Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 3D clear organizer cube

While I've never had a problem with a Ziploc brand bag (because those have the big logo printed on one side)
    Lani, a logo is fine but there were some ziploc style bags with designs on them and those were the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Frank, I read something this week about someone packing ultralight who took a backscratcher, and I don't think it was you. Can you share what the draw is? Because it's a pretty remarkable inclusion. ;-) My husband tends to use doorframes to scratch his back, and that doesn't take any room...
    A doorframe just doesn't do it for me. My backscratcher is about the size of a spork, which Is also in my 3D cube and forgot to mention, and telescopes out for those hard to reach places. It weighs a few ounces. Everyone brings things that makes their trips a little more enjoyable. Lots of people take their computers with them. I make do with an Ipod Touch and a folding keyboard. Others take fancy camera equipment while I use a point and shoot and will soon trade that in for an Iphone camera instead. I like my backscratcher and immersion heater. It makes my travel more enjoyable. (And since I travel quite a bit on my own, I can't just turn to someone and say: "Can you scratch 'right there'."

The key to light travel is not who can take the least but to only take things you feel are needed; things you will definitely use. And that definition is different for everyone.
    Last edited by Frank II; 03-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    My suggestion is to pack all of your liquids into a quart-sized Ziploc bag, and then put that Ziploc bag on one of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube's sides.

When you are ready to go through airport security, take out the Ziploc bag from the cube and place it on your bin...
    I tried this -- it works very well! The Ziploc fits into one side of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, and the non-liquid toiletries (brush, etc.) are neatly contained on the other side. Very nice.

And just to clarify again, the Clear Quarter Packing Cube is different from the 3D Clear Organizer Cube that I originally posted about.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 03-13-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Lani and bchaplin - great idea with the CQPC. (Lucky for me, a UV Dyneema CQPC is due to be delivered to me in 2 days. ;-) I like the idea of having all the stuff in one place, even though I also love the idea of tethering the 3D clear organizer to my bag. Nice to have some good options.

FrankII - I know you pack thoughtfully, and it's all about priorities! ;-) I've been eying those folding keyboards. What I really can't ever do without is a journal (small or big), and at least 3 black Uniball micro pens. Gotta have a scrap of paper for jotting stuff. A few years ago, my son (who was 4 at the time) drew me a "travel angel" when I went to Paris. A color copy of that little angel is pasted in every travel journal I take with me. And sometimes some quotes about flaneurie from "The Writer's Paris".
    Lani and dorayme like this.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    A few years ago, my son (who was 4 at the time) drew me a "travel angel" when I went to Paris. A color copy of that little angel is pasted in every travel journal I take with me.
    How gorgeous, TavaPeak. Have you still got the original too? Somewhere safe, I hope.

I take photos of my boys' various artistic creations in plasticine and paper and load them onto my iPad.

JLE, the phone and iPad are loaded with lots of kids' art! My current "icon" from Tyler is on my desk; it inspires me for a future trip:

Name:  Tyler Italy 002.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  46.5 KB
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 04-17-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    dorayme and kmcg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Lani, a logo is fine but there were some ziploc style bags with designs on them and those were the problem.
    I guess I've seen holiday-themed ones with snowmen printed on them and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    My backscratcher is about the size of a spork, which Is also in my 3D cube and forgot to mention, and telescopes out for those hard to reach places. It weighs a few ounces.
    I actually have one of those I keep at my desk!! lol. I never thought to pack it, but that makes a lot of sense. This is the one I own: Telescopic Back Scratcher, Blue Plastic Handle

The foam handle makes ALL the difference in the world. This one seems to be a little sturdier than other telescoping ones I've had in the past. The one I have came with a green foam handle, and I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond (probably at the impulse-buy display near the cash register).

Actually speaking of back scratchers, do you know what I can't do without? A Salux washcloth. I grew up with these since it's written into the Japanese constitution that every Japanese person must use one to scrub with. (not really. But it's like that; everybody in Japan uses one). These things will literally last you forever (I had one that lasted well over 10 years). They never get "dirty" because they dont' absorb any water; they just suds up, scrub you really well, and then you rinse it off and hang it to dry inside your shower stall.

No matter how light I pack, I always carry a Salux with me. I can't even imagine showering with a regular wash cloth; it would be like trying to scrub your pots and pans with Kleenex. They pack into nothing. You don't even really need to pack it in a plastic baggie because all you need to do if you have to pack it right after you take a shower, is to wring it dry in a bath towel. (Amazon.com: Salux Nylon Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Wash Cloth/Towel: Beauty)
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0