Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: one bagging it with synapse

Volunteer Moderator

Arrow

Really like the photos! I see you have the tangerine Eagle Creek Specter II cube. They now offer their 15" folder as a Specter II product, along with a few more options (like the "Quick Trip", which might make a reasonable option for diaper holders) and colors (red edging). But it's true that at the time of Lani's post the only 15" folder was the regular one you show in your picture.

I've wondered about using the Tri-Star medium packing cube instead (12.8" / 325mm x 11.3" / 288mm x 2.4" / 60mm; 3.2 oz / 90gr; 5.6 liter capacity) as the main cube inside the Synapse, since it's a little better matched to the maximum inner space of the main compartment and provides a little more structure when you pull it out. Any thoughts on that? Did you also consider that option?

moriond

Addendum: I thought I included a link to the current Eagle Creek Specter II products in my original post, but I see this didn't show up, so I've added it in this addendum. You can see the "Quick Trip" that conversa mentions below, and the red color options.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-30-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Addendum with link to Eagle Creek Specter II URL

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Really like the photos! I see you have the tangerine Eagle Creek Specter II cube. They now offer their 15" folder as a Specter II product, along with a few more options (like the "Quick Trip", which might make a reasonable option for diaper holders) and colors (red edging). But it's true that at the time of Lani's post the only 15" folder was the regular one you show in your picture.

I've wondered about using the Tri-Star medium packing cube instead (12.8" / 325mm x 11.3" / 288mm x 2.4" / 60mm; 3.2 oz / 90gr; 5.6 liter capacity) as the main cube inside the Synapse, since it's a little better matched to the maximum inner space of the main compartment and provides a little more structure when you pull it out. Any thoughts on that? Did you also consider that option?

moriond
    I have the EC Quick Trip (it is under my toiletries in the photo). I love it as a toiletry kit because of the way it opens wide, has outer pockets and fits my toothbrush. Also, I am obsessed with the silnylon material. I like its brightness, transparency and almost invisibility in terms of weight and structure. I had considered the small WF cube but it is 3x as heavy and the handle isn't as convenient as the Specter cube for my use case. I also decided against maximizing the Synapse dimensions since I like having free space at the top of my bag for easy to reach snacks. The folder in the photo is a Travelon. I had a regular EC folder which I gave away. I hated how rough the material was; it wouldn't slip easily out of my bags. The Travelon is more slippery and I like how you can cover up the Velcro so it doesn't destroy your clothing while packing and unpacking. I was tempted by the new 15 in Specter folder but the lack of Velcro covers was more determinative than my silnylon obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by conversa View Post
    I brought the bowl to put leftovers in a backpackable format but I didn't use it or the utensils once on this trip. I don't think they will make the cut.
    If you have a travel spork or some such thing, that could be a useful addition to your travel kit. Having something like that makes it easy to buy a yogurt or something from the grocery store and eat it without worrying about where you'll get a utensil. Or, you could do what I do, which is be a cheap bastard and just grab an extra plastic spoon from the airport Starbucks.
    Lani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    If you have a travel spork or some such thing, that could be a useful addition to your travel kit. Having something like that makes it easy to buy a yogurt or something from the grocery store and eat it without worrying about where you'll get a utensil. Or, you could do what I do, which is be a cheap bastard and just grab an extra plastic spoon from the airport Starbucks.
    Normally I alternate between cheap bastard and member of the plastic resistance front. Though I am pretty excited about my bamboo utensils so I might bring them along. The idea of spreading Camembert on fresh bread by the Seine using my bamboo knife is swoon-worthy.
    Lani and Manny like this.

I am AMAZED all that fit in the Synapse. Must look into these packing cubes and folders!

Brought on by the recent chonie colloquy betwee badger and Janine, I feel compelled to qualify that my two undies were the wash-at-night-dry-by-morning kind. and to cause you more discomfort, the 18 day trip will be accompanied by 3 of said undies :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2