Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Co-Pilot as Every-day Carry

I always found the Co-Pilot somewhat appealing, but never seriously considered it for myself -- until now.

I'm making some relatively big changes to the things I pack when I travel (I travel frequently for work, flying out for a week at a time), which is a perfect time to re-evaluate my bags to make sure they best suit my needs. And I'm suddenly taking a close look at bags like the Co-Pilot and the Synapse that I had never even slightly considered before.

When I'm not on the road, I work from home, so an Everyday Carry bag is only an occasional thing for me, but the Co-Pilot is definitely in the running for that spot. (I love that it stores a water bottle in the center rather than off to the side.)

I'm trying to justify the need for a Copilot. Currently I vacillate between my Imago and Synapse for EDC, and don't, strictly speaking need one, but I love the styling of the bag (especially the water bottle pocket). As I am a knitter, I would want the bag to hold a regular yarn stuff sack, my Kindle Keyboard, a side effect, and small pouches to carry knitting tools and electronics tools. Occasionally, I would want to take my iPad out in it as well. Oh, and of course my iPhone and my water bottle. My Imago is near perfect except it doesn't have a dedicated water bottle area. Maybe I should hold our for a larger version?

My EDC has been a very nice Piquadro (I consider them the Italian TB) Pearson leather small computer crossover. It's quite dressy and is fine for business or a day in town but I want something more roomy and rugged for weekend outings. Eagerly awaiting my new black Co-Pilot.

My EDC has been the Synapse but I am strongly considering the Co-Pilot as an EDC. Also, when I occasionally travel on business, the Synapse does not look at business like as I believe the Co-Pilot would look, IMHO. I am also working toward paperless and the Co-Pilot would fit that goal well, as I carry as much on my iPad as possible. Nice thread.

I've had my CP for a couple weeks now and have relegated the Piquadro to the wardrobe. The CP is ideal for the paperless tablet/ultrabook crowd. It's exactly what I hoped it would be!
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ mini-'Absolute', Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag, packing cube shoulder bag & various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Two weeks on a bus in Israel with the Co-Pilot

I purchased my Steel Gray ballistic Co-Pilot primarily for a just completed two week trip to Israel. Inside the country we traveled about by bus. We walked an average of 5 miles a day, including a lot of stairs and rough ground. Many places were very crowded. Space inside the bus was also very tight. One day while in Jordan I probably walked 8 miles at Petra. The Co-Pilot as expected proved to be the absolutely optimal choice for this sort of trip.

The ability to fit the bag over the handles of my role on carrying case was very useful. During transit I carried my iPad and various chargers, but generally left these at my hotel when possible. For this bag and this type of traveling I think the iPad Mini would be better. I typically carried my passport, a larger point-and-shoot camera, water bottle, pens and I care of small flashlights, pair of 10x28 binoculars, birding guide folder, my iPhone 4S, Sunglasses, Kangol cap, Kestrel wind meter, Arcteryx windbreaker, and the small radio set our guide utilized.

For security I always try to make sure that all of the zippers were closed, protection from dust and drizzle another reason for such. I used to the standard strap never really felt that I needed the Absolute strap. I expect to continue using the bag for all future travel and additionally, for much every day carry.

Stp
    For those of you using the Co-Pilot for EDC, how do you find the "waterproofness" of it. I'd be curious to hear about both the ballistic and dyneema versions.

I'm headed to the UK for two weeks this summer and am considering using the Co-Pilot as my day bag to hold my camera, guide book, rain jacket, etc. While I love the idea of a Dyneema Co-Pilot (which I could more easily stow in my main bag while traveling in country) I worry about how it would protect my gear from the wet British weather.

I haven't had my Dyneema CP in the rain so far but with the aquaguard zippers I think it would fare pretty well. Zippers are usually the spot where water could most easily enter. If there's anything you really don't want to get wet you can use a sturdy ziplock or Aloksak as secondary protection.

Quote Originally Posted by jujigatame View Post
    I haven't had my Dyneema CP in the rain so far but with the aquaguard zippers I think it would fare pretty well. Zippers are usually the spot where water could most easily enter. If there's anything you really don't want to get wet you can use a sturdy ziplock or Aloksak as secondary protection.
    I'll second this. You should be perfectly fine with either version. I do recommend carrying a 1 or 2 gallon ziplock freezer bag to quickly stuff any critical items like camera, lenses, etc. into in the event of being caught in a downpour for a while (to run to a 50-ft to a car would still be fine). Regular misty British rain won't be a problem at all for any length of time with just the co-pilot as protection. But if you're going to be in a monsoon for an extended period of time . . .

As an experiment I took my new dyneema Co-Pilot, placed a paper in each section, closed the zippers carefully, and held it under the shower for a minute. I dried the exterior before opening the zippers and checking. Admittedly this may not be a completely fair test, but all the papers but one got wet. I think water infiltrated through the dyneema (which was damp on the inside). If I travel with it, I will take ziploc bags for electronics and my passport. I always carry a few spare ziploc bags when I travel anyway.

I have a dyneema synapse 19 and have walked with it in the rain, without anything on the interior getting wet. I'm not sure if this is due to a difference in design or if the shower stream was stronger than rain would be. I believe the Synapse has two layers whereas the Co-Pilot has one.

(I looked up Aloksaks. May be a nice alternative to Ziploc, particularly if they come in custom sizes.)

Quote Originally Posted by jujigatame View Post

UPDATE - 1050 ballistic is a wonder! I have been using the Co-pilot as an everyday carry bag for over 6 months now, and there is not a single sign of wear. The metal zipper pulls were switched out for Cord zipper pulls, which quiets the bag signifcantly.

Man!!! The Nordic Dyneema is absolutely stunning!!!!!! Is the Nordic more of a dark blue in person?

It is darker than the photos, it seems to me. The white lines make it appear lighter when viewed from a distance.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I love the functionality of the Co-Pilot so much that I now own a second one. My first is the Cardinal (Ballistic) Co-Pilot which I have used for travel once and now use as a work bag that I alternate with my Steel (Ballistic) Ristretto for MBA11 depending on what I need to bring with me to work on the day. If I needed a water bottle with me without having to carry it separately, then it's the Co-Pilot. Otherwise, I prefer the Ristretto to safely carry my Air notebook.

This week, I received my Steel/steel Dyneema-only Co-Pilot and I am equally impressed with the quality of it. I intend to use this as my EDC bag to replace my medium Cafe Bag (Steel) to carry my personal items (wallets, iPhone 5, keys, pens, notebook, toiletry/medicine kit) as well as spare diapers, toddler water bottle, snacks for me and two kids. The compartments/organization of the Co-Pilot makes it such a practical day bag. I really love it for its versatility.
    liz_h likes this.

It's amazing how EDC/daily briefcases have gotten lighter and more compact over the years.

I began many years ago with a Schlesinger natural belting expanding leather briefcase which I still love and have. Truly exceptional workmanship and quality.

Then I transitioned to a Tumi expanding ballistic nylon briefcase which I still have and use quite often. Great design.

Since the Co-Pilot was introduced, I carry this lightweight and fantastic design most of the time.

Just like in climbing and backpacking, light and well designed rule.

Same for EDC in a high quality business and personal bag.

Co-Pilot rocks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast