Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: one issue with the MCB (for smaller people)

one issue with the MCB (for smaller people)

After getting a bunch of TB bags delivered to me on a recent trip to the US, of course I had to try them out right away. In general, I'm very happy with them, except for one small issue. I carried the the Medium Cafe Bag on a jaunt into Center City Philadelphia, which involved about 4 miles of walking (literally), with a medium-ish load in it: a Kindle, Wallet, iPhone, and small knitting project in a Stuff Sack. It was fine just hanging from my shoulder, but after a while that got heavy and I ran into problems when trying to use the waist strap.

I'd cut off the original slider in order to put on an ultrasuede strap wrap. Now, if I snug the strap up enough to be able to use the waist strap, the ultrasuede wrap is no longer on my shoulder but hanging down my back. The strap buckle is in the way of the wrap. If I move the buckle so the wrap can sit on my shoulder, the bag hangs at my hip, which is otherwise fine but too low to use the waist strap. I donít know if Iíd have had better luck with the original slider grip because itís shorter than the wrap, but thatís gone now I guess Iíll end up taking off the waist strap, since I canít use it.

I'm told the ultrasuede wrap can be forced to fit over the buckle, but even with the wrap I can't imagine that it would be terribly comfortable to have the buckle sitting on the point of my shoulder.

Iím 5í2Ē and short-waisted, of a medium build. So I'm small, but not really unusually tiny!

I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you are describing here, but here's a suggestion (and sorry if you're already doing it this way): try carrying the MCB cross-body like a messenger bag. I have a feeling that the waist strap will work better that way, and the strap will be spread across your torso so there won't be as much extra length. You can wear the ultrasuede wrap across your chest or on the top of your shoulder. I think that with this method, you could carry a much heavier load for a longer period of time.

I don't use the ultrasuede wrap, but I know where you're coming from on the shoulder strap. When I shorten up the strap so it's not hanging way down on my hip (I like to be able to keep a hand on the bag, just in case . . .), the buckle prevents the shoulder pad from sitting on top of my shoulder. It's usually somewhere down my back or in front of my shoulder, depending on whether I'm carrying the flap in-body or out-body. And there's no way to move the buckle through the grippy pad. So sad . . . Oh, and I'm 5'4".
    Cocoa/wasabi LCB, black/wasabi MCB & SCB, steel/solar Aeronaut, Absolute Shoulder Strap, 5 packing cubes, olive Clear Organizer Wallet, turquoise & wasabi large clear organizer pouches, plum & black pen/pencil organizer pouches, 5 Clear/Cordura Organizer Pouches (mini & small/assorted colors), azalea 3-D Clear Organizer Cube, lapis blue & iberian Ultrasuede Screen Cloths, solar Travel Tray, 5 key straps (assorted lengths/colors), red/blue Strapeez, red Guardian Dual Function Light

I have had a similar issue with my Small Cafe Bag. I don't always like to have it cross-body, so sometimes I like to really shorten it so it's pressed between my upper arm and body. When I do that, the buckle/slider is on top of my shoulder. I wish the shoulder straps on the Cafe Bags were adjustable on both sides of the shoulder pad, that way your could put the buckles/sliders where they were the least in the way for your preferred method of carrying. I've debated getting a second Cafe Bag to keep at my parents, where I spend quite a few weekends, but this is one reason I haven't pulled the trigger on that order yet.
    snowbot likes this.
    Aeronaut in Black/Iberian, Synapse in Black/Iberian, Small Cafe Bag in Linen/Steel, 4Z Horizontal Cache in Black, iPad Vertical Cache in Black, 3D Organizer Cube in Steel, Large Clear Organizer in Pouch Iberian, Medium Clear Organizer Pouch in Iberian, Mini Padded Organizer Pouch in Black, Mini Organizer Pouch in Iberian, 16" Key Strap in Sapphire, 8" Key Strap in Storm

Not to be an enabler or anything, but if you like carrying your bag high, have you considered a Little Swift instead? That's where it sits normally (one reason I find it relatively secure despite the open top).

Quote Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
    . . I wish the shoulder straps on the Cafe Bags were adjustable on both sides of the shoulder pad, that way your could put the buckles/sliders where they were the least in the way for your preferred method of carrying. . .

I totally agree! I also thpught that that if the straps were removable on the scb & mcb, they would make great pouches for the larger tb bags & packs.

I agree - I'm 5'3" and the Ristretto for iPad has the same problem for me. I don't use the ultrasuede wrap, but the shoulder strap (worn cross-body) is too long to allow me to use the waist strap. It's a darned sexy bag otherwise!

I'm also short, and I find that the best solution is to simply wear the MCB as a crossbody bag instead of a regular shoulder bag. That obviates the need for the waist strap.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggageófree yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I have slopping shoulders and I carry my Small Cafe Bags cross body.

As a matter of fact I carry my Large Cafe Bags cross body as well, unless I walking for a short distance or want to look more formal.

I agree that the Swift fit much higher up on the side of the body and by some miracle stays put, even fully loaded on top of my slopping shoulders.

Should I say that to a lovely group of petite persons, knowing that I want a Little Swift so badly, but I have to wait?
    Last edited by backpack; 06-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I'm also short, and I find that the best solution is to simply wear the MCB as a crossbody bag instead of a regular shoulder bag. That obviates the need for the waist strap.
    I totally hear what you're saying, but I've always assumed the waist strap could also be used when wearing a bag cross-body. There are times I envisioned wanting the Ristretto totally secured to myself (I'm usually a backpack-wearer with chest strap fastened, waist strap when walking distances or hiking), so the cross-body option doesn't solve the issue for me. I just wish I could adjust the strap even shorter than it goes now so it would sit higher on my body *and* allow the waist strap.
    Shelly likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    It's true that if you are just the right height the adjustable plastic slide on the shoulder strap is in exactly the wrong place: taller and the slide would be lower on the strap, and shorter the slide would be pushed further over your shoulder and down the other side.

If you send the bag back to us, we can permanently shorten the strap for you, no charge (except for the return shipping.) If you're outside the U.S., it may be easier to have a local tailor or cobbler do it, or you can do it yourself. Make sure whoever does it fuses the new cut end of the nylon webbing to keep it from fraying - a match or cigarette lighter works good and do it OUTSIDE. The stitching that holds the plastic slide in place doesn't really get that much stress (as it's the friction of the slide against the webbing holds it all together), so even a few stitches by hand can work.

Hope that helps!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    . . . If you send the bag back to us, we can permanently shorten the strap for you, no charge (except for the return shipping.) . . . Hope that helps!
    I appreciate your quick response & offer, Darcy. I still recommend putting 2 sliders on both ends of the strap. I do have taller family members who need the longer strap. We swap &/or borrow each other's bags. My TB bags get passed on to family & friends. Shortening the stap is not the solution I am looking for.

Sorry, I did not mean to sound difficult or demanding. Love you, guys!

I am also at just that height that makes the standard strap awkward. I discovered today that, with patience and gentle coaxing, the buckle can be pushed through the plastic shoulder pad. This is not a solution if you share the bag since it is a pain to do. But I am pretty psyched about my even more perfect bag.

Darcy, those tips are helpful in case I have to customize my straps in the future. Thanks.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Sorry, I did not mean to sound difficult or demanding. Love you, guys!
    Not at all! Your feedback is much appreciated.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast