Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: My beautiful new SYNAPSE arrived today! I "practice packed" it for a two week trip!

Quote Originally Posted by jiru View Post
    Wow - I am so impressed! I've never been brave enough to try this with my Synapse. In fact, it has never even occurred to me to try!
    I blame LauraA and her pictures. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jiru View Post
    Just wondering - do you usually get through the checkpoint with (what I am assuming is your) 311 bag? The reason I ask is that I've had to ditch items at the last minute because they didn't fit into the standard quart bag (this was before I got the 3D clear organizer cube). I was using a clear pouch much like yours, but I found out too late that it was too big! I cheat a lot and put a lot of my stuff in my 8-year's bag. I don't know what I'll do when she's older and wants to bring products of her own! Have a wonderful time in Japan! I spent two of the happiest years of my life there when I was in college and I long to go back again someday soon.
    I rarely ever check anything in, so yeah, my toiletry kit always goes through security.

You'll notice that I don't actually use a 3D Clear Organizer Cube as my 3-1-1 kit. I use a slightly larger, quart-sized fully transparent makeup kit I bought from Paula's Choice (although it's available elsewhere).

One big problem with the standard quart-sized Ziploc baggie is that it's not pleated. If you get their zipper-tabbed version, the bottom is actually pleated, making it easier for you to pack them with your toiletries.

I tend to spend a lot of time building a toiletry kit, to be honest. I'm always on the lookout for good little containers to decant into. And except for a couple of items, I rarely ever need 2 ounces of anything, so I can carry a lot of little 1-ounce and 1.5-ounce bottles.

Getting some of your toiletries packed in your child's 3-1-1 kit is actually a pretty smart move. Every person gets their own 3-1-1 kit, so you can easily get various things packed into everybody's 3-1-1 kits so they're all balanced.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    One big problem with the standard quart-sized Ziploc baggie is that it's not pleated. If you get their zipper-tabbed version, the bottom is actually pleated, making it easier for you to pack them with your toiletries.

I tend to spend a lot of time building a toiletry kit, to be honest. I'm always on the lookout for good little containers to decant into. And except for a couple of items, I rarely ever need 2 ounces of anything, so I can carry a lot of little 1-ounce and 1.5-ounce bottles.
    I use a pleated ziploc since it helps things stand on their own. As for the containers, I have quite a collection. Muji, GoToob, Japanese Yen store (including containers intended for soy sauce), and even centrifuge tubes make it into my bag. Here are some that I've been thinking about 5 Empty Mini Travel Treatment Pump 4ml Bottles for Serum, liquid makeup, lotion | eBay

My dry toiletry case is actually larger than my wet, even though I take traditional liquid shampoo and conditioner. I may decant some of my solids into lip balm tubes instead since I really don't need that much product for 2-3 weeks.

Ooo Badger, those are great questions!

My trip is short comparatively speaking. We fly out on Saturday, and return on Memorial Day. That pegs us at 10 days home-and-back, although two of those days will be spent in airplanes.

Also, I'm keeping a sharp eye on the weather. As it gets closer, I'll see if there are any forecasts for rain. More than likely, if we encounter torrential downpours, I'll just buy an umbrella there. If it looks like regular showers, I will probably take a windproof jacket *but worn onto the plane* so it won't need to be packed.

You know, I don't own any Goretex. I live in Northern California. We're pretty much weather-wimps here. That said, my husband is from Vancouver, WA, and he NEVER wears Goretex or even carries an umbrella. He said "wet" is his default state and that living in NorCal dries him out. lol

There are a couple of little gotchas in my packing inventory as well. For example, I'm not doing anything extreme or fancy. No fancy outfits. No hiking boots. No business attire. No exercise togs. Not even a bathing suit. If I were doing any of those things, I'd need to adjust considerably.
    Thanks for your responses, Lani. For 10 days, your schema seems totally doable. Personally, I don't own an umbrella either, but IDK--it seems like a thing most people pack in case of rain. Have a good trip!

Volunteer Moderator
    Just wanted to thank Lani and Badger for the information and pictures of the Eagle Creek Specter Pack-Its. The half cube fits in the front water bottle pocket of the Synapse. The Silnylon material is really ultra-lite (less than an ounce ~ 25 grams). The Eagle Creek Pack-Its, including the Specter line, are on sale at 25% discount for May 15 - June 15, so take a look at these if you want to practice light-packing your Synapse.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Just wanted to thank Lani and Badger for the information and pictures of the Eagle Creek Specter Pack-Its. The half cube fits in the front water bottle pocket of the Synapse. The Silnylon material is really ultra-lite (less than an ounce ~ 25 grams). The Eagle Creek Pack-Its, including the Specter line, are on sale at 25% discount for May 15 - June 15, so take a look at these if you want to practice light-packing your Synapse.

moriond
    Wow, those are good savings. I was planning to pick up a few, so no time like the present. Are you serious that the half cube can fit in the water bottle pocket? The pocket seems so narrow! This is very good information to have.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Wow, those are good savings. I was planning to pick up a few, so no time like the present. Are you serious that the half cube can fit in the water bottle pocket? The pocket seems so narrow! This is very good information to have.
    You're right, fully packed the half cube is a bit too wide for the water bottle pocket. It's really well-sized (10 x 7 x 3 in / 25 x 18 x 8 cm) to go in sideways into the Synapse main compartment, since top of the Synapse can hold this (its length is very slightly wider than my 13" MacBook Pro or Air Cache, so it's pretty well sized for the Synapse).

The sale seems to be through all vendors, so you can order from other sources, too.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Okey dokey, here's a picture of the stuff I'll be taking in my steel Dyneema Synapse to Japan next weekend…<snipped out awesome picture with items in Specter packing cubes>
    The inflatable foot rest is a real splurge. I also have a small folding plastic one I got from Magellan's a while go and I may choose to take that instead (it slides into the front pocket of the PCSB real easily), but the inflatable one is so much more comfortable. I typically am ok with just compression socks, but we're flying direct to Japan and I'd really like to be able to sit comfortably on the flight.
    @Lani Can we get a brief recap on how things worked out with your Synapse as your main travel bag? I especially want to know whether the inflatable foot rest was worth the carrying space, and how well the Specter packing cubes performed for you, since they're very light weight. (The half cube size seemed most versatile for the Synapse).
    • Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Half Cube, which contains a pair of MBT open-toed sandals
    Also, slightly off topic, but which style of MBT sandals do you find comfortable? – I've only used their shoes, and by the way The Walking Company just started a big sale on their MBT shoes four days ago. (This being Hawaii, sizes of my current shoe smaller than 7 were already sold out in the local stores, and I had to order from the web.

moriond

I am extremely impressed. Please tell how it all worked out. I have been slowly triming my packing list down and I would love to be able to travel with just the Synapse. What an inspiration. Thank you.

-Eire

LauraA

This thread has so rattled my brain that, after reading this site for a lon time I finally decided to register and ask some questions.
    I am considering getting a smaller bag for casual trips of 3 to 7 days.
    When I looked at various bags I decided that the Brainbag was too big but I wondered if the Smart Alec was too small and no way would a Synapes work.
    As I searched the TB site I kept running in to into Synapse posters and then I read this thread and wondered if a Dude could actually pack a Synapse with a Dude converted packing list like those attached to this thread. I read all the posts including those of Lani Trip to Japan and Allison trip to China.

So I wonder if you thing a guy could do the same with the Synapse. So far mosts of rhe posts by men seem to be about using the Synapse as a day bag and or taking a laptop and a few other items. i am interested primarily in packing clothes and would include iPad, phone iPod and chargers and misc personal items. I have never pack a bag near the size of the Synapse so it would be a challenge. Another reason for checking out the Synapse further is the fact that I like the design and color combos better than Smart Alec.

Do you think 2 Eagle Creek packing cubes filled could fit into the main compartment of the Synapse.

Long post for first post.

While this might be a bit too minimalist, it makes for some interesting reading: The 2011 Gear Update: Style Edition - TYNAN

Thanks for the link! Yes he ia a little to minimalist for me! I had never heard of him but found a link to his Synapse unpacking video. It is the only customer packing/unpacking video I have found! He pulled a lot of stuff out of the bag. It was interesting to see, but I am really hoping to find a real time Synapse clothes packing video. It will give me a better idea of how people are actually packing and the effective space in the compartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Packbetter View Post
    LauraA

Do you think 2 Eagle Creek packing cubes filled could fit into the main compartment of the Synapse.
    I love my Synapse! I have 2 Eagle Creek Packing Sacs (sorry, no cubes), each with a very large bath towel folded in it, and they fit just fine with room to spare. There was a good 5-6 inches of space left up at the top. Remember, there is still the bottom zippered pocket, and the side pockets and the two top zippered compartments left to pack! I hope this helps!

Name:  IMG_1358.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  915.1 KBName:  IMG_1360.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  857.3 KB
    Katy and TavaPeak like this.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Love the plum Eagle Creeks and the ultraviolet in that black synapse, gochicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Packbetter View Post
    Thanks for the link! Yes he ia a little to minimalist for me! I had never heard of him but found a link to his Synapse unpacking video. It is the only customer packing/unpacking video I have found! He pulled a lot of stuff out of the bag. It was interesting to see, but I am really hoping to find a real time Synapse clothes packing video. It will give me a better idea of how people are actually packing and the effective space in the compartments.
    Packbetter, I tried using my Synapse for a weekend trip to our cabin. It just didn't work for me, alas, and I don't even have to pack extra shoes for the cabin. However, I love my Tristar. It may be more than you want (perhaps a Western Flyer would be "just right" for you?). But I love the flexibility of the Tristar to go for shorter/longer trips. The organization is superb - that 3-part thing really works for me.

I love the Synapse for my daybag.

Thanks for the info and picGochicke. If your sacs are the large sacs the LW are the same but not depth of EC Large cube.
    My thought was tat if i could get all clothing, ipad and shower sandals in the main compartment, I could use other compartments for othe odds and ends.

Is ths size of the Synapse compartments posted on the site? I didn't see thoe dimensions.
    Last edited by Packbetter; 07-09-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0