• 1 Post By ScottE22
  • 1 Post By daisy
  • 3 Post By Miking
  • 1 Post By dasher
  • 1 Post By NickA
  • 1 Post By BOBD

Thread: My Western Flyer Review

My Western Flyer Review

Let me first say I've drank the kool-aid on using less than max carry on size bags. I've mostly used small back packs. But, I do have a couple of small Red Oxx duffle bags that I like a lot. I've had my eye on the Western Flyer for a long time. I wanted something a little more professional looking. I wanted the steel color but every time I would go to order it would be out of stock so I would put the order off. I had a trip coming up for work so I thought I would go a head and order the WF. You guessed it the steel color was back ordered until after my trip. My wife talked me into ordering the Navy color, So I did. When I opened the bag it looked great, but small, which is why I wanted it. Days before my trip I was issued a me 17" laptop for work and I had to take it on this trip. I thought well there goes my one bag drip down the drain, or at least with the WF. I began to pack the WF for the trip and to my surprize it all fit, laptop and all.

This was only an over night trip so it was a good first test for the WF. I used both the back pack straps and the absolute strap both worked great. I had to fly from Atlanta to Orlando on Delta. I don't know if you've had to fly that route but the plane is full of familys from all over the world going to Disney. So with my WF in hand I waited until the last moment to board. As I reached the door to the plane I saw all the rol-a-boards that had to be gate checked. I thought this may not be good. As the person infront of me stopped to gate check his bag the gate person just waved me by. As I reached my seat there was no place to put my bag. This was no problem for me I just slid it under the seat infront of me with no problem. The bag worked great the entire trip and I was very happy with the color and the size. I could go for weeks with nothing more than this bag and I will at some point in the near future.

As I took the bag into my company meeting it looked right at home with all the black computer bags I had many people ask about the bag and where I got it. The were shocked to see it was also by bag for my cloths. I can't think of one thing I would change on the bag. It just worked great as it is.

I liked the bag so well I'm going to order another one in steel for my wife, wink, wink.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by BOBD; 05-05-2013 at 08:47 AM.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I'm a big fan of the WF and am glad you love it too!

Volunteer Moderator
    Great story and pics. I have the WF in Navy/Solar. A quick comment that the current color offerings for the Western Flyer are for the Steel 400D Dyneema (with the grid pattern of white fibers that is the Dyneema), and not the Steel Ballistic Nylon that you may prefer for the corporate environment.

my favourite thing to do with the WF is to slip in under the seat in front of me in an easy-peasy-breazy motion :-)
    snowbot likes this.
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

I also have the WF, but have only used it once. I was moving, and had a requirement of only 20lbs. carry-on and a I stuffed the Western Flyer with an iPad, Macbook Air 11", kindle, chargers, change of clothes and some other odds and ends, coming out at 19lbs. I don't know how people carry on (even as a backpack) the bigger "regulation" size bags like the Tri-star or Aeronot. I'm 5'6" and the bag fits well for me as a backpack, and I also used the sholder strap, though at 19lbs. it was too heavy really for the strap. I'm going to try to use it for a European trip, and will certainly take photos if I take it!

Just think how much would fit in there without a gargantuan 17" laptop! I didn't even know anyone still used such big laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Just think how much would fit in there without a gargantuan 17" laptop! I didn't even know anyone still used such big laptops.
    17" laptop! so you feel my pain. I normaly travel with my ipad mini or at most my 13' Macbook pro. My company must have got a deal on these things. It's a nice lap top, the only problem is it's size and it runs windows. But the WF had no problem carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBD View Post
    17" laptop! so you feel my pain. I normaly travel with my ipad mini or at most my 13' Macbook pro. My company must have got a deal on these things. It's a nice lap top, the only problem is it's size and it runs windows. But the WF had no problem carrying it.
    Sounds like someone needs an 11" MacBook Air! The bonus when I carry my 11" Air is not having to take it out to pass through the security checkpoint...
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

They're out there - there was much sadness in this house when Apple discontinued the 17" MBP - a wonderful laptop for a consultant who likes a lot of screen real estate (and cannot always have an external screen at a client site.) This is a man who uses his ipad as an adjunct to his laptop not a replacement :-)

The WF worked very nicely as computer bag/carryon for my colleague recently - the bag could go in the overhead and the braincell act to protect the MBP under the seat during takeoff, then all back into the WF at landing.

The thing he regretted NOT taking along????

His cadet!
    List under construction ....

Speaking of using an iPad as an adjunct to a laptop, I use Avatron's Air Display quite a bit. For those who haven't seen it, essentially it makes an iPad an external monitor connected over wifi, with the MacBook Pro 15" and an iPad it gives you about 150 square inches vs the 17" MBP's approximately 130 square inches.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2685
Size:  414.6 KB

Oh, and it looks bitchin'!

How do you avoid having to take out the MBA? Is it so small they think its an ipad and let it by? Good tip!!
    THANKS!

BOBD Thanks for the review and pictures.

Have you used the bag again on any more trips since?

Nick, yes several times without the 17" laptop. It is just a great bag, the more I use it, the more I like it.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0