Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: My beautiful new SYNAPSE arrived today! I "practice packed" it for a two week trip!

LauraA -- You have inspired me. Truly. I didn't want to mention anything yet because I hadn't tested anything out yet, but over the past week I've been adjusting my packing list, and I think I will be able to pack with just my Synapse and Packing Cube Shoulder Bag on my upcoming trip to Japan (we fly out next weekend).

Once I compile everything together, I'll try to take photos and post them as well.

Thanks again, LauraA!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I think I will be able to pack with just my Synapse and Packing Cube Shoulder Bag on my upcoming trip to Japan (we fly out next weekend).
    EVERY time you say "I'm going to Japan," I die a little on the inside with jealousy. I know the list isn't perfect yet, but maybe you should tell us what you're packing right now. You know, to make up for all the jealousy.

Let's see . . . when I get my Synapse, I'm going to extreme-light pack it for a faculty meeting in the ugly third-floor conference room! While the meeting only lasts one hour in human time, I can assure you that it feels like two weeks. Wow, I can sense all of you turning green with envy as I speak, ha ha.

So as not to derail entirely the original post: very impressive packing, Laura. Each time I look at this thread, I see new travel possibilities for this summer and beyond.

Yeah Japan!!! Where are you going to be?

This means there will be at least two Synapses in Japan!
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad RistrettoAeronautSynapseLg Shop Bag • lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    FlickrBlog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Let's see . . . when I get my Synapse, I'm going to extreme-light pack it for a faculty meeting in the ugly third-floor conference room! While the meeting only lasts one hour in human time, I can assure you that it feels like two weeks. Wow, I can sense all of you turning green with envy as I speak, ha ha.
    I'm laughing, but not at your pain, badger, I promise. In a former life, I was a local newspaper reporter, and much of my job was spent covering school board, city council, and county commission meetings, DOE hearings, etc. I came to two conclusions. 1. Meetings are the most counter-productive invention in all history; the longer the meeting, the less gets accomplished. There should be a rule that no one is allowed to sit: that would keep meetings mercifully brief. 2. I was never going to get those wasted hours back, so it was time for a new job. The only good that came out of all those meetings was that I finally learned how to shoot rubber bands across a room.

Hahahaha! You get the I WIN badge!!!

And seriously, Badger -- do you REALLY want to spoil it like that by giving you a "draft" packing list? I think not!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

When I looked at your photos, I thought to myself, "Hey, that's my toothbrush...and my floss...and my deodorant...and I want an Iberian Synapse...!"

My iPad has the tan cover, though. ;-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Hahahaha! You get the I WIN badge!!!

And seriously, Badger -- do you REALLY want to spoil it like that by giving you a "draft" packing list? I think not!
    Lani, I teach writing for a living. Of COURSE I want to see a draft! That way, you can have the benefits of peer review.

My Black & Iberian Synapse just came back from an inaugural trip to Japan.

The amazing black hole held the following items:

Main Compartment:
    2 short sleeve shirts, 2 long sleeve, 2 tank tops in a Daiso mesh packing cube (lightest one I own that zips down 3 sides and smaller than most I've seen)
    1 Jean or Chino's, wearing the other pair.
    Underwear + Socks in small Eagle Creek packing cube
    Kindle keyboard
    Macbook Air 11"
    Chargers/cords in a 2*2*8" bag
    3-1-1 toiletry bag (half full)
    Bottom back of a cardigan on circular knitting needles in a fabric stuff sack (self-made sack)
    10+ papers for reservation confirmations and knitting pattern
    Nikon d3100 SLR
    Pocket sized tripod for point and shoot
    Last year's 4th of July Organizer Pouch (I remember this had a pen. I can't remember what else I had shoved into it after I took my passport out. Time for a clear pouch?)

Bottom Front Compartment:
    Onsen towel
    Marmot Crystalline rain coat
    Timbuk2 folding messenger bag

Upper Front Compartments:
    Headphones
    Zojirushi thermos + 10+ tea bags.
    2 spare phones - my US domestic android and a rented Japanese mobile
    Canon s100 point & shoot
    Solid Lotion stick
    Eating utensils
    Wet Naps
    SLR battery charger
    Macbook Air charger
    Nikon 18-135 or 35mm lens (the other mounted to camera)
    Miscellaneous bits and pieces

I did have to move the SLR into the messenger bag after I picked up a few goodies like a 20+ page glossy brochure gifted by a ryokan and the really cute toiletry bag with goodies inside. And the two boxes of Japanese sweets I bought were far too large to fit but sacrifices must be made for delicious souvenirs. My clothing size is usually XS in the US but M in Japan.

The down side is that re-packing every morning wasn't that fun since it was like speed Jenga. So now I have my eye on a Western Flyer or Tri Star that opens all the way up and just need to figure out where to shove an SLR in one of those.
    Last edited by reeder; 05-13-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention a camera lens

LauraA,
    I wanted to thank you for your post and travel tips with the Synapse. While I was not gone near as long as you will be (three days vs. two weeks), the packing cube idea came in very handy in helping me use packing space more efficiently.

Okey dokey, here's a picture of the stuff I'll be taking in my steel Dyneema Synapse to Japan next weekend:

From top:

• Synapse
    • iPad (1st gen), in Apple case
    • Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Cube containing the bulk of my clothes, which contains:
      • 2 short-sleeve T-shirts
      • 1 pair lightweight capri denim pants
      • 1 pair lightweight black capris
      • 2 crinkle-fabric travel shirts
      • 1 Salux wash cloth
    • Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Half Cube, which contains a pair of MBT open-toed sandals
    • Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Quarter Cube, which contains my underwear (2 pairs of panties, 1 bra)
    • My 3-1-1 kit
    • Eagle Creek Packable Tote bag (in case I buy some stuff in Japan that can't fit*
    • Tom Bihn Solar Travel Tray
    • Tom Bihn Small Clear Organizer Pouch as my make-up kit
    • Inflatable foot rest
    • Tom Bihn Small Solar Organizer Pouch for my Sennheiser noise cancelling folding headphones
    • Adventure Medic first aid kit

Some notes:

You don't see any chargers for the iPad because I'm carrying that in my "purse," which for this trip will be a matching steel Dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.

Took a bit of work to get all my makeup to fit in a small organizer rather than the Kit or even a clear pouch. The trick was to move my eyeshadow from its big clunky case into a contact lens case (I found instructions online). It snaps shut and is waterproof, which makes it perfect for preventing any eyeshadow from flaking out.

I tested the Eagle Creek Tote Bag, and it will easily fit my PCSB in it. But it's really only as big as one of those ladies' tote bag purses, so if I need, I can carry that with my Synapse on my flight home.

The inflatable foot rest is a real splurge. I also have a small folding plastic one I got from Magellan's a while go and I may choose to take that instead (it slides into the front pocket of the PCSB real easily), but the inflatable one is so much more comfortable. I typically am ok with just compression socks, but we're flying direct to Japan and I'd really like to be able to sit comfortably on the flight.

Without meaning to, this is a very Solar Dyneema-heavy batch. I think that makes me very happy!

Hey Lani,
    I'm glad that my gentle imperative was persuasive. First, NICE on the Specter line. I posted about them some weeks ago and no one commented about them, which made me sad. I'm totally planning to pick up a few of those pieces for my upcoming travels, but let me know how they work for you! Inquiring minds want to know.

So here's the peer review. We'll do it "praise sandwich" style as we call it in the business:

First, whether you meant to or not, the combo of the Specter system, Steel Dyneema, and Solar Dyneema look bitchin' together. (Yeah, quote me.) I don't think I could have planned a "set" like this even if I tried! It looks really, really good together.

So, here's the critical filling in the "praise sandwich": I'm not sure you said how long you're going for? Crucial info. Second, is it supposed to rain at all, and if so, is there room in the PCSB for an umbrella or ultralight rain jacket (forgive me; I'm from Oregon and Oregonians take their Gore-Tex everywhere)?

Now, back to praise: I'm impressed that you fit all of that makeup in a small OP, and that, overall, you have so carefully curated your belongings. I know I would be tempted to take an extra shirt, or a bunch of omiyage that I'd never actually give to anyone, or a bunch of camera equipment that I probably wouldn't use. It's clear you know how you travel, and you've packed accordingly. Thanks for sharing with us!

Lani, please let us know how the inflatable foot rest works for you. I've never traveled with one before, but I started thinking about one in the middle of an overnight flight to Brazil in March. I just couldn't get comfortable and my knees hurt from having my legs extended for so long. I ended up resting my feet on my shoes, but that meant that the back of the shoe was rather bent by morning.

So, here's the critical filling in the "praise sandwich": I'm not sure you said how long you're going for? Crucial info. Second, is it supposed to rain at all, and if so, is there room in the PCSB for an umbrella or ultralight rain jacket (forgive me; I'm from Oregon and Oregonians take their Gore-Tex everywhere)?
    Ooo Badger, those are great questions!

My trip is short comparatively speaking. We fly out on Saturday, and return on Memorial Day. That pegs us at 10 days home-and-back, although two of those days will be spent in airplanes.

Also, I'm keeping a sharp eye on the weather. As it gets closer, I'll see if there are any forecasts for rain. More than likely, if we encounter torrential downpours, I'll just buy an umbrella there. If it looks like regular showers, I will probably take a windproof jacket *but worn onto the plane* so it won't need to be packed.

You know, I don't own any Goretex. I live in Northern California. We're pretty much weather-wimps here. That said, my husband is from Vancouver, WA, and he NEVER wears Goretex or even carries an umbrella. He said "wet" is his default state and that living in NorCal dries him out. lol

There are a couple of little gotchas in my packing inventory as well. For example, I'm not doing anything extreme or fancy. No fancy outfits. No hiking boots. No business attire. No exercise togs. Not even a bathing suit. If I were doing any of those things, I'd need to adjust considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Lani, please let us know how the inflatable foot rest works for you. I've never traveled with one before, but I started thinking about one in the middle of an overnight flight to Brazil in March. I just couldn't get comfortable and my knees hurt from having my legs extended for so long. I ended up resting my feet on my shoes, but that meant that the back of the shoe was rather bent by morning.
    This is my second one; the first one developed a hole. I discovered the leak when I woke up mid-flight and my feet couldn't reach a surface anymore. I have a friend of mine who is shorter than me, and I turned her on to it, and she never flies without one now. She says it literally saves her feet. If you have room to pack one, you should try it on longer flights.

Wow - I am so impressed! I've never been brave enough to try this with my Synapse. In fact, it has never even occurred to me to try! Just wondering - do you usually get through the checkpoint with (what I am assuming is your) 311 bag? The reason I ask is that I've had to ditch items at the last minute because they didn't fit into the standard quart bag (this was before I got the 3D clear organizer cube). I was using a clear pouch much like yours, but I found out too late that it was too big! I cheat a lot and put a lot of my stuff in my 8-year's bag. I don't know what I'll do when she's older and wants to bring products of her own! Have a wonderful time in Japan! I spent two of the happiest years of my life there when I was in college and I long to go back again someday soon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0