Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tjoe13
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Zephyr - First Thoughts

Zephyr - First Thoughts

Just received a Tom Bihn Zephyr and am amazed at the capacity of such a small bag. I have been carrying a large Tumi backpack and got tired of lugging the big bulky thing around the country.

After loading the contents of my Tumi backpack into the Tom Bihn Zephyr, there is still a lot of room left for additional items. That said, the bag does not sag or slump in any way.

I originally ordered a Cadet and although I love the design of the bag, it needed at least another inch in depth in order to have the capacity I need for day to day. I was a little apprehensive in ordering the Zephyr as I was unsure as to how the design would appear in person - it looks very professional and I would not hesitate to carry it into any meeting or presentation - wherever that might be.

The quality of the bag I received (black/black/grey) is flawless. Besides wanting to purchase American-made goods whenever I can, I really appreciate the attention to detail that went into the manufacture of this bag.

I will still carry my Tumi backpack for field work, but I am so happy with the decision to purchase the Zephyr and am looking forward to a lot years of using and abusing the bag.

Many thanks to Tom Bihn for providing the exact bag I have been looking for.

Smile My Five-Year-Old Zephyr Going Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe13 View Post
    Just received a Tom Bihn Zephyr and am amazed at the capacity of such a small bag. I have been carrying a large Tumi backpack and got tired of lugging the big bulky thing around the country.
    Congrats on your new Zephyr!

I purchased mine (black/crimson/steel) just over five years ago, and have been using it as my regular laptop bag since then. Going strong, and not surprisingly, looking like it just came out of that TB box! (Then again, I take good care of my "stuff"). It looks professional, and I have gotten lots of positive comments from strangers. I suspect this is partly because of the crimson accent, which I really love.

As a side-note, might I suggest to the TB folks to consider including 5 to 10 business cards with your bags to hand out to people asking about the bag. I've been doing this with my popular-with-geeks Tyvek Dynomighty Wallets (another big conversation piece), as they include a few of their business cards inside their wallets.

I am an Apple consultant and technology instructor, so use my Zephyr to carry lots of gear, including my 15" MacBook Pro and iPad in a case. There is room for more, though sometimes I do need even more room. Is there a Super Ego in my future?

Oh-oh, my BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome) is stirring again!

Finally, I recently discovered that the plastic file dividers that come with the Zephyr are easily removable - d'oh! Since almost all of my "paperwork" is now in PDF format on my iPad, no need for the dividers, and I gain a little extra room!

Oh... forgot to mention ... the Zephyr can get pretty heavy. The Absolute Strap is a must-have!

Enjoy your Zephyr!

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Last edited by cucciasv; 07-27-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Fixed typos -- hate typos!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cucciasv View Post
    Congrats on your new Zephyr!

As a side-note, might I suggest to the TB folks to consider including 5 to 10 business cards with your bags to hand out to people asking about the bag.
    The current bags have a more high-tech way of responding to this: starting with the Ristrettos that were made in March, they started putting QR codes sewed directly into the bags. Someone with a smartphone camera can simply scan the QR code with a barcode scanning app like RedLaser and the Tom Bihn web site will pop up for bookmarking in their web browser.

moriond

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0