Tri-Star first impressions

Ok, I've had the bag a couple of months. As this was my first TB bag I was of course impressed with the quality of the bag. I have since gotten more bags and OP's as this is the habit around here.

I travel 2-4 days a week. The Tri-Star is the perfect bag for that duration. I also have the packing cubes and packing backpack. I use a brain bag which I just got and a snake charmer to organize my power cords.

Now for the minutiae. Having traveled with the packing cubes I find I keep most of my pants and shirts in the back pack. I have not used the backpack as a backpack, but maybe on vacation. The one thing I think would make the backpack great would be an interior panel of Dyneema to separate it into two parts. This way I could put dirty clothes on one side as I take clean ones from the other.

I just recently received the snake charmer in Steel. I love the construction, however I think I ordered the wrong color. It is hard to see a black cord in the steel interior. I would like to have another color, but how about going forward make the separator in the snake charmer out of a complimentary color, this is another thing I love about my wasabi interior of the Tristar.

Thanks for the great products, and my mother-in-law loves the swift I got her.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cramry View Post
    Ok, I've had the bag a couple of months. As this was my first TB bag I was of course impressed with the quality of the bag. I have since gotten more bags and OP's as this is the habit around here.

I travel 2-4 days a week. The Tri-Star is the perfect bag for that duration. I also have the packing cubes and packing backpack. I use a brain bag which I just got and a snake charmer to organize my power cords.

I just recently received the snake charmer in Steel. I love the construction, however I think I ordered the wrong color. It is hard to see a black cord in the steel interior. I would like to have another color, but how about going forward make the separator in the snake charmer out of a complimentary color, this is another thing I love about my wasabi interior of the Tristar.
    I've got another suggestion for you: why not try out the new mesh ballistic organizer pouches for your cables? You could get the medium size pouch for the larger cables such as power cords, and the small pouch for smaller cables and charging attachments.

This would give you the same see-through mesh as the Snake Charmer, but with the contrasting color background of the ballistic nylon color used for the pouch. Or, if you want more carrying volume and a clearer view of the contents, try the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, which uses Dyneema as the divider material between the two sides. You get the contrast both against the color of the Dyneema and the grid pattern, and the same divided compartments. The clear urethane also makes this good bag for carrying items that could spill, since the sides are separately zipped and sealed. It's very multi-purpose for traveling, and you can hang it up by the loop if you're using it to store toiletries. The two sides mean that you can use it for mixed purposes. If you're carrying electronics, it's a very convenient size to hold additional hard drives. Here's a picture to show that even the steel CQPC shows up contents well due to the grid pattern of the Dyneema:

I think that the Snake Charmer works better in bags like the Brain Bag and Smart Alec, and I use other pouches in my other bags. For example, in my Synapse I use the Kit (in Kiwi) to hold sprawly cables. The shape fits in well, the broader flat base accommodates both larger and smaller items, and keeps the bag flat on the table when I open it, and the tapered top makes it easy to grip. If there are fewer items, and I want to see the contents, I'll use the 3D Clear Organizer Cube instead, which also works as a 3-1-1 bag for liquids in air travel. The 3D Clear Organizer Cube is also a good fit to the pockets in other bags such as the Imago and the Cadet.

Finally, if you like the snake charmer's size/design for cables, you could always get it in a brighter color like wasabi or cayenne, although I think that even the blues provide good enough color contrast.

By the way, what color is your Tri-Star?

HTH. moriond

Tristar is black/wasabi.

JLE
    I find the Snake Charmer is too large for my cable/electronics storage needs on the road, but it is ideal for storing all my spare TB shoulder straps, waist straps, cord pulls, clips and smaller OPs when they are not in use!

I use the 3D clear organiser pouch for cables and chargers on the road - very easy to see at a glance what's inside - and I think I am going to pick up some of the mesh OPs for hard drives, large cords and power adaptors etc. I use Dyneema pouches for these at the moment but I would prefer something I can see into easily.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0