Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 3D clear organizer cube

3D clear organizer cube

I just got a 3D clear organizer cube with a recent order. What a cute concept! I was excited to try it, and like the idea of a container for my toiletries that I can keep fastened to my larger bag, and has a built-in hanger for use at my destination. However, I was tres disappointed to realize that it wouldn't fit all the items I normally carry in my Ziploc bag.

After a few tries, I gave up. I'll have to use my Ziploc bag. Maybe I can find some other use for the organizer.

There is an art to packing the 3D clear organizer. While it may hold slightly less than a quart Ziploc, it's never disintegrated on me while I was in the process of fishing it out to go through airport security.

My suggestion is to try it for a trip or two and see if it doesn't grow on you like it did me.

Yeah, I'm finding that the organizer doesn't work for me as a 3-1-1 bag. It does work for me though as a knitting notions back or to stash my spare electronics stuff.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

I have two of them. One is my makeup bag, and the other is my 3-1-1 bag. I've carried over a week's worth of shampoo, toothpaste, fragrance, and body wash in it without a problem. And it went though security like a dream. I love love love it.

So does TSA accept this bag (in America) as a substitute for a quart ziplock bag? Their instructions are pretty specific and this technically doesn't qualify.

And judging from the OP, is it fair to say it doesn't have quite the same capacity or flexibility of a quart ziplock bag?

I had no issue using this as my 3-1-1 bag in CLT, SEA or ORD.

eta, 3D cube not CQPC
    Last edited by dorayme; 03-13-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I actually think the TSA would accept it, as other posters have reported. They seem increasingly lax about the 3-1-1 system anyway, and all your contents are visible. My only problem was that I need every mm of space the ziploc provides.. Part of the issue is that I bought some "go-tube" bottles to store my shampoo and conditioner in, and unfortunately they have an odd shape which makes it a little hard to fit. Also I have a lot of hair products.

Quote Originally Posted by DQBunny View Post
    Yeah, I'm finding that the organizer doesn't work for me as a 3-1-1 bag. It does work for me though as a knitting notions back or to stash my spare electronics stuff.
    I do like the idea of using it to store my chargers. I could find them easily, the TSA wouldn't complain that they are all over the bag, and once on-site the bag has a built-in hanger.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 03-13-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Has anyone ever tried using a clear organizer pouch as a 3-1-1 bag? That's the size I am used to, and I'm just wondering if TSA folk would be sticklers for needing both front and back to be clear. It seems rather silly to require 2 clear sides, given that one side would normally be lying against the conveyer belt.

The 3D organizer looks nifty, but I did think it seemed shorter in height than would be ideal; it limits what size items can go inside.

Conejo23, I believe it is designed to have the same 1 liter capacity as regs require, but it is shorter because it is also 2" in thickness - as opposed to a perfectly flat plastic bag.

I've been using mine as a 3-1-1 for over a year. No problem anywhere in the US to date (SFO, LAS, LAX, ABQ, ORD, DFW, IAD, SAN, MIA, GRR, OGG. Also no problem in either Toronto or Heathrow. I'm quickly knocking on wood to prevent this statement from cursing me!
    jeffmac likes this.
    YonkDaddy!
    Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Steel/Wasabi Synapse25, Black/UV Synapse19, Black/Steel Western Flyer, Black Checkpoint Flyer, Steel/Wasabi Side Effect, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Travel Tray, numerous packing cubes, organizer pouches

I have used mine at BNA, SFO, SNA, DFW, TPA, LAX, MCO, ORD and FWA with no issues whatsoever.

A clear organizer pouch would not work as the bag must be clear on both sides so they can see everything from all sides. In some cases, even zip lock bags with writing on it has been denied.

I use my 3d clear organizer bag to hold all the little incidentals one takes-- or at least I take: travel duct tape, tiny flashlights, immersion heater, collapsible cup, telescoping backscratcher (not kidding, this is heaven), ear plugs, and then some.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    A clear organizer pouch would not work as the bag must be clear on both sides so they can see everything from all sides. In some cases, even zip lock bags with writing on it has been denied.
    While I've never had a problem with a Ziploc brand bag (because those have the big logo printed on one side), Frank makes a very good point; technically, the Clear Quarter Packing Cube does not qualify as a 3-1-1 toiletry bag because:

- The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is considerably bigger than quart size
    - The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is not clear all the way through

The 3D cube is excellent for carrying and holding your stuff; just not a guarantee through security.

My suggestion is to pack all of your liquids into a quart-sized Ziploc bag, and then put that Ziploc bag on one of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube's sides.

When you are ready to go through airport security, take out the Ziploc bag from the cube and place it on your bin. If you want to try to keep everything together, put the cube on the bin... and then unzip the side with the Ziploc bag and just slide that baggie out and plop it on top of your cube (which you just lay down on its side). If there are any issues, they can quickly examine your Ziploc bag, and you should have no issues.

NOTE: This is regarding the Clear Quarter Packing Cube (the one with two sides), NOT the 3D Clear Organizer Cube that the OP was asking about.

I have used the 3D Clear Organizer Cube as a 3-1-1 toiletry kit, and have never had a problem with it. It meets the technical requirements of the TSA, and even the description for the product says you can use it that way.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    A telescoping backscratcher (not kidding, this is heaven),
    Frank, I read something this week about someone packing ultralight who took a backscratcher, and I don't think it was you. Can you share what the draw is? Because it's a pretty remarkable inclusion. ;-) My husband tends to use doorframes to scratch his back, and that doesn't take any room...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by conejo23 View Post
    So does TSA accept this bag (in America) as a substitute for a quart ziplock bag? Their instructions are pretty specific and this technically doesn't qualify.
    Just to clarify, as Lani did, the 3D Clear Quarter Cube *does* meet the TSA requirements for a 3-1-1 bag. It was designed to meet those requirements.
    dorayme likes this.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0