Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn Coffee Nerd Kit

Fabulous idea,fellow coffee lover. Genius!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrist View Post
    joledwards: Great idea! I too, am a traveling coffee nerd. I take my Aeropress, clever coffee dripper, Hario mini-mill coffee grinder, filters, and fresh beans on nearly every trip. It becomes quite the pain finding a way to pack it all. I like what you've done here, and at some point in the future I may give it a try.

Have you found a travel kettle that you like? How do you get your hot water?

As for the Aeropress, it's great. It makes a very smooth, subtly sweet cup of coffee. I own two of them, and have also given them as gifts to friends.

Have you tried the Clever Coffee Dripper? It's a single brew method, and it's really good. It's amazing how different a cup of the same coffee can turn out using these two different methods.
    I use a small, 17 ounce Bodum kettle for travel. It is not as small as an immersion but it is a lot safer. I also travel with an aeropress but I use a travel scale and hand grinder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedwards View Post
    I am a coffee nerd! I looked around for a coffee kit to use on travel and at work. I found the Aeropress and like it a lot. But with all the accouterments, I needed a case! Tom Bihn to the rescue. I got a medium Knitting bag. Everything fits with room to spare. I carry:
    Aeropress (two pieces fit together), cup funnel, stir paddle, scoop spoon
    a baggie of filters
    a tea towel
    a bag of freshly ground coffee

It unpacks like a breeze and packs in seconds. Fits in my Smart Alec, Brain Bag and Aeronaut. I can have great coffee anywhere I can get hot water!

Do you think this would fit in a quarter packing cube?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlin View Post
    Do you think this would fit in a quarter packing cube?
    Yes, it probably would. I have since moved mine into a #2 travel bag, the oblong foot works better and it is flatter. A packing cube would be even flatter.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

jmcrist, I carry a small Thermos. Most hotels provide hot water for tea so I use that. Getting hot water from restaurants is usually possible.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

Quote Originally Posted by joiedwards View Post
    Yes, it probably would. I have since moved mine into a #2 travel bag, the oblong foot works better and it is flatter. A packing cube would be even flatter.
    I may need to try this out. I also saw a collapsible cone dripper at Rei that packs down totally flat, I want to try it. Have you tried one of the able stainless filters for the aeropress? I really want to pick one up but have a ton of paper filters left.

Saw the stainless. Still using paper.
    Joi Edwards

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0