Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Co-Pilot as Every-day Carry

Co-Pilot as Every-day Carry

I use the Co-pilot as my Every-day bag. I carry my wonderful Macbook Air 11" in a hardshell, 8.5x11 folder for papers, mini toiletry pouch (small eagle creek zipper bag), another E.C. packing tube (packed with my Anesthesia emergency gear). All of that is in the back, main zipper section

In the front I keep pens and keys wallet on one side, Snacks in the middle "water bottle" section, and a portable speaker for the O.R. as well as a small electronics pouch and wallcharger for the MBA in the other front section.

I'm very happy with the construction, fit and finish.

The fit is a bit tight for the MBA. If the bag were just 1/2" wider the laptop and folder would be easier to get in and out.
    I wonder if a judicious amount of wall padding would add a bit of structure and protection to the back section without adding too much bulk.

I'm 6'4" and don't feel like this is a purse at all. It carries like a small briefcase.
    I will also use it as a day bag while traveling.
    A serious onebagger might make this work for a short trip.

Overall the bag is highly recommended.
    I am considering a small-size Cadet as an alternative... but I hear whispers of a slightly larger Co-pilot which would be preferable. The Zephyr might make things "easier" temporarily, but the extra space would get filled, then I'd be lugging around more than I needed.
    Last edited by dasher; 01-03-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Welcome to the TB fora, Dasher!

I love the Co-Pilot as a Murse. I, too, am a big guy at 6'2". It's just the right size for my tech and a lot more. When I had a hospital stay for a week in the spring (to discover why I was losing vision in one eye), the Co-Pilot would travel with me on the gurney when I'd be rolled around like a sack of potatoes to all the various tests.

It's a good companion. I have a second one in Iberian Dyneema just filled with gadgets, cables and adapters for my Apple consulting practice. God, I love Iberian Dyneema!!

My finger is firmly poised over the BUY button for when the larger model comes out. (Rumored to be called the Pilot)

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Quote Originally Posted by cucciasv View Post
    Welcome to the TB fora, Dasher!

I love the Co-Pilot as a Murse. I, too, am a big guy at 6'2". It's just the right size for my tech and a lot more. When I had a hospital stay for a week in the spring (to discover why I was losing vision in one eye), the Co-Pilot would travel with me on the gurney when I'd be rolled around like a sack of potatoes to all the various tests.

It's a good companion. I have a second one in Iberian Dyneema just filled with gadgets, cables and adapters for my Apple consulting practice. God, I love Iberian Dyneema!!

My finger is firmly poised over the BUY button for when the larger model comes out. (Rumored to be called the Pilot)

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Thats funny - I was thinking how perfect a dyneema one would be for just that purpose! So light is could be packable itself full of gear inside a larger bag for travel, then used as a day bag on arrival.

I have a black/UV Co-Pilot which I love and use as my EDC, but have had to sideline it this week as I have needed just a bit more space. I am going to be all over the Pilot!
    Happy owner of: Black & UltraViolet Co-Pilot, Kiwi Swift, Azelea Little Swift, Azelea 3D Clear organizer Cube, Turquoise Little Swift, Turquoise Medium Cafe Bag, Plum Field Journal, Plum Large Cafe Bag, Plum Small Cafe Bag, Black Large Cafe Bag, Wasabi CQPC plus lots of travel stuff sacks, Yarn stuff sacks, organiser pouches, travel trays etc

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    Thats funny - I was thinking how perfect a dyneema one would be for just that purpose! So light is could be packable itself full of gear inside a larger bag for travel, then used as a day bag on arrival.
    I just received my new Co-Pilot ... in Nordic Dyneema! My 1st pref was Black / Wasabi, but I didn't want to wait ... and was very intrigued by the idea of a lighter Dyneema bag.

I like the color - it's definitely quickly grown on me, and makes a nice change from my all-black tendencies.

More so, I love the lighter weight (6 oz savings over the traditional Co-Pilot).

Having used the bag for the last day and a half (I'm currently in SF, and need to commute back still), I totally get this bag for EDC. Totally. It's entirely unencumbering, and I love the pocket arrangement, and aquaproof zippers (and no messenger flap).

None of which means I don't want a second in Black / Wasabi, mind you.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359572791.916061.jpg
Views: 3999
Size:  212.8 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359572811.549685.jpg
Views: 4021
Size:  312.1 KB

I am absolutely loving my Co-Pilot. The Nordic Dyneema looks really sharp with the black piping and zipper pulls and such. Been using it for EDC since arrival; my Smart Alec is jealous, but understands.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359825014.492730.jpg
Views: 4441
Size:  181.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359825024.384159.jpg
Views: 4143
Size:  158.2 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359825034.785399.jpg
Views: 4372
Size:  184.2 KB
    Having spent a few days loading it up, I'm impressed with how small and tight the bag is while packing it all in. The ability to carry letter sized paperwork easily, and magazines, is great. I have the interior pockets fitted with TB pouches; the front right pocket has a Maxpedition organizer (Fatty) for the time being (owing to its internal organization).

I also see being able to easily move between the Co-Pilot at SA efficiently; mainly reslotting my wallet, phone, pens, and a few pouches.

Hi there: i have had little success in fitting in letter sized paperwork unless i am putting it in directly. I can't fit a letter sized folder in there--especially the plastic ones. I have not tried paper ones. any info on how you do that would be great..or a close up picture. I used plastic folders in which you can put a bunch of papers....I have ones from levenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Hi there: i have had little success in fitting in letter sized paperwork unless i am putting it in directly. I can't fit a letter sized folder in there--especially the plastic ones. I have not tried paper ones. any info on how you do that would be great..or a close up picture. I used plastic folders in which you can put a bunch of papers....I have ones from levenger.
    I've been using just magazines and papers directly, but added a couple folders just now - one plain manilla, one plastic (Davidco). A tight fit, but they seem to fit ok nonetheless.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359851550.747060.jpg
Views: 3714
Size:  205.9 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359851561.541907.jpg
Views: 3701
Size:  244.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359851575.727618.jpg
Views: 3676
Size:  178.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359851585.248665.jpg
Views: 3702
Size:  352.4 KB

thank you. I wonder if the new Dyneema gives a bit and so makes this possible. Mine is a really really tight fit in the old ballistic..and I have to push and pull to zip it shut....

@Shiva, I do think the fabric may make a difference in how much give—and thus space—the Co-Pilot has. I have an older Indigo Co-Pilot, and I can fit my 11-inch Macbook Air inside it, inside a flapped wool felt case that I sewed for it, and with a layer of padding on the bottom of the bag. Yes, it's a close fit, but still I have no trouble getting the Air in and out of the Co-Pilot. I briefly had an Aubergine CP: and to my surprise, I couldn't fit my MBA-11 inside it; I couldn't get the zipper of the main compartment closed, and the bag felt smaller overall in terms of what I could squeeze in it. Both the Indigo and the Aubergine CP are made of Ballistic fabric, but I think there may be a difference in the give of the different dyes. So I can definitely see that there would be a difference between Ballistic and Dyneema. Anyway, although I love Aubergine and have a few other bags in it, I sadly had to return this CP.

thank you. I wonder if the new Dyneema gives a bit and so makes this possible. Mine is a really really tight fit in the old ballistic..and I have to push and pull to zip it shut....
    Yea, I'm willing to bet it's a result of the Dyneema. It seems to be a little more forgiving that way.

interesting. I suppose the dyes do make a difference....although I am a bit taken aback that it could make such a difference (between fitting and not fitting a MacBook Air). My Macbook air does fit in a tight sleeve--and it is fine. I have a Steel co-pilot. I still have a hard time with the letter size paper without squishing it. Darcy: any thoughts on this? I don't know if this is cos the Co_pilot is so strict in its dimensions? I don't notice this much difference in Cafe Bags, for instance...

So, funny thing happened on the way to the forum ... or on the way to SF via BART. I had my Dyneema Co-Pilot with me, and reasonably loaded - both back pouches full, my iPad, two magazines (HBR & MIT Tech Review), that plastic file folder, and in the front pockets, a clear org in the right, and stuff in both pocket slots, my wallet clipped in, iPhone.

I have TB Absolute strap, and so the bag was pretty darned comfortable.

There was enough stuffed in it that the bag conforms / flexes as it hangs - the Dyneema has less structure to it. Not a problem. I did note when it does it, I can't really get a magazine or papers in that very back pocket. Seems a trade off against the ballistic (which I bet does not conform).

I reached down to feel the side / bottom of the bag, though, and noticed something sharp. I'll make a long story short - the plastic file folder had shifted just so, and the bottom corner was poking "through" the Dyneema. That's in quotes because the material didn't rip or hole or anything - just pulled taut in a spot over that corner.

Some fiddling had it adjust and not poke - I think it depends on where it rests (on seam, etc.). When I got to the office, though,I pulled the folder and asked my admin to send it back with the next internal mail delivery - not risking my bag.

Also, this is in no way a complaint - just an FYI / update.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianI View Post
    When I got to the office, though,I pulled the folder and asked my admin to send it back with the next internal mail delivery - not risking my bag.
    Good call! i like how you roll
    Happy owner of: Black & UltraViolet Co-Pilot, Kiwi Swift, Azelea Little Swift, Azelea 3D Clear organizer Cube, Turquoise Little Swift, Turquoise Medium Cafe Bag, Plum Field Journal, Plum Large Cafe Bag, Plum Small Cafe Bag, Black Large Cafe Bag, Wasabi CQPC plus lots of travel stuff sacks, Yarn stuff sacks, organiser pouches, travel trays etc

The standard load-out for my Co-Pilot:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360337178.687836.jpg
Views: 3795
Size:  230.1 KB
    Someone had commented elsewhere "Can you really fit all that in?" ... to which I say, yes. And a few more things if I needed to. But, it is near max load I think.

Love the bag.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast