Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: My beautiful new SYNAPSE arrived today! I "practice packed" it for a two week trip!

TavaPeak
    What were you trying to pack in the Synapse. Were you using cubes or other packing devices? The Tristar is a nice looking bag but more than I want to invest in a smaller bag. WF is less expensive but not as attractively priced as the Synapse. I was trying to get the lightest possible bag that woould do the job.

It's kind of hard to know what bag will do the job without knowing what type/quantity of clothing you want to take, and your size. If it was summer, I could pack into a Synapse for a 2-3 day trip. I wear size 40 Euro shoes and size L or XL T-shirts (damn you slim fit). The more precise you can be about where you are going and when, what you want to pack, and how much of everything you want to take, the more helpful we can be, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It's kind of hard to know what bag will do the job without knowing what type/quantity of clothing you want to take, and your size. If it was summer, I could pack into a Synapse for a 2-3 day trip. I wear size 40 Euro shoes and size L or XL T-shirts (damn you slim fit). The more precise you can be about where you are going and when, what you want to pack, and how much of everything you want to take, the more helpful we can be, I think.
    Thanks for your interest Badger. The bag would be intentended for Summer Fair weather travel. All my trip clothing would be travel type Quick Dry wash and wear. So If I could pack enough for 3 days I could just rinse and repeat for la longer trip.I would intend to pack in the main compartment all of these. In the bag main compartment clothing would be in sets of 2, I would be wearing the 3rd set. Socks underwear LS shirts, hat, maybe a fleece and or lt weight thermal shirt. One pr travel pants.
    Shower sandals. IPad No shoes.

I would use the other 5 pockets for chargers cables, keys, cell phone iPod meds misc etc.

Badger I made a full reply to your post and got a message that says the moderator has to approve it? I don't know how long it takes but it has been several hours.

Badger I am reentering my reply.
    I am considering a smaller bag for casual travel of 3 to 7 days in summer/fair weather destinations. Will not carry extra shoes, computer, water bottle.

I would like to be able to pack the following in the Synapse.

All clothing is lightweight,washable, quick drying travel clothing.

Main compartment
    2 each of socks, under wear and T's and LS button shirts.one pair light weight travel pants. Hat, fleece or lt jacket. Possible very lt weight thermal shirt. Hat, Shower sandals, bathing suit. IPad!*

In other compartments sunglasses chargers for iPad, iPod, Cell phone, camera and iPod Cell phone.

Keys, pocket items couple of food bars etc

Meds and vitamins, razor tooth brush, non liquid toiletry items, misc personal items

Boarding pass and hotel and ground transportation docs

If I can get enough stuff for 3 days I can rinse and repeat for length of the trip.

Synapse Questions

I am considering a smaller bag for casual travel of 3 to 7 days in summer/fair weather destinations. Will not carry extra shoes, computer, water bottle.

Main compartment
    2 each of socks, under wear and T's and LS button shirts.one pair light weight travel pants. Hat, fleece or lt jacket. Possible very lt weight thermal shirt. Hat, Shower sandals, bathing suit. IPad!*

In other compartments sunglasses chargers for iPad, iPod, Cell phone, camera and iPod Cell phone.

Meds and vitamins, razor tooth brush, non liquid toiletry items, misc personal items

If I can get enough stuff for 3 days I can rinse and repeat for length of the trip.

I have tried to reply several times. So will try once more:

Main compartment

^That stuff should probably fit quite well, though the fleece may be pushing it. With that little clothing, you will likely not need a packing cube; you may be able to just bundle everything, using the socks and other small items as a core. The Synapse's pockets will hold your other items easily. HTH.

Thanks for your input Badger.I would probably bundle wrap the clothes. However I have resorted to packing cubes so that in the event the TSA wants to go thru my clothes-i can better to keep it together. I am a little troubled that it is so tight that a fleece would be iffy, since even warm places have cool weather and evenings at times. I don't want packing in my bag to be a major struggle each time. I know the smart alec would have more space but I like the design and color combos of the Synapse better. The Smart Alec seems to feature gray and black. I would prefer a Navy or some shades of red. I don't do green. I don't particularly like black and red combos.

A bigger Synapse would seem to be an interesting choice.
    Last edited by Packbetter; 07-09-2012 at 09:23 PM.

A cardigan and a wind breaker, which I use for cool areas and time of days in warm or even hot places, fit together nicely so a light weight fleece should be no problem.

Backpack are you saying that you could fit a fleece and my full (above) packing list into the main compartment of the Synapse?

^ I believe she's saying that, yes. And I respectfully disagree UNLESS you wear size S in everything. It might work if you're a M and the clothes are really compressible and the fleece is ultra-light.

Really, you're not going to know for sure unless you actually get a Synapse and try it out. If you were wondering, I DO think that your whole kit would fit very well into a Smart Alec, fleece and all. I know you're not into the colors, but if what you want is the equipment that will meet your needs . . .

I wear L or Xl and the feedback suggests that the biggest packing cube the Synapse would take is the Tri-Star medium cube and based on it's dimensions there is no way my packing list could be contained by that cube. So it does not seem that the Synapse would work. I am not all that excited about the Smart Alec for the reasons stated above. I have bags available so I don't feel a pressing need to do anything and will just monitor the site for future developments.
    Last edited by Packbetter; 07-10-2012 at 08:52 PM.

The Synapse is so astonishly capacious, well fitting and truly delightful to use that I think that is well worth a try. I am a large human and I think that your packing list is quite manageable. I pack so much into my synapse on a daily basis and I am certainly no expert. Perhaps an extra stuff sack could be purchased in case your fleece has to be clipped to the outside as a back up plan. I have not used packing cubes. I use the old school roll method.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacybean View Post
    The Synapse is so astonishly capacious, well fitting and truly delightful to use that I think that is well worth a try. I am a large human and I think that your packing list is quite manageable. I pack so much into my synapse on a daily basis and I am certainly no expert. Perhaps an extra stuff sack could be purchased in case your fleece has to be clipped to the outside as a back up plan. I have not used packing cubes. I use the old school roll method.
    As an owner of both a Synapse and Smart Alec, and as someone who wears large sizes, i have to respectfully disagree with Stacybean and others. I do not believe your packing list items would comfortably fit in a Synapse. I am a male and my clothes - even travel clothing - never folds or rolls small enough to fit more than 1 nights things into the Synapse, especially if the you want shirts nonwrinkled. The synapse is a great bag and does indeed hold a tremendous amount but not that much. (It would be hard to put a light fleece -polartec 100- in a bag with an overnight clothing change and an iPad. It might be doable but hard.). Your pack list would easily fit in a smart Alec and leave plenty of room for other things. I often travel for several nights using the Smart Alec with a list your size and workout clothing.
    Last edited by rabergnc; 07-11-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Typos, typose, tipoes.....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0