Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Nli

Why I am, so very sadly, returning my new Synapse

Having read the many wonderful reviews of the Synapse backpack, I last week 2nd-day aired a Synapse to join me on a trip I am currently on. It is a WONDERFULLY constructed and designed bag, made for those of us who like subdivided bags with lots of compartments and is the best of its kind I have ever seen.... although it could be just a touch larger.

It was love at first sight..... but.......

The strap design on the bag resulted in a fit very uncomfortable on me when the bag was fully loaded causing the straps to "dig" into the front of my shoulders/top of my armpits ((even with the chest straps fully tightened)).

A couple of design suggestions to consider to improve this bag, and especially its fit, based on my beloved old pack:

- remove the small webbing "carry" strap at the top of the bag (the only "cheap" looking thing on this bag). Instead, redesign the shoulder straps with an integral thickly padded "connector" right at the top (1" from seam) that runs between the top of the two backpack straps (imagine the letter H). This enables the straps to stay in better position while also providing a comfortable way to carry the bag from the top.

- taper the backpack straps starting about halfway down to approx 1/2 their current width (the design on my current, old-but-so-very-comfortable, pack).

Nothing is perfect for everyone but I thought with the Synapse I had found a new perfect every day pack and it was absolutely perfect, except for the fit. I think the changes suggested above would improve this already great bag and maybe make it comfortable for narrow-shouldered folks like me (all of which I feel sure you will implement immediately!!).

Thanks for making great products. New customer and already hooked.

"A couple of design suggestions to consider to improve this bag, and especially its fit, based on my beloved old pack:"....

I myself am narrow shouldered and it took me a short time to get used to the webbing and the fit of the synapse after it replaced my beloved old bag, nonetheless I have found it to be better as I load more into it. Yet as you said, nothing is perfect for everyone.

You mentioned you would like something larger. My friend has the Brain Bag and swears by it. The Synapse is too small for his needs.

It took me ages and wasted money to finally find the bag to replace my trusty old pack so I can understand your plight. Hope you find what your looking for!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0