Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: traveling with me new tom bihn nordic/steel western flyer

Lotuseater how is your WF faring these days? Can it still handle a variety of situations?

I typically carry
    4 business shirts
    2 undershirts
    1 trousers
    4 socks n underwear
    1 New Balance minimus shoes
    1 workout shorts

From what I've read on these forums I should fit all that in no problem. However the catch comes when I want to add a 11" Macbook Air, and in winter a possum fur (soft but bulky) sweater plus warm thermals.

At a stretch would all that fit?? I have visions of forking out the hard earned for the Tri-Star only to find I dont need the extra space.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I typically carry
    4 business shirts
    2 undershirts
    1 trousers
    4 socks n underwear
    1 New Balance minimus shoes
    1 workout shorts

From what I've read on these forums I should fit all that in no problem. However the catch comes when I want to add a 11" Macbook Air, and in winter a possum fur (soft but bulky) sweater plus warm thermals.
    Thanks.
    That load should be fine in the WF. I would suggest a large Packing Cube to compress (and keep orderly) the clothing in the back section. The 11" MBA should fit in a cache and easily sit (portrait orientation) in the front. You may even have enough room in the back to slip the MBA into the back-straps' pocket.

Enjoy!

Thanks Le_Pied

I've found the foundation of travelling light is packing light. There's no way around just having less and lighter stuff. The WF should fit most of what I currently lug around in a 30L duffle. I think if I got the Tri-Star I would end up over packing it just because I could fit more stuff and defeat the point of the whole exercise.

Do you find an EC folder is better for business shirts? Do they crumple up in a packing cube with no support?

Thanks for your input

I think that with careful packing, your shirts should be okay in the cube; plus, the cube maximizes your packable space. Here's how I'd suggest doing it: in the bottom of the cube, pack your trousers. Then layer the shirts in, alternating collars L-R-L-R. Pack your T-shirts on top of that, then optional thermals, and your smalls on the top. The one thing that gives me pause is the sweater. I wonder if a cashmere or merino layer could replace the bulkier item?

It's a rule of packing, the capacity of the bag will influence how much you pack. I chose not to get the Tri-Star for that reason. I would fill up the extra space, and I just don't want to carry that much stuff. The WF keeps me efficient when going on extended trips.

As far as the shirt-shuffle goes, I think they are OK in the packing cube, and do not require the extra bulk/weight/complexity of a folder. As Badger points out, using a LPC is a much more effective use of the space. Also, Badger's packing suggestion is good (sounds like what I do), but explore packing techniques. You should have luck with the bundle, folding, rolling and stuffing (fill those shoes). Either way you go, you just zip it up tight in the LPC. Also, consider your shirts. Do they shed wrinkles easily, or do they still look like a wrinkled tissue after hanging in the closet overnight?

Other stuff---
    Perhaps go with a PC Backpack instead of the LPC. That way you have the efficient use of space for packing, and also the security of a way to carry overflow.
    I find I use the Absolute Strap and the backpack straps equally as much. If you have any concerns at all about back problems, get the model with backpack straps, and use them.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Le_Pied; 08-22-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0