Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

I don't recommend, this but the Cache *can* protect your investment in a gate-check..

I just came back from Denver, where I did a site visit (5 hotels in 2 days) for my professional organization's 2015 conference. I traveled with my Ristretto (iPad inside, plus many TB smaller pouches) and my TriStar (with my clothing, plus my MBP 13" in a Cache in the middle compartment, plus cables in a Snake Charmer-also in middle compartment, 311 items in a 3D clear cube, Kit, you get the idea).

And I had to board a Canadair (sp) Jet, and had to gate check my TriStar (at United's request). Only as we were backing out from the gate did it hit me that my fairly new MBP was in that gate-checked TriStar...

I kept calm and thought, well, that Cache is well padded, and I have clothing on one side, papers and the Snake Charmer keeping the Cache stable in the middle, plus shoes and other soft goods on the other side.

Didn't check until I got home, and I'm typing away on my safe and stable MBP now.

So I wouldn't recommend gate checking the bag your laptop is in, but know if it's in a TB Cache, tucked in a well padded TriStar, at least one person had a good outcome.

cheers!
    Laura Gayle
    http://lauragayle.com

Cadet (black/Iberian), travel tray, cache for Mac keyboard and 13" MBP, Ego, Aeronaut (steel/solar), Tri-star (steel/solar), 2 Absolute straps, 3D clear organizer cube, Swift, Ristretto (black/olive), stuff sacks (all sizes), snake charmer, 2 Kits, various organizer pouches, clear organizer wallet, 2 large Shop Bags... and a partridge in a pear tree.

Phew! All is well! Protected, of course, by the cache, but perhaps the additional luck of not having a huge heavy suitcase tossed atop your bag whilst in cargo hold.

I wonder if this could be a new test for the bags!? Like the old Samsonite ads with a suitcase in the gorilla cage? (I think that was an series of ads from the late 1960's or early 1970's....)
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

My concern would be with corrupt TSA employees. I'm pretty sure laptops would be OK in suitcases if packed properly...

You do have a point there. I generally wouldn't dream of packing my laptop in checked luggage!
    Laura Gayle
    http://lauragayle.com

Cadet (black/Iberian), travel tray, cache for Mac keyboard and 13" MBP, Ego, Aeronaut (steel/solar), Tri-star (steel/solar), 2 Absolute straps, 3D clear organizer cube, Swift, Ristretto (black/olive), stuff sacks (all sizes), snake charmer, 2 Kits, various organizer pouches, clear organizer wallet, 2 large Shop Bags... and a partridge in a pear tree.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0