Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Western Flyer & Cadet: A Tale of Two Trips

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    Today, pursuing my endless quest for the perfect packing tools, i was checking out the eagle creek packing folders. They seemed really heavy so i checked the weight on the EC website. The 18" specter version is 8oz and the regular one is a full lb! The large TB packing cube for the WF is 4 oz and the backpack packing cube is 7 oz. Now, do i get the large packing cube or the backpack or both??? Needless to say i bought a few specter packing cubes.
    But remember that there is a significant difference between a packing folder (the plastic insert and the four velcro wings that allow compression) and a relatively simple packing cube.

That said, TB packing cubes are much better made and still significantly lighter and more pliable that cubes from Eagle Creek or eBags. I've replaced most of my EC cubes with TB cubes for those reasons but I still keep a few folders about.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Yes, the larger tb cubes are lighter than the Ec ones but the EC quarter cubes are lighter and more flexible than the TB ONES ( though not as lovely as the tb organizer cubes). My issues are more often about weight than about quantity of stuff i can pack. By going with a combination of tb and specter cubes i can meet all my packing cube organizer needs for less than the weight of one EC packing folder. And if I succumb to the lure of a dyneema wf i can save a total of about a pound.

Today, pursuing my endless quest for the perfect packing tools, i was checking out the eagle creek packing folders. They seemed really heavy so i checked the weight on the EC website. The 18" specter version is 8oz and the regular one is a full lb! The large TB packing cube for the WF is 4 oz and the backpack packing cube is 7 oz. Now, do i get the large packing cube or the backpack or both??? Needless to say i bought a few specter packing cubes.
    I stopped using the 15" and 18" EC folders some time ago precisely because of the weight, and because they have a tendency to bulge in the middle which in turn can cause each compartment of the WF or TS to do so. The TB cubes are much easier to pack flat but I hadn't realized that they are lighter even than EC's spectra folders.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

The TB cubes are lighter than the EC folders for sure, but I have not had the best luck packing dress shirts into them unless the cube is quite full. I always default to the cubes for casual travel, but the folders are invaluable for minimizing having to iron at my destination. Actually, I never iron so I don't know what I'm talking about—what I meant was to minimize looking rumpled.
    SusanM likes this.

Yes, the larger tb cubes are lighter than the Ec ones but the EC quarter cubes are lighter and more flexible than the TB ONES ( though not as lovely as the tb organizer cubes). My issues are more often about weight than about quantity of stuff i can pack. By going with a combination of tb and specter cubes i can meet all my packing cube organizer needs for less than the weight of one EC packing folder. And if I succumb to the lure of a dyneema wf i can save a total of about a pound.
    You need to succumb to the lure of the Dyneema WF.

"Jannileee come to my page and see how beautiful I am" says the WF

Western Flyer - Carry-on travel bag can be used as a briefcase or backpack - TOM BIHN

Ironing - best avoided through smart fabric choices and smarter packing I found a plastic sheet that's reasonably rigid yet thinner and lighter than the EC folder template, and I cut it down to size. If I'm only travelling for 1-2 nights and my PCBP isn't full all the way, I insert the sheet to add some structure without much weight (about 2oz). EC no longer get any $$$ from this traveller.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Ah yes, Backpack! I have visited the wf page a number of times. If there were a steel dyneema /uv combo I think I'd be a goner. As it is I am finding it a little tough to justify $210 for a 4 oz wt saving when my steel/uv WF, uv/steel synapse and steel dyneema/solar copilot coordinate so well.

Nice to read some good reviews on the Cadet. I think my next plan is to sell some of my current TB bags and get a Cadet. I find that there are times when a briefcase style bag is just what I need.

My wife has the WF and it does strike me as huge when she travels with it. But I am a bit shocked as to how much the OP can fit in it. Seems like my Aeronaut fills quickly when I start to add my tiny size 10 running shoes.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0