Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cadet Review

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    409

    Cadet Review

    Finally got through my review of the Cadet. Nearly all positive.

    I find myself strangely interested in the the smaller version for those times when the iPad is all I really need...of course than I start thinking more minimalist and thinking about the Ristretto...or even a Breve.

    Ahhhh, so many bags and so little room left on my credit card!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Rome of Texas
    Posts
    186
    Nice! I love mine-- steel/solar. I wanted something TB that DEFINITELY looks like a briefcase but forces me to cut down on the junk I think I need to haul around.

    Since I don't use wheeled luggage, it took me a couple of days to figure out that the seam on the back concealed a zipper and a way to attach the bag to wheeled luggage. Clever. (Not me, the bag!)

    My only issue is that I wish there was some way to latch the cache. My MBP fell out and onto the floor while I had it out (in cache, attached to bag) for TSA screening. (The conveyer table had an inexplicable turn.) No damage to the MBP, but I was very worried and tense until I could test it on the recombobulation side.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    409
    Hmm, interesting. Do you have the 15 inch or 13 inch MBP?

    I have the 13 and I was actually surprised at how well it stayed in the cache even when it turned upside down. Something you could try is actually closing the MBP on the flap of the cache when you put it in. It is a little bit tricky but it will give you some more friction and make it harder for the computer to slip out...

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Rome of Texas
    Posts
    186
    I have the 15. I might try closing it on the flap, but I think I'll get or make some kind of band as extra insurance.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

  5. #5
    Registered User ncb4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    I have the 15. I might try closing it on the flap, but I think I'll get or make some kind of band as extra insurance.
    I'm so relieved for you that your MBP survived the fall unscathed! Years ago, I was in the Richmond airport and was picking up my stuff after clearing security, when I dropped the padded laptop bag (by another maker) that was carrying my beloved Powerbook G4 12 inch. It fell maybe twelve inches, if that, and landed on a carpeted floor: and yet the Powerbook was damaged so badly that the DC power inverter board had to be replaced, and the entire outer case was bent beyond repair. So when I read about your mishap, my heart skipped a couple of beats for you.

    By the way, it was after this that I did some research and discovered Tom Bihn and the famous "egg drop video" for the Brain Cell. It was my first TB purchase, and I've been hooked ever since.

    I hope you find a solution that makes your MBP more secure inside its Cache.

    ~Nancy

  6. #6
    Registered User marbenais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    my beloved Powerbook G4 12 inch.
    I only replaced my 12" PowerBook this September, when I went back to school. I have the 11" MacBook Air now, and it somehow feels bigger than the PowerBook does, despite being lighter & thinner. It's great, but it doesn't quite have the PowerBook's personality. Of course, it also doesn't have the multitude of dents . . . somehow, despite all of the drops, the PowerBook kept going strong for many, many years. It's still going, as the music computer, just not as my main computer.

    I do need to get a Cache for the MBA, because I've already broken its case beyond repair. I also need a better stay-on-always case . . .
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Rome of Texas
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I'm so relieved for you that your MBP survived the fall unscathed!

    I hope you find a solution that makes your MBP more secure inside its Cache.

    ~Nancy
    Thanks! Me, too! I've only had it for a couple of weeks now and I love it so much!
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

  8. #8
    Registered User xtal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    Thanks for the great review. I'm ever closer to picking up the Cadet. A question: Do you think an SLR could fit in the main compartment along with a couple of lenses?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    I have the 15. I might try closing it on the flap, but I think I'll get or make some kind of band as extra insurance.
    The Money Belt look like the perfect item for that.

  10. #10
    Registered User ncb4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I only replaced my 12" PowerBook this September, when I went back to school. I have the 11" MacBook Air now, and it somehow feels bigger than the PowerBook does, despite being lighter & thinner. It's great, but it doesn't quite have the PowerBook's personality. Of course, it also doesn't have the multitude of dents . . . somehow, despite all of the drops, the PowerBook kept going strong for many, many years. It's still going, as the music computer, just not as my main computer.

    I do need to get a Cache for the MBA, because I've already broken its case beyond repair. I also need a better stay-on-always case . . .
    I love my MBA 11, I really do: but I know what you mean about the Powerbook 12—nothing else has its personality. And despite the dented case (which has the unfortunate side effect of pushing out the plug of the power adapter when you don't realize it), the Powerbook is still doing yeoman's duty as my husband's home computer. Given his druthers, he'd still be using a chisel and stone tablet, but even he appreciates the little Powerbook for web surfing and quick checks of email.

    For your MBA, there are hard shells out there: Speck and Incipio make some. But I'm not sure how much protection that would offer in case of a drop. Is that what you mean by a stay-on always case?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Beaver Dam, WI
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by xtal View Post
    Thanks for the great review. I'm ever closer to picking up the Cadet. A question: Do you think an SLR could fit in the main compartment along with a couple of lenses?
    Maybe.

    It depends on what your dSLR is and if you're using the Cadet as a camera bag, or simply as a travel bag to store your camera in to and from your destination. I own a D7000 and I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Cadet and trying to store my camera with a lens attached. Below is a picture of my camera stuff in my 13/15 Cadet.



    (Lenses from left to right: Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR f/4-5.6, Nikkor AF-D 105 DC f/2, Nikkor AF-S 35 f/1.8, Nikon D7000 w/ body cap attached)

    While there is some padding on the bottom and sides of the Cadet, I wouldn't feel comfortable for this setup (I didn't even feel comfortable putting in there without moving it, tbh :P)

    Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    409
    LOL! I am pretending to be Brian and Katie today. I just got off the phone with someone that was calling to ask me questions about the cadet. They wanted to know how to order it! I had to actually send them over to Tom Bihn to get them set up! How did they find my cell phone number?

  13. #13
    Registered User xtal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by misterN View Post
    Maybe.

    It depends on what your dSLR is and if you're using the Cadet as a camera bag, or simply as a travel bag to store your camera in to and from your destination. I own a D7000 and I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Cadet and trying to store my camera with a lens attached. Below is a picture of my camera stuff in my 13/15 Cadet.

    (Lenses from left to right: Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR f/4-5.6, Nikkor AF-D 105 DC f/2, Nikkor AF-S 35 f/1.8, Nikon D7000 w/ body cap attached)

    While there is some padding on the bottom and sides of the Cadet, I wouldn't feel comfortable for this setup (I didn't even feel comfortable putting in there without moving it, tbh :P)
    Thanks for taking that photo, that helps enormously. I think that my current setup (in neoprene sleeves) should live comfortably in the Cadet. Did you ever try to fit the larger lenses (67-72mm filter diameter) while attached to the body.

    Again, thanks for the stellar review, and following up via the forum.
    Walker likes this.

  14. #14
    I work at TOM BIHN Katy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwet
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    LOL! I am pretending to be Brian and Katie today. I just got off the phone with someone that was calling to ask me questions about the cadet. They wanted to know how to order it! I had to actually send them over to Tom Bihn to get them set up! How did they find my cell phone number?
    Hahahaha!!!

    Don't worry! We're not outsourcing .
    Last edited by Katy; 11-30-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by misterN View Post
    Maybe.

    It depends on what your dSLR is and if you're using the Cadet as a camera bag, or simply as a travel bag to store your camera in to and from your destination. I own a D7000 and I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Cadet and trying to store my camera with a lens attached. Below is a picture of my camera stuff in my 13/15 Cadet.
    Thank you very much MisterN for the photo of your camera gear inside the cadet. I had asked before about carrying camera gear inside the cadet - and you did respond to that post that you would not carry your camera gear in the cadet. I see your point now that I see your photo.

    I am waiting for TB to release the camera insert. It will be big for my panny gh2, but I am standing in line to purchase one when it becomes available!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0