Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: First day with my new Co-Pilot

First day with my new Co-Pilot

My new Co-Pilot in the beautiful Black/Iberian color combination arrived Friday night, and first thing Saturday morning I was out the door and on the train to Manhattan with it. I didn't need to carry a lot of stuff, but when I actually packed the bag, I was surprised how much room was left, especially since my first impression was "this bag looks small!"

I carried the following with me all day, walking all over the city:

Main compartment on the back:

-iPad2 in Timbuk2 case
    -medium Iberian Dyneema pouch with iPhone/iPad charger, and headphones
    -Kindle 3 in a neoprene case
    -Time Out New York magazine
    -New York Review of Books newspaper/magazine (folded in half)

Organizer pockets in the main compartment on the back:

-glasses case
    -Moleskine City notebook, Metrocard holder

Left front pocket:

Tom Bihn Clear Organizer Wallet (attached to key strap)
    iPhone

Right front pocket:

-spare car key (attached to key strap)
    -small Iberian Dyneema pouch filled with various toiletries
    -small pack of tissues
    -small hand lotion
    -pens and pencils
    -spork

Center pocket:

-full set of keys (attached to key strap)

Back slash pocket:

New York Times

There was still PLENTY of room left once I put all this in the bag. At lunch, I took off my thin fleece jacket, and folded, it fit in the main compartment of the bag easily. This still left the center compartment empty, other than a set of keys! I did not upgrade to the Absolute Shoulder Strap; the stock shoulder strap worked fine - it was very comfortable, and never slipped off my shoulder. I plan on using this bag every day; I will need to carry a little more than the above, so I'm eager to see how this will work out, but so far, I'm loving it!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks for the location photo. I'll be looking for you!
    jaon and nukediver like this.

That Timbuk2 iPad case coordinates really nicely with the Co-Pilot and Iberian OPs.

I think you need to get a red spork.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I think you need to get a red spork.
    While it'd match, I'm afraid she'd have a tough time finding it against the Iberian lining!

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    While it'd match, I'm afraid she'd have a tough time finding it against the Iberian lining!
    Good point. There's nothing worse than being accidentally gored by your own spork.

Good point. There's nothing worse than being accidentally gored by your own spork.
    Good grief, I leave the forum for a few hours and now we're discussing spork gorings :-o

And yes, I suppose it would be hard to find if it were red!

Volunteer Moderator
    I actually have the same spork in the same color!

OK, this is a stupid question, but why do you all carry sporks around with you? I could understand if you were bringing your own food, but nukediver didn't list anything like that in her list of stuff. (And boy, were you able to carry a lot in your Co-Pilot!)

Anyway, nukediver, I don't normally like black, but the contrast between the black and the Iberian Dyneema is so striking: I absolutely love it. The pouches you chose are perfect with it, of course. And even though I have a Co-Pilot myself, I remain amazed by how much you were able to pack in there, and still have room to spare. I hope you keep enjoying your new bag.

I like to keep a spork with me in case the alternative is plastic-ware. One fewer piece of trash in the landfill. (I also keep food at work.)
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    I like to keep a spork with me in case the alternative is plastic-ware. One fewer piece of trash in the landfill. (I also keep food at work.)
    I also often carry my own chopsticks, too. Somehow I didn't get the genes that allow me to separate disposable chopsticks without rendering them unusable. I have a hashibako that holds the chopsticks and also a spoon; with those, I'm set for all office dining possibilities. I've had a titanium spork on my Amazon wish list forever, though--it's smaller.

and +1 on nukediver's mad packing skillz. I'm especially impressed that the bag doesn't looks like it's bulging with all that stuff in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    OK, this is a stupid question, but why do you all carry sporks around with you?
    @ncb4, One of my pet peeves is how wasteful we are as a society, and I'd much rather carry around my spork than use disposable plastic ware when I get takeout for lunch (which is often the case, since I'm on the road a lot). It's annoying that it's packaged as a set, and most times, people only use a spoon or a fork, then throw the rest away. Besides, I just love the word *spork* :-)

I have always used some kind of portable metal utensils mostly metal to wash after use. I tried the practice with my delightful better half but that resulted in the loss of most of my dessert forks and spoons. I now clean and reuse the strong disposable fork and spoons that are provided with take out meals.

I think a couple of Sporks are in order but I would be happier if they made a version with a securing mechanism such as an hollow ring between the spoon and the fork to which a lanyard could be attached.

I also saw sets of durable plastic spoon/fork/knife in many colors which could be right up my alley.

Spork Gorings .... the solution :)

Light My Fire now do a case that holds 2 sporks, it even has a loop at one end that will accommodate the clip of a key strap

Last edited by ceepee; 11-27-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Jenne, Katy and dorayme like this.

Ooh, gotta get me one of those!

Do Spork's owners know if the utensil fits inside a Pen/Pencil Pouch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0