Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By sarahlin
  • 3 Post By sarahlin
  • 3 Post By notmensa
  • 1 Post By drbobguy

Thread: Synapse Arrived!

Synapse Arrived!

My Synapse arrived today and I love it BUT I think I am going to hold out for the larger one that I saw is coming next year. I am trying to find a way to justify keeping this one too.

I am kinda bummed and do not want to wait for the larger one, especially since I have a trip coming up and I don't expect the Synapse to be out before I leave.

Hopefully time passes quickly!

Quick update, I decided to keep it and will check out the larger version when it comes out. One can never have to many bags ;-)

You won't regret it, it is the best Every Day Carry Backpack I ever owned.

I was about to say bag but I heard a riot brewing from my Cafe Bags which are the best shoulder bags I ever owned.

Let us know how you use it, Tom Bihn bags fans and owners are the most interesting people!

I am starting to debate a Cafe Bag. It is far from my normal purse style but I keep going back to it. I also want another Shop Bag, I am seriously addicted to them.

My first Small Shop Bag arrived at the weekend - I can see an addiction happening with it! They were only available in Steel when I ordered, and I can already see the justification for one in Ultraviolet (love!!) and maybe Nordic. Oh Tom Bihn, why do you have to make so many wonderful, wonderful products??!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlin View Post
    My Synapse arrived today and I love it BUT I think I am going to hold out for the larger one that I saw is coming next year.
    Was a larger one announced? Can someone link me to that announcement? Thanks!
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Was a larger one announced? Can someone link me to that announcement? Thanks!
    No I don't think there has been any announcement or even a hint, but several people have suggested it on the forum, so who knows? I think many people feel it's a pretty ideal EDC design, just a bit small for them (myself included).

I will say the Smart Alec is basically the ideal design for work use, the top-loading design is perfect for rectilinear items that stack horizontally and slide against one another, like textbooks, notebooks, computers, magazines. And then you have the awesome water bottle pocket and side pocket for pens/phone/wallet, etc. This is perfect for commuters who can get away with a backpack (I would if I could). The design is less ideal for EDC types who are packing all kinds of loose items in there.

But as with everything, design is all about tradeoffs and no design is perfect for every use case. Where Tom Bihn excels is to find a design that is both broad in the variety of use cases it's designed for, while also thinking hard about what exactly those use cases are. Lots of other companies have features on their products that look cool in a photo or in a spec list, but they are actually poorly designed for real-world usage.
    Last edited by drbobguy; 12-19-2012 at 06:23 PM.

One can never have to many bags ;-)
    AMEN!

You are going to LOVE that new Synapse!

Quote Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
    No I don't think there has been any announcement or even a hint
    Hopes deflated...
    --------------------------------

I saw something on twitter about a larger Synapse as early as March 2013. Maybe Darcy can confirm or deny?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I saw something on twitter about a larger Synapse as early as March 2013. Maybe Darcy can confirm or deny?
    I may have seen a prototype or two... it's looking great. No release date yet.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Darcy, will the current Synapse size disappear when the newer Synapse arrives?

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Darcy, how will the larger Synapse (prototypr) compare in size/volume to the SA?
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Please keep original synapse

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Darcy, will the current Synapse size disappear when the newer Synapse arrives?
    Excellent question! I am not a backpack person but I love my Synapse and am considering another in steel dyneema.
    I hope that even if a larger synapse appears in the Tom Bihn family it will not displace it's older, smaller sibling.

Congrats on your new Synapse. What color did you choose? I got one for Christmas this year (navy/UV) that I am really beginning to love. I was a little concerned about the space limitations, but so far all has been going very smoothly. I find I really like how snugly the bag fits against my shoulders and back. My horrible struggle now is to determine which makes a better EDC bag? I also have and love the Imago (navy/cork) and have carried it faithfully every day for almost a year. I love them both! Right now I just switched back to my Imago, and I plan to use the Synapse for days when I just need to carry a bit more.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0