Super Ego . . .worth the money

I just received my Crimson Super Ego bag and brain cell. The brain cell fits my 15" PowerBook perfect, and the bag is unbelievable. The quality of the materials and craftmanship makes this bag well worth the money. Plus, it just looks cool! I had bought a bag from another manufacturer and sent it back because it was just cheap. I love that this bag is made right here in the U.S. by someone really interested in quality. Thanks again. To paraphrase (somewhat) a famous American actor who was a "little" crazy, "they (whoever that may be) can have my Super Ego and Brain Cell when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"

I work at Tom Bihn

Excellent!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Super Ego! Some people have mentioned that the Super Ego is a great bag but it's just too large for them. In which case, don't forget to keep an eye out for the new, smaller version of the Super Ego... the Ego!

Ego? Do we have an ETA on the new Ego?

I have been looking at the Super Ego but am not sure if a bag of that size would be appropriate for my needs.

The Ego may be just what I am looking for...

A bag that can hold my Toshiba M4 (Brain Cell Size 2) and its accessories, a book or two and some file folders.

Any information would be great.

John

sue

hey, me too!

I'm 4'11". I'm a ferry commuter and I lug a lot of stuff. Books and files, mainly, but occasionally a laptop, usually some knitting, water bottle(s), etc. etc.

From some of the comments on the site, it looks like I will be dwarfed by the Brain Bag--and maybe by the Super Ego too?

Any word on the smaller version?

thanks--
    sue

I might have misunderstood something there, but wouldn't the ID bag work nicely as a smaller Super Ego? If nothing else you can pick up the ID right away and it's an excellent bag which can carry an amazing amount of stuff.

I can even prove that

Pictures of the ID with stuff in it

Cobos
    If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate!

sue

thanks for the pix

Cool photos--you may be right. . . . I had been leaning toward the backpack option, b/c I think (based on. . .??) that it's better to lug lots of weight in a pack than in a briefcase. But I could be wrong.

So then the question is (and I haven't looked yet to see if the answer's on the main site, which it likely is) whether the strap for the ID can be made short enough to avoid slamming the bag into my thigh every step. (This is a problem I have experienced more than once, and probably figures into my pro-backpack bias.)

Thanks!
    sue

The strap on the ID has buckles on each end which controls the "active" lengths of the strap, and they can be adjusted any way you like. Also do not underestimate the utility of the waist strap on the ID. Very handy if you live an active lifestyle, i.e. are chronicly late and have to run after busses, appointments etc

Having said that I'm not used to shoulder bags like the ID, and carrying lots of weight I find it uncomfortable. My SO on the other hand carries a lot more than me on her single shoulder and uses a lot worse bags than the ID. So the choise between a backpack and shoulder bag is hard. The shoulder bag has better organisation while it's usually better to use a backpack if you always carry a heavy load. Like the Smart Alec I'm using now
    The only wildcard is that I haven't tried the absolute strap yet and that might make a big difference.

Cobos
    If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by jkseger
    Ego? Do we have an ETA on the new Ego?

I have been looking at the Super Ego but am not sure if a bag of that size would be appropriate for my needs.

The Ego may be just what I am looking for...

A bag that can hold my Toshiba M4 (Brain Cell Size 2) and its accessories, a book or two and some file folders.

Any information would be great.

John
    I, too, would like to know if this version will be avalilable in the near future and if there are any size dimensions available for it for reference.

I second John-any info would be great!

I just acquired a Super Ego too...I remember reading in one of the reviews that if you are less than 5'10" and/or ~150lb, the bag will look very large...well, I'm inclined to agree (I'm 5'11" and about 150lbs, and it looks kind of large on me...if I was any shorter or skinnier I think I would feel kind of silly).

That said, if you really need to cart around a lot of stuff, maybe looking a little silly isn't so bad, and the Super Ego is easily the best courier bag I've ever used.

One thing I found funny about most of the long reviews is that none of them really discuss how well it functions as a messenger bag. Everyone seems to take off the waist strap and wear it slung over one shoulder. It actually made me slightly worried, but I'm happy to vouch for it's comfort and functionality when worn across my back. I carry around a lot of stuff, and once I made a few adjustments it did an amazing job of distributing the weight across my chest. I often use the waist strap too, as it helps a lot with heavier loads.

Aother thing that I really like is how easy it is (compared to other bags) to access the inside while I'm wearing it; the zippered main compartment is really convenient for this, and the front pockets are easy to get at by sticking my hand under the flap.

Also, I think people have generally failed to emphasize how awesome it is that you can open the front flap and easily see and reach everything in all of the front pockets.

Anyway, just another satisfied customer.

s

Quote Originally Posted by wergythu
    I just acquired a Super Ego too...I remember reading in one of the reviews that if you are less than 5'10" and/or ~150lb, the bag will look very large...well, I'm inclined to agree (I'm 5'11" and about 150lbs, and it looks kind of large on me...if I was any shorter or skinnier I think I would feel kind of silly).

I ordered mine yesterday and the size is the only concern I have (I'm female, about 5'6", average weight) but, then again, I carry a decent amount of stuff with me everyday. I'm hoping that it will be ok as I am heading out of town the end of next week and would love to take it along. But I'm planning on using it as an everyday work bag, rather than just a travel bag.

My SO has a bag with almost the exact same dimensions except that it's 14" tall instead of 14.5" and I tried it on for size before ordering my SE, and it didn't look large at all...and this bag is khaki in color, not black or a dark color. I know a half inch can't make that big of a difference. Yet I keep reading about how big the Super Ego is and the few photos that I found on line of folks with their SE's, do indeed show the bag as rather large looking in comparison.
    So, I was just wondering if the Super Ego is true to the measurements given or maybe runs a little oversized?
    Last edited by suden; 04-01-2006 at 10:17 AM.

I just pulled out a tape measure and got 15.25" or so from bottom to top, and around 16.5" from bottom to top of handle. I took this measurement while it was sitting on the floor, though; if I pick it up by the handle it becomes "taller" because of the way the handle is attached, and I suspect that the same is true while the bag is being worn.

I think maybe the other thing that makes it look large is the depth; because it has more structure than most messenger bags even when it's mostly empty it tends to be pretty thick.

You'll just have to wait and see how it looks, I guess.

Thanks for measuring...I thought that there might be some play in it because the bag I have here is almost exactly true to the measurements of the Super Ego and it doesn't necessarily look that large. There aren't very many photos out there of a woman with one on, so it's kind of hard to get a perspective.

No way to really know until it gets here and see. I really hope it works out as I really think this bag is close to ideal for my daily work purposes...if not, guess I'll be making do with my current bag and waiting for the "Ego" later this summer (scaled down version).

Quote Originally Posted by jodyneff@m
    To paraphrase (somewhat) a famous American actor who was a "little" crazy, "they (whoever that may be) can have my Super Ego and Brain Cell when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
    I believe you are refering to Charlton Heston.. but John Wayne might have said it first.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0