Like Tree17Likes
  • 10 Post By backpack
  • 2 Post By Darcy
  • 3 Post By backpack
  • 2 Post By backpack

Thread: Travel Dyneema Aeronaute, Tristar, Synapse 19, SCB and many Dyneema accessories!

Travel Dyneema Aeronaute, Tristar, Synapse 19, SCB and many Dyneema accessories!

In honor of the late Roger Ebert, I can say that my TB load got many many thumbs ups from everybody!

The bags received compliment on the beauty of their fabric, Nordic is very dreamy and a stunning stand out over all the bags at the airports and hotel lobbies.

Steel is also stunning while not as much as a stand out.

I checked my Nordic Aeronaut once, I spotted it on the carousel from far away but I was not fast enough to get to it until it had turn the corner on the other side, I got scared it would not came around.

I got it but that scare means that this bag is going to be carry on only, from now on.

Fully packed with UV Packing Cube Backpacks,one for the Aeronaut for pants and socks andone for the Tristar for tops, UV Packing Cube Shoulder bag on one end pocket and Large Travel Stuff Sack in the other containing foundation and sleep garments then were repurposed to hold purchases.

The Mesh Pocket was perfect to ensure I had packed the foldable slippers in their zip plastic bags before closing the bag. (give it to the Tom Bihn Crew to make a "mesh is not for me" person into "that Mesh Pocket is something else" traveller)

I allegedly bought the Steel Tristar for my husband, unfortunately for him, I feel in love with the bag.

After a rough start trying to pack my first bag with a butterfly set up, I used folder pockets to flatten my husband's load, one on each side for tops and bottoms and a Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaute in the center compartment for the other garments.

(I would like to thank Eric, FC on the forum, for suggesting this set up which saved me time and sanity every time I had to repack the Tristar load)

The Synapse 19, which had no number when I got it, has been as wonderful as a traveller's "laptop" bag as an EDC.

The FJN was left at home with the EDC UV Synapse.

Instead, the ever useful Clear Quarter Packing Cube was repurposed as a small size documents/stuff carry all and used with a Sapphire Large Clear Organizer Pouch for print outs of important documents/reservations.

My beautiful Nordic Synapse earned its Laptop Bag designation by holding an iPad Mini inside a keyboard case.
    I also brought its regular cover inside a Medium Padded Pouch but it was used to protect my pocket mirror as all the travelling, unpacking and the numerous airport checkpoints made me weary of moving the iPad Mini from the hardcase.

I look forward to the FJN for iPad as a analogue and digital pair alternative, to this aim, I already bought a dual pen/stylus.

Let me just say that the Synapse inside pocket is ideal, even on a very much stuffed Synapse, I was always able to feel my way into it to get the iPad Mini in or out either from a cramped car front seat, even tighter airline seats courtesy of my fellow leaning passengers.

The side and front pocket held my EDC plus a portable fishing scale to make sure I was within the luggage weight requirement of the European Airline.

The Nordic/UV SCB was an impulse purchase which turned out to be perfect, it was called "cute" almost as many time my husband was called "nice".

It fits the European Airlines requirement of "purse" when added to the Synapse "laptop" bag and Aeronaut carry on and can be stuffed temporarily in a food carrying bag if a gate person warns, prior to boarding, to "consolidate into two bags".

It is also, just like its Cordura fellow SCB, a really great car travel bag, especially at rest stops.
    Dyneema having the added bonus of being able to be wiped out clean as we all know that rest stops and airport sinks always have water everywhere.

And, while I am not a Mom, I believe a Dyneema LCB would be great for travelling with babies in diapers, toodlers or younger children for lightweight portable clean up station on the road.
    I could even extend this to pets.

The lightweight Dyneema of the Packing Cubes and Travel Stuff Sack made precision packing and repacking under time constraint a very efficient and pleasant process.

The slickness of the fabric made it very easy to dig for lighter weight pants in a rest stop parking lot under windy, cold but sunny condition which turned the inside of a car in something of a toasty place.

Dyneema Pouches and Cubes are great at playing color coded "yes that stuff is there and this is the space for it "

In conclusion, the Travel Dyneema Aeronaute, Tristar, 19 Synapse, Small Cafe Bag and their Lightweight Dyneema packing helpers are a winning team for stress free packing.

PS: Review is also a packing list of sorts, my mind is not clear enough to craft two posts that would not be overlapping,

PPS: Sorry for any spelling, syntax and other errors the spellchecker and my mind did not catch.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-06-2013 at 10:06 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    In honor of the late Roger Ebert, I can say that my TB load got many many thumbs ups from everybody!
    backpack, just wanted to share with you Justin Lancy's post on Roger Ebert -- A Leave Of Presence. Thought you might appreciate it.

And I hear you on Dyneema: almost every bag I have (with the exception of my Little Swift in Cork) is Dyneema/nylon of one color or another. It's simply an amazing fabric.
    backpack and Lara like this.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thank You So Very Much, Darcy!

Two quotes, on this wonderful article, resonated very much with me:

From Roger Ebert:

“I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.”

And also from my one of my favorite work "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry:

“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.”

It reminded me that every artistic, personal or travel journey is always challenging to one's heart, mind and body.

I have always been in awe of that quote from Cynthia Moss, leading elephant researcher in Amboseli National Park: "Within a week, I had this overwhelming sense that I'd come home. I felt, this is where I belong, this is where my body belongs."

I had the privilege of meeting her, a sense of inner peace and kindness emanated from her, which I also felt when visiting the Tom Bihn factory.
    Darcy, Tlacltme and nsh like this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Two quotes, on this wonderful article, resonated very much with me:
    So thoughtful (as always) backpack. You inspired me to post the Ebert quote on Facebook -- thanks.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thank you, backpack. A lovely review. Beautiful quotes.

I forgot to say that the Aeronaute and Tristar had to be below 23 kg if checked but below 12 kg and able to fit in the luggage sizing cage if carried on.

The Synapse was the laptop bag and on the return trip the Small Cafe Bag the lady's handbag.

I managed to keep each bag under 10 kg even after the addition of a heavy knit sweater and a light weight hoody in the Tristar and the addition of a lighweight cardigan and found only in France linen items which filled one side pocket of the Aeronaute.

I highly recommend a lightweight "analogue fishing scale with tape measure", please use the words between commas if you want to see a picture on the web or use the url (which linked itself) for a picture for a very similar product. My Weigh MHS 75 Hanging Scale | Save On Scales

They have a wide enough and easy to grab handle and wide hook made of stainless steel and easy to read dial in both kg and pounds, in addition there is a tape measure handy if someone measure bags before allowing them in the cabin, you can prove your adherence to both the weight and size requirements.

I would like to thank Autolycus for the fishing scale suggestion, it alleviated much anxiety!
    s_clarsach and Nli like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0