Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: SuperEgoSuperBag

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    ^ best photo ever.
    Thanks! The great thing about shooting bag pics in New York is that nobody cares what you're doing. I have a few more to upload, so stay tuned for those...

This thread is great! My library-science-educated-lovely-girlfriend is going to get that book as a gift, daisy!

When stuck away from home due to a snowstorm (at home, so we couldn't drive back), we were in a small town in Oregon that had a Carnegie Library. The librarian was very nice and happy to tell us about what work had been done, and then undone, to restore it more to the original. What a great way to spend time in a new city - it's like geocaching for library geeks!
    backpack and KmK like this.

KmK
    Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    How about a sexy bag on a sexy lion outside of a sexy library?

Attachment 2363
    Be still my librarian, New York-loving, Tom Bihn Bag-toting heart! That is a great picture!

Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    Be still my librarian, New York-loving, Tom Bihn Bag-toting heart! That is a great picture!
    Thanks! I'll be sure and take more pics next trip in to the city.

Volunteer Moderator
    @KmK and others,
    You do know, don't you, that one of the options when flying in to NYC is to take an airport bus to Grand Central terminal or the NYC Airporter? This stops only two blocks from Bryant Park, and the lions shown in nukediver's picture. As you walk west towards 5th Avenue along 41st St., you can read the bronze plaques set into the sidewalk with quotes from books, as described in this article about Library Way. I'll often take this way into the city from JFK instead of using the AirTrain+subway, especially for traveling during rush hour while carrying a bag. It's a more pleasant trip into Manhattan, and you can see more of the city going in, while your bag is stored below. It's also air-conditioned, if you're traveling in summertime. I carry my Tri-Star (or, it used to be my Aeronaut by default), and walk up a block to Madison Ave., reading the plaques. The uptown express buses run on Madison Ave., and the downtown express buses run on 5th Ave., with a stop just past the Library Lions.

The only thing to know beforehand, if you're not within walking distance of your destination, is that the buses either take coins (including dollar coins, but not pennies), or MetroCards (with magnetic strips) no bills. One of the Hudson news stands at the airport (sorry, can't remember which one) still sells MetroCards, I think.

moriond

KmK
    Moriond...

Oh yes.... I worked for NYPL for a number of years and lived in the City for a total of 7, almost 8, absolutely spectacular years. Patience and Fortitude (names of the lions) are friendly faces for me... when it was still possible, I'd often take my lunch to the library steps on the weekend and simply sit, eat, and write while watching and hearing the world go passing by. Fantastic! SIGH...so many great memories of learning what "home" can mean during those years and dear, incredible friends.

Also, If you come into Laguardia, the M60 is a local bus that picks up right outside the terminal doors and will get you into Manhattan--for 2.50. It's a squished ride, but cheap!
    tCook likes this.

Can't wait to see the pictures!! have a great trip!

Will do! It will be a little later this summer that I can post them, but promise to post them nonetheless! Heading out June 5.
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

I'll just reiterate what Peregrina just stated!

"Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0