Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn Coffee Nerd Kit

Tom Bihn Coffee Nerd Kit

I am a coffee nerd! I looked around for a coffee kit to use on travel and at work. I found the Aeropress and like it a lot. But with all the accouterments, I needed a case! Tom Bihn to the rescue. I got a medium Knitting bag. Everything fits with room to spare. I carry:
    Aeropress (two pieces fit together), cup funnel, stir paddle, scoop spoon
    a baggie of filters
    a tea towel
    a bag of freshly ground coffee

It unpacks like a breeze and packs in seconds. Fits in my Smart Alec, Brain Bag and Aeronaut. I can have great coffee anywhere I can get hot water!

Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

I bet the inside of that bag smells amazing. Nice repurposing!
    http://www.playthisrecord.com

My Tom Bihn arsenal
    Bags: Steel/Solar Aeronaut w/ Absolute Strap | Black/Steel Brain Bag | Black/Cardinal Tri-Star | Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec
    Accessories: Camera I-O, Tripod Quiver, Brain Cell, Snake Charmer, Vertical Freudian Slip, Vertical iPad Cache, RFID Blocking Passport Pouch, Kit, Travel Tray, various Organizer Cubes & Pouches

Oh it does! And thank you!
    The only thing I am missing is a grinder that fits in the aeropress. There is a nice one from Japan that is steel. That's my next purchase
    Last edited by joiedwards; 04-04-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

That is genius.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Be sure to order some beans from my favorite Portland roaster, Sterling Coffee Roasters. Their stuff is unbelievable - Sterling Coffee Roasters
    http://www.playthisrecord.com

My Tom Bihn arsenal
    Bags: Steel/Solar Aeronaut w/ Absolute Strap | Black/Steel Brain Bag | Black/Cardinal Tri-Star | Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec
    Accessories: Camera I-O, Tripod Quiver, Brain Cell, Snake Charmer, Vertical Freudian Slip, Vertical iPad Cache, RFID Blocking Passport Pouch, Kit, Travel Tray, various Organizer Cubes & Pouches

Traveling with Coffee
    joiedwards, for a true coffee nerd, above is a forum thread about coffee, you might find some interesting stuff there too.
    http://www.mattscoffee.com/ this is a link to my favorite coffee guy. Well worth giving it a try. Not affiliated, just love their coffee.

Your pictures are great. I don't have a Knitting bag but I have an ultraviolet Travel Tray, I'll have to see if it works. If it doesn't guess I'll just have to order a Knitting bag. Oh dear....

Thanks again for the pictures,
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 04-05-2012 at 01:44 AM.
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

I don't even like coffee, and I think this is brilliant! Thank you for posting your photos. Now you've got me thinking how I could rig up something similar for a traveling tea kit.

Quote Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
    Be sure to order some beans from my favorite Portland roaster, Sterling Coffee Roasters. Their stuff is unbelievable - Sterling Coffee Roasters
    Thanks, always looking for new roasters to try.
    Joi Edwards

I also have a Mate tea kit, but it does not live in a Tom Bihn case. Mate is the Gaucho tea drunk from a gourd cup with a metal straw. Great caffeine rush but softer than coffee.
    Joi Edwards

Thanks, I will check both out.
    Joi Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Traveling with Coffee
    joiedwards, for a true coffee nerd, above is a forum thread about coffee, you might find some interesting stuff there too.
    Matt's Wood Roasted Organic Coffee, organic coffee roaster in Maine - this is a link to my favorite coffee guy. Well worth giving it a try. Not affiliated, just love their coffee.

Your pictures are great. I don't have a Knitting bag but I have an ultraviolet Travel Tray, I'll have to see if it works. If it doesn't guess I'll just have to order a Knitting bag. Oh dear....

Thanks again for the pictures,
    Moose
    I know Matt's! Great coffee!
    Joi Edwards

Love your pics! Thanks for posting them.

Do you like the Aeropress? I've had my eye on it for some time but have been reluctant to pull the trigger without someone's first hand experience. Do you use it to make a black cup of coffee or do you make lattes, etc with it? Do you use it daily or only when traveling?

Thanks for any input!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    Love your pics! Thanks for posting them.

Do you like the Aeropress? I've had my eye on it for some time but have been reluctant to pull the trigger without someone's first hand experience. Do you use it to make a black cup of coffee or do you make lattes, etc with it? Do you use it daily or only when traveling?

Thanks for any input!
    I love the Aeropress. It gives you in effect, a expresso cups worth of concentrated coffee. I then add hot water to taste and a bit of cream. But you could make lattes or flavored drinks. I use it daily some weeks and travel with it. Sometimes good coffee is hard to come by at work. Depend on who gets in first and starts it. This way, i can make a cup if the pot is too weak.
    Joi Edwards

I will definitely be checking this out further. Thanks for the info!

Grady’s Cold Brew is a New Orleans–style iced coffee concentrate that’s brewed and bottled by hand in Brooklyn, New York. I like this alot for instant gratification!
    Grady's Cold Brew
    Joi Edwards

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0