Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: one bagging it with synapse

one bagging it with synapse

As an experiment/challenge, I am on a 4 day wintery work trip with only my synapse. In the bag are two sweaters, one sweater vest, two dress shirts, one night shirt, one t-shirt, three pairs of socks and two undies. Also packed toiletries, two notebooks, snacks, glass bowl, utensils, phone charger and wallet. the amazing thing about the synapse is how it can be stuffed to the gills without squashing anything. The pocket placement is so perfectly engineered to maintain a cute shape and balanced weight distribution. I haven't lacked anything. Next experiment: 18 days abroad.
    nsh and Toblerhaus like this.

WOW!! That's impressive.
    Are your 18 days abroad also to a cold destination?? Can't wait to hear how the challenge goes!

Conversa -- that's quite a load you've managed to fit into your Synapse, but I am very curious so I feel compelled to ask: re you taking any extra pairs of pants? You've taking a ton of tops but no bottom!! Did you just decide to go with the one pair of jeans you're wearing?
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

It's always interesting to see how minimal people can get, something I aspire to as well. I think though that the Synapse is definitely too small even for most minimalists. I was debating doing a 10-day trip to Russia this winter using just the Smart Alec, but I've decided against it (mainly because I ended up also ordering a Tristar!). I do think 26 liters is doable for trips of unlimited duration, but it requires extreme discipline as well as nightly bathroom sink washing.

When traveling I much prefer to do actual laundry in a laundromat once a week, so I try to get at least 6 days of clothes out of my bag. This is relatively easy if you re-wear button down shirts (with an ultralight undershirt underneath) as well as wearing pants for 4-7 days at a time. I typically travel with two pairs of jeans (once which I wear), 3-4 lightweight synthetic button down shirts, and then 6-7 undershirts, 6-7 pairs of underwear, and 6-7 pairs of socks. I know jeans and multiple items are for some reason taboo in the travel crowd. But in much of the world jeans fit in better than the alternatives, and thin jeans don't have to be super thick. Also I love putting on clean socks and underwear that smell nice after being machine washed, and considering they take up very little space, I have no issue bringing many pairs.

Here's the gear list of a guy who is taking a year-long round-the-world trip with only a Smart Alec:

Gear List - 12 Month Round the World Trip
    Darcy and backpack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Conversa -- that's quite a load you've managed to fit into your Synapse, but I am very curious so I feel compelled to ask: re you taking any extra pairs of pants? You've taking a ton of tops but no bottom!! Did you just decide to go with the one pair of jeans you're wearing?
    Lani you are right, I forgot to mention an extra pair of gray wool slacks also went in the Synapse. Since I am here for work, there was no point in wearing jeans so I wore black wool slacks on the plane. I should also mention I am a petite size 4 which might explain how I could make it all fit. I used one small travelon folder, a set of Eagle Creek specter cubes and toiletry kit, and two yarn stuff sacks. It's been a great experience!

Quote Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
    It's always interesting to see how minimal people can get, something I aspire to as well. I think though that the Synapse is definitely too small even for most minimalists. I was debating doing a 10-day trip to Russia this winter using just the Smart Alec, but I've decided against it (mainly because I ended up also ordering a Tristar!). I do think 26 liters is doable for trips of unlimited duration, but it requires extreme discipline as well as nightly bathroom sink washing.

When traveling I much prefer to do actual laundry in a laundromat once a week, so I try to get at least 6 days of clothes out of my bag. This is relatively easy if you re-wear button down shirts (with an ultralight undershirt underneath) as well as wearing pants for 4-7 days at a time. I typically travel with two pairs of jeans (once which I wear), 3-4 lightweight synthetic button down shirts, and then 6-7 undershirts, 6-7 pairs of underwear, and 6-7 pairs of socks. I know jeans and multiple items are for some reason taboo in the travel crowd. But in much of the world jeans fit in better than the alternatives, and thin jeans don't have to be super thick. Also I love putting on clean socks and underwear that smell nice after being machine washed, and considering they take up very little space, I have no issue bringing many pairs.

Here's the gear list of a guy who is taking a year-long round-the-world trip with only a Smart Alec:

Gear List - 12 Month Round the World Trip
    drbobguy, I did wear a silk undershirt for layering and to help keep my shirts fresh. for the 18 day trip I might get a pair of quick dry under shirts and wash them nightly with my undies. I might do the same with liner socks. This has been fun and I can't imagine doing it with any other carry system but Tom Bihn.

Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen it before. My inspiration for giving ultra light a shot with the Synapse was Lani and her Specter cubes. I'll try to post a photo similar to her Japan trip packing photo.
    Last edited by conversa; 11-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by conversa View Post
    My inspiration for giving ultra light a shot with the Synapse was Lani and her Specter cubes. I'll try to post a photo similar to her Japan trip packing photo.
    Care to give us a teaser of where you're going so we can live vicariously through you?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Care to give us a teaser of where you're going so we can live vicariously through you?
    For now, the plan is London, Paris and several regions of Spain. I owe it to you since I have lived plenty vicariously through you all.

Quote Originally Posted by notmensa View Post
    WOW!! That's impressive.
    Are your 18 days abroad also to a cold destination?? Can't wait to hear how the challenge goes!
    I hope late spring is not cold in western Europe!

My inspiration for giving ultra light a shot with the Synapse was Lani and her Specter cubes. I'll try to post a photo similar to her Japan trip packing photo.
    Here is what the unpacking looked like. I also forgot to mention my external battery charger which I use for my phone, two scarf tubes (wool and regular), silk leggings, an RS laundry line, a nalgene travel bottle for my Dr. Bronner's and a gotoob for my toothpaste.

It will be trickier if I need to bring extra footwear, sunglasses, or additional electronics.

The bag was super packed but I was constantly opening pockets and pulling stuff out with no trouble. I would even say I enjoyed retrieving things out of my Synapse. This proves it; the Synapse is magic. Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1511
Size:  214.9 KB

nsh
    Thank you for sharing! These photos are great inspiration for me because I hope to use my Synapse for long term travels too! Are you carrying a purse or satchel in addition to the synapse?

For now, the plan is London, Paris and several regions of Spain. I owe it to you since I have lived plenty vicariously through you all.
    Ooh. Jealous. Late spring shouldn't be too cold, but it could be quite wet. A good rain shell and Gore-tex walking shoes (if that's the sort of traveling you're doing) will help, and since you can wear those onto the plane, it's not like they'll take up room in your bag. For the Europe trip, would you be bringing the bowl and utensils?

Oh my gosh! To think, I considered myself very smugly satisfied to have used the Synapse for an overnight last weekend. Well, it was a step in the right direction for me to be sure, but I cannot hold a candle to your feat. Well done.
    wiwhite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nsh View Post
    Thank you for sharing! These photos are great inspiration for me because I hope to use my Synapse for long term travels too! Are you carrying a purse or satchel in addition to the synapse?
    No additional baggage. I kept my TB wallet o-ringed in the side pocket and did the ol' swing around to get at it. At the hotel, I dumped my stuff and used the Synapse as my EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Ooh. Jealous. Late spring shouldn't be too cold, but it could be quite wet. A good rain shell and Gore-tex walking shoes (if that's the sort of traveling you're doing) will help, and since you can wear those onto the plane, it's not like they'll take up room in your bag. For the Europe trip, would you be bringing the bowl and utensils?
    I brought the bowl to put leftovers in a backpackable format but I didn't use it or the utensils once on this trip. I don't think they will make the cut.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast