Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: My beautiful new SYNAPSE arrived today! I "practice packed" it for a two week trip!

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    As an owner of both a Synapse and Smart Alec, and as someone who wears large sizes, i have to respectfully disagree with Stacybean and others. I do not believe your packing list items would comfortably fit in a Synapse. I am a male and my clothes - even travel clothing - never folds or rolls small enough to fit more than 1 nights things into the Synapse, especially if the you want shirts nonwrinkled. The synapse is a great bag and does indeed hold a tremendous amount but not that much. (It would be hard to put a light fleece -polartec 100- in a bag with an overnight clothing change and an iPad. It might be doable but hard.). Your pack list would easily fit in a smart Alec and leave plenty of room for other things. I often travel for several nights using the Smart Alec with a list your size and workout clothing.
    I totally agree with you, rabegnc. That's why I stand by my original comment: no one on the forum can be much help unless we know how much a person wants to pack and their clothing size. As I said earlier, I wear either M's L or XL shirts (though to clarify, I am not a dude) and I can pack for 2-3 summer days in the Synapse. T-shirts, an extra pair of shorts, and unmentionables. Pants, no way; fleece, double no way. Men's clothing is heavier and bulkier than women's clothing, even when the overall dimensions are somewhat similar. And we're all different, which is why what worked for Lani didn't work for TavaPeak, even though they're both women. I'm just happy that there is generally a TB bag that suits my needs, whatever the context.

After I originnally read the posts in this thread, knowing the Synapse is 16.2 x 12.8 x 7.9 inches at each maximum measurement, even allowing for it's tapered shape, I theorized that a cube 15 x 10 x 4 could be fit into the main compartment. I also assumed that the Synapse would have some give to it as would a packing cube and that give would make it work. But TB CS says the Tri-Star medium packing cube would be the largest cube that would fit. So it would not even be close to adequate. The capaciousness of the Synapse is obviouly in the eye (or the bag) of the beholder. So maybe this discussion will help others who wonder if the Synapse will work for them as a travel bag.

It would be helpful if the TB people would add a non laptop clothes travel packing section to each bag video. It would provide way more info than the current style of videos.

Packbetter, I'm not sure what TB videos you are referring to. Almost all of the videos I have seen have been made by customers. They are demonstrating how they have found the bags to be useful to them. I have been able, though I do not always have their items, to get a good idea from their demonstration as to how my assortment of items will fit. Maybe you could make some videos with your items if they are that different from the existing videos so that the rest of us can gather new and useful ways to use our TB bags?
    Last edited by dorayme; 07-11-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Packbetter, I'm not sure what TB videos you are referring to. Almost all of the videos I have seen have been made by customers. They are demonstrating how they have found the bags to be useful to them. I have been able, though I do not always have their items, to get a good idea from their demonstration as to how my assortment of items will fit. Maybe you could make some videos with your items if they are that different from the existing videos so that the rest of us can gather new and useful ways to use our TB bags?

dorayme
    Well let me add the Fasolatidoe that you are missing.
    The videos I am referring to look like official TB videos. It is the same person introducing various TB bags.
    The Synapse for example. Now if it's the case that those official appearing (to me) videos are not TB videos, then I would hope TB would make official videos providing the type of info I am looking for. The visual information about TB bags could be greatly improved.

If you read my above posts in this thread I layout in detail what I hoped to be able to carry in the Synapse. I couldn't find that info anywhere. The video and the optimistic posts in this thread lead me to think the Synapse might be effective for what I wanted.

What would have been helpful for me would have been a video that had someone packing men's clothes in the main comparment, not a laptop and books and paper notebooks, power supplies etc.
    I am not saying to replace that information, merely to also provide info from the perspective of seeing the bag from the point of view of a one bag carryon travel (clothes and iPad) bag rather than seeing it soley as a day bag or school or commuter bag. Obviously a larger bag becomes a little easier to judge.

The fact that you found info to satisfy your questions about other bags is fine and that was what I was seeking to do as a potential customer by asking questions. Surely you are not suggesting that I shouldn't ask questions about a bag that interested me when I couldn't find the information on the site or on the web?

Perhaps you could make a video showing how you packed a Synapse with what I have detailed above, so others could actually see how a man could effectively use the Synapse as a travel bag for 3 or more days.

I am a tall woman who is well-upholstered. I wear women's size 12 shoes. So you are right, Badger! What works for one woman might not work for another. ;-) For the cabin I usually pack thick cotton crops (2 pr), 1 pr yoga pants, 2-3 t-shirts, 1 longsleeve top, pj's, 2 prs socks and undies, and my iPad. It all fit, but it was tight. That said, I didn't use any packing folders or anything to contain the bulk. I took a small organizer pouch with meds and toiletries -- I keep all everything else at the cabin. Usually I'd take a 3D clear packing cube. I'm not a minimalist packer, though I've done carryon for years.

Packbetter, I think it would be worth ordering a Synapse to try. LauraA tried hers, and it worked beautifully for her. Several others have had great success. Your packing list is more manageable than mine. The Dyneema might "flex" better? I LOVE my Synapse, and hope my teenagers never ever realize what a great, cool bag that it is.

Packbetter I'm a 5'2" woman, and my husband doesn't wear special travel lightweight clothing so I'm sorry, I won't be making the video for you anytime soon. I have traveled with my syapse for an overnight and two day trip. Best of luck finding the information you seek!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Packbetter. I don't own a synapse but I do own a tristar backpack packing cube. 18*12.25*3.5 1100 cub in. The synapse is 16*11.5*7.9 1160 cub in.

In the backpack packing cube I places an ipad, midweight Patagonia long sleeve fleece, 2 long sleeve shirts, 1travel pants, a ball cap, flip flops, and 2underwear rolls (underpants, sports bra, heavy weight boot socks all rolled in a tshirt).
    The shirts,pants,underwear rolls and flip flops fit easily in the tristar med packing cube as well.
    I just tossed it in, no fancy packing method. Closed easily in both configurations. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by lonestar6; 07-11-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Tava Peak
    That opening line of your post was awesome. "Well upholstered". I may borrow that term, but will give you full recognition and credit, for it.

It seems that the Synapse at best is a close call for what I hoped to do. Although I agree that using a cube or a folder may wind up taking away some space *one could hope that the loss of space would be offset by the compression provided. One of the other reasons to use a cube is so that if the TSA decides to check my clothes their is some hope that they could check the contents while still in the cube or folder making repacking easier.

As I mentioned above TB CS who have been very responsive say that the largest cube that would fit is the tri-star medium cube which is smaller that the full size. Eagle Creek cube. I tried putting some things in the Eagle Creek cube and their was no way my clothing/packing list was going to fit. I certainly have no problem with the idea of packing a bag deliberately enough to maximize use of space. However all indications are that it would likely be a constant struggle to pack the Synapse. What if on some occasion I need an extra shirt or other item. The bag would then be unusable for that trip. I think my clothing would take more space than yours or Laura A's.*

At this point as much as I like the design I think it is too small and too specialized to be useful for me.

I thank you for your input and wish you happy travels.*

If your teenagers are eying your bag just stick some 1930's music and some vegetables in it and that may do the trick!

dorayme

Enjoy your Synapse and the associated travels.
    Last edited by Packbetter; 07-11-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Lonestar6

As I mentioned in my response to TavaPeak i did a test in a larger cube than the Tri-Star medium cube and it was not working. I would guess that my clothing takes up more space than yours. The Synapse is apparently just too small for me, even though clearly some women are able to use it in the way that I had hoped to. Maybe in the next iteration TB will add a few hundred cubic inches. I thik MMWV.

Quote Originally Posted by Packbetter View Post
    Lonestar6

As I mentioned in my response to TavaPeak i did a test in a larger cube than the Tri-Star medium cube and it was not working. I would guess that my clothing takes up more space than yours. The Synapse is apparently just too small for me, even though clearly some women are able to use it in the way that I had hoped to. Maybe in the next iteration TB will add a few hundred cubic inches. I thik MMWV.
    I can highly recommend the tristar for whatever you are packing. It absorbs my army uniforms and combat boots without batting an eye. I packed men's large travel clothes in the packing cube. I took pictures, but unfortunately the web interface is not working so I am limping along on my cell phone.

lonestar6

The Tri-Star certainly seems like a great bag, but i have bags already that can handle all of my larger packing requirements.
    I considered the Synapse for other circumstances, but I really don't need another bag, so for the time being I will keep my powder dry so to speak and see what comes along.

Thank you for your Military Service and stay safe.

Lonestar6 , do stay safe, take good care and Thank You for your service.

The Synapse is a terrific every day carry backpack.

Some people, especially petite ladies, and minimalist packers, who take a minimum amount of lightweight travel clothes and shoes (up to size 8) can use it as a multi-days travel backpack.

Regular shoes, lightweight shoes more than a size 8 or chunky ones, fleece and other heavy cold weather gear are almost a sure way to seriously consider the lovely Smart Alec.
    Or, if the length of your torso allows, my preferred travel bag, the wonderful Brain Bag which expends to the capacity of a Western Flyer but can shrink, thanks to its unique compression straps, to resemble a slightly longer Synapse .
    Last edited by backpack; 07-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.

i'm very tempted to try onebagging using my synapse for a couple upcoming weeklong trips! i ordered a versalette last night ( {r}evolution apparel | the versalette ), which i'm thinking might help? i'm excited to see what kind of packing possibilities that might open up, since it could eliminate the need to bring shirts AND a skirt AND a dress AND a pair of pants, and could be changed up by itself plus maybe a belt and some colorful (and very packable!) leggings.
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by capncat View Post
    i'm very tempted to try onebagging using my synapse for a couple upcoming weeklong trips! i ordered a versalette last night ( {r}evolution apparel | the versalette ), which i'm thinking might help? i'm excited to see what kind of packing possibilities that might open up, since it could eliminate the need to bring shirts AND a skirt AND a dress AND a pair of pants, and could be changed up by itself plus maybe a belt and some colorful (and very packable!) leggings.

This is cute, what color did your order? I would say take at least one thin and packable neutral color top, pant and fabric long belt/scarf.

In case the versalette gets stained by a drop of salad dressing or ice cream right in the middle of the fabric and will need pre-treating before being washed.

Please share your packing list and, if possible, pictures.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0