Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: One of my great regrets...

Post One of my great regrets...

I joined this forum just to vent to an audience of people I know will understand. My wife, my friends, my ever accepting and understanding dog would never get it. What I'm about to tell you hurts my heart and I consider it one of my big regrets in recent memory. I'm here for your support.

Ever in search of the perfect bag, I have scoured the internet, luggage stores, auction sites, blogs, etc. I REALLY like Redoxx products and own several, but naturally began to sway to Tom Bihn bags for their scalability and an indescribable sleekness (dare I say sexiness?) that's uncommon with nearly all other products on the market. I like RO for the more rugged applications, TB for the day to day professional stuff.

Bought myself a Zephyr in black/wasabi earlier this year and enjoyed carrying it. Then one day I couldn't fit a lunch container and a book in it, so I decided it was too small.

This is when the madness began - I SOLD it. I boxed it up and shipped it to a stranger. I clutched it tightly as the postman tore it out of my reluctant hands.

WHY???? Why had I made such an irrational decision? After months of searching I find my soul-mate in briefcase form and I sell it because I couldn't comfortably cram last night's leftover vegetarian chili in the main compartment??!?!?!?! It pains me to this day. Where is my Zephyr? Is it being loved and appreciated? Is it bragged about and given it's own special corner of the bedroom in its new owners home? Is it cold, is it being kept clean? Is it properly paired with the correct Tom Bihn accessories??? These are the questions that can keep someone up at night.

Now being away from my Zephyr for over a month, I consider it a terrible mistake to have let it go. One you have something so well designed and thought out, you can take it for granted. The greatness of the Zephyr was that it was so awesome I barely even thought about it, I just used it. I used every inch of as it was designed to be used.

Please don't judge me, I come to you dear friends for comfort and solace. Though I will never be reunited with my beloved Zephyr, I will purchase an Empire builder someday to replace it. I think that extra room will remove any excuse I had. Then I can store my machine, my books, my mediocre leftovers and my shame. Also going to try the Brainbag, but I never think I'll be able to capture the magic of my first bag, my Zephyr.

As penance and to make sure I never make this mistake again - I am currently carrying a cheap backpack that you would find at a chain sporting goods store. It's flimsy, and feels as if it will tear at the straps if I load it with anything but packing peanuts and the shattered memories of my beloved old bag. I'm in my 30's and look like a college freshman. Carrying a TB Cache and an organizational pouch gives me some comfort, but even the accessories seem to silently resent me for separating them from their black/wasabi clad friend and protector.

My wife will be receiving her new Aeronaut in Aubergine and a Ristretto, she will enjoy them, but they will always be just bags to her. I will be receiving nothing but the receipt and the credit card bill, and the reopening of the wound of selling one of the best purchases I ever made. That is until my Brianbag arrives. I half expect it to slap me in the face when I open the package and say "think long and hard about this before you decide to give me up."

I haven't joined a forum in years - much less posted to one. I just had to get this out. Perhaps my purpose this year was to serve as a warning to all who read this forum. Heed my warning. When you spend hours searching for something and fine near perfection, don't let it go for a tiny flaw that can be overlooked or overcome. Love that bag, hang on to it, take care of it. You will miss it when it's gone. I promise you.

It's a sickness, but one I think many of us share. This search for a perfect bag that will bring harmony and happiness to our busy and scattered lives - I know that here I am among friends, and hope to one day truly feel part of the Tom Bihn family again.

The ironic twist - the company I work for actually makes bags, packs and laptop bags. I won't say who, and I won't say I dislike their products, it's just that TB gear blows them out of the water 6 ways from Sunday.

Thanks for listening to my story. I will repost when I've had more time to grieve.

KEEP YOUR TB BAGS!! The Zephyr is truly a wonderful example of how awesome something people never think twice about can be.

NOTE: I realized this is probably not the correct place for this forum. Moderators, please feel free to remove and place where you see fit.
    Last edited by PanSauce; 11-09-2012 at 12:11 PM.

great read :-), tnx

PanSauce, thanks for being brave enough to share. Here's wishing you a longer time of enjoyment and use with all future TB bag purchases.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Noted: never sell my Zephyr. With apologies to Mary Oliver, perhaps this will help:

You do not have to be good.
    You do not have to walk on your knees
    for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
    You only have to let your finger click on the button,
    "Add to Basket", and then, "Checkout."

Great post!

although.... you can always get yourself another Zephyr. I'm sure your first one wouldn't mind. It may have gone to a stranger, but I'm sure that stranger is giving your old Zephyr plenty of love.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Sorry, PanSauce. We Forum Folk feel your pain.

You can get another Zephyr-- even another Black/wasabi Zephyr. I realize that it won't be THE first one, but at least it can still be in the same color combo. There are plenty of us Forum Folk who have regretted not picking up a color combo when it was available....in the meantime, rest assured that the Brain Bag and other future TB bags will also delight you. Not in exactly the same way the Zephyr did but in different, equally wonderful ways. Wishing you the best.

PanSauce

I just met you here and I don't feel like I even know you any more?

Remember everything happens for a reason or as they say "When one Bag Closes another soon Opens"!

Just work on Today,there are plenty ready to ship when you are ready to face the truth.....again.

Ed
    tCook likes this.

It's a bag....and they still make them, so it's not the end of the world. The end of the world would be if you sold a a dog, who was your companion, and it was living and breathing, and he/she greeted you with love every time you came home, and you foolishly parted with him/her, and then you'd really be in trouble. So, in this case, your only punishment is that the price of the Z has probably gone up, but not that much....so don't punish yourself, and just go order another Z.
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

While i sincerely feel and can relate to your regret, I sense a first world problem here. Look at the bright side, you sent it off to someone who could appreciate it and needed it more than you did at the time. You did get references from the buyer, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    PanSauce

I just met you here and I don't feel like I even know you any more?

Remember everything happens for a reason or as they say "When one Bag Closes another soon Opens"!

Just work on Today,there are plenty ready to ship when you are ready to face the truth.....again.

Ed

Such inspirational words. Thanks to everyone for reading and to those of you enjoyed my tongue in cheek diatribe. I knew that I would find others that understood me - although "First World Problem" is definitely right on the money, ha!

Cheers to all, and looking forward to my new Empire Builder, Zephyr or both....oh and of course I'll need the Tristar.

Madness, Madness I tell you!

Cheers!

And a bigger closet with that wish list
    Lani likes this.

... And keep the TB boxes!!!

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Good advice.

I sold my ID a while back because I wasn't using it at the time. It went to a great home, but Now I find situations where I am missing it again!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Quote Originally Posted by PanSauce View Post
    Please don't judge me, I come to you dear friends for comfort and solace. Though I will never be reunited with my beloved Zephyr, I will purchase an Empire builder someday to replace it. I think that extra room will remove any excuse I had. Then I can store my machine, my books, my mediocre leftovers and my shame. Also going to try the Brainbag, but I never think I'll be able to capture the magic of my first bag, my Zephyr.....

Well I am happy to report that I purchased a Brain Bag and an Empire Builder. The Brain Bag was impressive and would be great for traveling but it didn't work with my particular daily needs at the moment. My Empire Builder on the other hand is here to stay. It's everything I loved in the Zephyr but wider and holds more in the main compartment. Like others have noted, it doesn't look that much bigger than the Zephyr but when you load it up the difference is apparent. Fantastic!

...SPOILER ALERT....
    You know that part in Old Yeller, at the end where they have the new puppy? That's how I felt today. My new Empire Builder alongside me, my new trusted and faithful companion. I am very happy with the purchase, and do prefer the size. But like the in film...I will always fondly remember Ol' Zephyr.

Off to build my empire....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PanSauce View Post
    Well I am happy to report that I purchased a Brain Bag and an Empire Builder. The Brain Bag was impressive and would be great for traveling but it didn't work with my particular daily needs at the moment. My Empire Builder on the other hand is here to stay. It's everything I loved in the Zephyr but wider and holds more in the main compartment. Like others have noted, it doesn't look that much bigger than the Zephyr but when you load it up the difference is apparent. Fantastic!

...SPOILER ALERT....
    You know that part in Old Yeller, at the end where they have the new puppy? That's how I felt today. My new Empire Builder alongside me, my new trusted and faithful companion. I am very happy with the purchase, and do prefer the size. But like the in film...I will always fondly remember Ol' Zephyr.

Off to build my empire....
    I really enjoyed reading your post. It was very poetic. And I feel your pain. I thought I was the only crazy person who loved her bags. I bought a discontinued backpack online and it came rolled up and stuffed into a bubble envelope. Rolled up! The person didn't even bother removing old kleenex, hair ties, and pens. It's smelt like a mouldy basement. Had food stains. I looked high and low, day and night for this particular item, and when it showed up in the condition it was in, I couldn't even look at it. It's just a darn bag, and it made me so upset. I tried to clean it best I could, and I resold it. Even after I cleaned it, I couldn't use it. I was THAT disappointed. And it's just a bag. We need a support group. And maybe a reality TV show too. LOL....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0