Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Western Flyer = AWESOME

Western Flyer = AWESOME

A Western Flyer (with backpack straps, Indigo/Solar) arrived at my house on Friday. I'm sure you heard my squeeeeee of happiness no matter where you were on the surface of the Earth.

As many have mentioned already, the quality of the materials and construction are peerless. I expected no less, given my previous experience and with Tom Bihn's reputation. The bag is so well-made that I wondered what the crew does with factory seconds. In my imagination, they destroy them immediately and completely - possibly with some vaporization ray purchased at auction from an extinquished evil genius' estate.

I hugged it and carried it around the house for a while, and opened all the pockets and imagined what I would pack in them. The two main compartments open completely, which was something of a surprise to me (I'm not sure why, since I examined @dorayme's WF in person a few months ago). It became apparent that I'll need a little help transitioning from my current "throw it all in a big bag" packing method to something more deliberate that makes better use of the WF's design, so I hopped onto the TB website and started looking at packing cubes.

As I read the description of the WF to find out which fabulous TB accessories fit in it, I realized that there were two packing cubes sitting in the strollers right behind me. I think I actually said "DUH!" out loud to the computer screen. I've been using my PCSBs as quick-trip diaper bags for so long that I had forgotten they were packing cubes! I tried 'em out, and yes they do fit, so I patted myself on the back for having such keen foresight. (Then I placed an order for some more stuff anyway...I was on the website already, so I might as well...right?)

My first trip with the WF will be in late October. The husband person is planning to take our wee little family to the Gatlinburg area. I think I have just enough time between now and then to thoroughly obsess about what to take and how to pack it, LOL.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    A Western Flyer (with backpack straps, Indigo/Solar) arrived at my house on Friday. I'm sure you heard my squeeeeee of happiness no matter where you were on the surface of the Earth.

As many have mentioned already, the quality of the materials and construction are peerless. I expected no less, given my previous experience and with Tom Bihn's reputation. The bag is so well-made that I wondered what the crew does with factory seconds. In my imagination, they destroy them immediately and completely - possibly with some vaporization ray purchased at auction from an extinquished evil genius' estate.

I hugged it and carried it around the house for a while, and opened all the pockets and imagined what I would pack in them. The two main compartments open completely, which was something of a surprise to me (I'm not sure why, since I examined @dorayme's WF in person a few months ago). It became apparent that I'll need a little help transitioning from my current "throw it all in a big bag" packing method to something more deliberate that makes better use of the WF's design, so I hopped onto the TB website and started looking at packing cubes.

As I read the description of the WF to find out which fabulous TB accessories fit in it, I realized that there were two packing cubes sitting in the strollers right behind me. I think I actually said "DUH!" out loud to the computer screen. I've been using my PCSBs as quick-trip diaper bags for so long that I had forgotten they were packing cubes! I tried 'em out, and yes they do fit, so I patted myself on the back for having such keen foresight. (Then I placed an order for some more stuff anyway...I was on the website already, so I might as well...right?)

My first trip with the WF will be in late October. The husband person is planning to take our wee little family to the Gatlinburg area. I think I have just enough time between now and then to thoroughly obsess about what to take and how to pack it, LOL.
    Awesome!!!!! I'm glad you're loving it already! I can't wait to see how it works out for you on your trip next month .
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

I'm so glad you got it! And I'm so glad to see your post. I've missed you! +Gatlinburg is so fun, we've made several family trips there in the past.
    It's good to know, 2 pcsb fit in one compartment . Looking forward to your packing lists!
    Oh and you must tell what else you ordered!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Oh, right! I'm such a tease. There's an implicit "nyah-nyah" after "I placed an order" if you don't follow up with what you bought, LOL.

I ordered a Synapse in Indigo/Solar. I love(10000000) that combination of colors. I also ordered a Snake Charmer in Sapphire, a large Dyneema Organizer Pouch in Steel, and a Packing Cube Backpack in Steel. The Synapse is supposed to ship in late October and I requested that my order ship in one box, so I have my fingers crossed that my loot will arrive in time for the trip.

@dorayme, you deserve props for my purchase of the WF. I wouldn't have considered it as a bag choice if you hadn't shown me yours and then posted so many details about how well you traveled with it.

@katy, THANK YOU A MILLION BILLION TIMES for finding this gem for me. I am so very happy with it!
    dorayme likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The bag is so well-made that I wondered what the crew does with factory seconds.
    That implies that the staff are not perfect. I refuse to believe they make any boo-boos.

I hugged it and carried it around the house for a while
    Hahaha that's a great image!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    That implies that the staff are not perfect. I refuse to believe they make any boo-boos.
    Oh my google, I am chagrined! Of course they are perfect! What was I thinking!?!?

(And regarding the hugging, I am glad that Daddy wasn't home because he would have taken pictures of me hugging my WF and posted them on Facebook.)
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I heard that Hermès - the French luxury brand - burns items that are not up to par / seconds so to speak or items that do not sell (they do have the occasional sale for charity.)

Perhaps the TB staff would show them how it's done? After all, they usually sell out of everything!
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

So that's what that squeee was.

Thank you so much. This made me laugh so much I had to stop reading for a few minutes to wipe glasses and such.
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

Quote Originally Posted by jaon View Post
    Thank you so much. This made me laugh so much I had to stop reading for a few minutes to wipe glasses and such.
    Laugh all you like, but why do you think they needed to move to a bigger factory? New machines, suuuuuure. The Zap-o-Matic 3000 is a machine.

Janine, I loved my Tristar on my trip to Africa this summer. Never had trouble getting it onboard (even with a 15# limit and overbooked planes). It was even better at the hotel - it kept everything so organized in a way-disorganized week. Thanks to the pockets and organizer pouches, I knew where everything was. What a great system. That will come in so handy with your little ones! Hope you have a great time.

Laugh all you like, but why do you think they needed to move to a bigger factory? New machines, suuuuuure. The Zap-o-Matic 3000 is a machine.
    I never said I didn't believe you, just that it made me laugh. And I really really needed that laugh yesterday.
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

Quote Originally Posted by jaon View Post
    I never said I didn't believe you, just that it made me laugh. And I really really needed that laugh yesterday.
    Then I'm glad I could oblige. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Janine, I loved my Tristar on my trip to Africa this summer. Never had trouble getting it onboard (even with a 15# limit and overbooked planes). It was even better at the hotel - it kept everything so organized in a way-disorganized week. Thanks to the pockets and organizer pouches, I knew where everything was. What a great system. That will come in so handy with your little ones! Hope you have a great time.
    Africa! That must have been a wonderful, amazing trip!

And thanks for the vote of encouragement on keeping things orderly with the twins. I think Organizer Pouches and the various Packing Cubes have a lot of potential as baby organization products, but it's always nice to have validation. :-)

SUPER SQUEEE! This thread got a shout-out in the blog because I'm a goofball! Whoo hoo! :-D

Africa! That must have been a wonderful, amazing trip!

And thanks for the vote of encouragement on keeping things orderly with the twins. I think Organizer Pouches and the various Packing Cubes have a lot of potential as baby organization products, but it's always nice to have validation. :-)
    The Africa trip was just chaotic. We took huge duffels of supplies for the conference and for the students we sponsor through Compassion International. My hotel room looked like an Office Max. But the Tri-Star kept my personal stuff organized.

It must be pretty chaotic to travel with twins! And the O-rings can be used to tether all those extra binkies and toys with loops. Come to think of it, the rings and extra-long key straps on the Tri-Star might have come in handy when I needed to tether my runaway-prone toddler. ;-)
    dorayme and Janine like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0