, so the phasing out has already actively begun.

There aren't too many pics of people carrying the shop bags, but you can see a few in the Tom Bihn shop bag Flickr set. dorayme is in one of the pics, holding an Iberian large shop bag. There's another pic, of a little girl dragging (what looks like) an Iberian large shop bag.

Size-wise, the small shop bag is roughly comparable to a supermarket plastic bag. The large shop bag is roughly comparable to a supermarket paper bag. I'm 5'4", and I find that the small shop bag works best for my needs at this point -- light shopping, carrying a few books and lunch.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    kamperdog, the Nordic dyneema is slowly getting phased out. Once the existing stock is gone, no more Nordic ... forever?! I also noticed that the Large Shop Bag isn't offered in Nordic anymore, so the phasing out has already actively begun.
    Breaking news: we had a change of heart and are bringing Nordic back. It's going to be a little while, though (remember Nordic is custom dyed to our specifications/made for us in Japan) so some Nordic options (such as the Large Shop Bag) will be temporarily removed from the website...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Breaking news: we had a change of heart and are bringing Nordic back. It's going to be a little while, though (remember Nordic is custom dyed to our specifications/made for us in Japan) so some Nordic options (such as the Large Shop Bag) will be temporarily removed from the website...
    "HOORAY!" said all the Nordic loving Bihn-aholics!

Maybe it's time I order me some Nordic gear too...
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Glad you're bringing Nordic back. I am looking forward to ordering a Nordic Large Shop Bag. I really like my small Nordic SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Breaking news: we had a change of heart and are bringing Nordic back.
    This is excellent and heartening news! I'd been waiting to bite the bullet on a number of items in Nordic (Synapse 25? Smart Alec? Shop Bags?) and should have learned from past experience not to wait. Now with this news, as well as the return of Solar, I am complete. [sighs happily]

I can hear the aftermarket sighing 'OH NO, now we can't eBay it as a Rare discontinued Tom Bihn color'.

I bought 3 Nordic shop bags and co-pilot just because it was an endangered species; but I'm a fan of limited editions, alternate covers, phased out colors, and fun stuff like that.

So thank you Darcy for being our #1 enabler. I wonder if the upcoming Hobbit movie will have Smaug on top of a huge treasure of Bihn bags, rather than gold, and torching anyone who comes near while muttering "mineminemine".
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Great to hear!!! Hopefully that might mean seeing stuff sacks, more pouches, and organizers in Nordic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0