Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Side Effect review

Side Effect review

I've now toted, worn, clutched, kicked, spilled on, and variously put my new Side Effect through a week of belonging to me. Which is, I should add, a period of time that has spelled the demise of many every day purses, totes, and fanny packs. I'm not easy on my toys. The Side Effect, of course, was impervious to abuse. It's also exactly right for just the things I want to take with me around town. It's convenient to tuck into my Imago or even in my Ristretto. The pockets in the Side Effect are a good size for phones, card cases, etc. Because one should, apparently, always liquid-test new luggage, I initiated my Side Effect with a kicked-over coffee. It shrugged off the liquid and the plum color didn't even show a stain.

The packing list - iPhone, money case, card case, pen, Moleskin notebook, small bottle of prescription meds, small bottle of ibuprofen, sunglasses, keys, earbuds. I could definitely get a couple more small items in there, I just ran out of small stuff I feel a need to carry at that point. I'm nearly certain this creature is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

I've come up with three nit picks under the heading 'your mileage may vary'. I wish there were elastic 'keepers' to keep the strap ends from flapping around, or that the buckles came arranged so that those trailing ends could be more neatly tucked in. I wish the 'o' rings were on the side opposite the pockets, so both they and my keystrap would be out of the way of things I want to put in the pockets. If you want to put your keys in one of the pockets, of course, they're perfect right where they are. Lastly, and I'm not sure if it would be too bulky for the Side Effect's size, I wish the zipper was splash-proof. I wouldn't even have thought of that without the coffee, though none of the coffee got inside.

All in all, I'm enjoying the heck out of my Side Effect!
    Just, ncb4 and Janine like this.

Enjoyed your review, Sera!

Quote Originally Posted by Sera View Post
    I wish there were elastic 'keepers' to keep the strap ends from flapping around, or that the buckles came arranged so that those trailing ends could be more neatly tucked in.
    Hmm... I have the same problem, and I like your solution. I've had convertible fanny packs before (I think I had one many years ago from L.L.Bean) and the way it kept the waist straps from peeking out was that when you cinched the waist straps as tight as they could go, you could thread the buckles through the hideaway panel and click them together, and it cinched up so tight that it automatically pulled and tucked everything in. The straps for the Side Effect are a little longer than that, hence their peekabooing. Still an awsome bag, but I agree that having some way to keep them neatly tucked in would be great.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I originally threaded my SE straps as Maverick had videoed, but today, humerously, before this thread, I clicked the ends of the strap together under the panel, then cinched the strap ends as tight as they would go. Lastly I carefully folded them back onto themselves and tucked them over the buckle. So far, everything is secure and it seems maybe a bit tighter and more low profile than it was before.
    ncb4 likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I've been able to get the straps folded under fairly neatly, but I am more patient than other people in my house :-)
    Janine likes this.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black Side Effects, steel/ultraviolet Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/ultraviolet (C) & steel/ultraviolet (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Even though I just found a low profile method, I would prefer a waist strapless version. I will probably never use those straps. My middle has enough thickening without adding a TB bag, no matter how trim it is!
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Even though I just found a low profile method, I would prefer a waist strapless version. I will probably never use those straps. My middle has enough thickening without adding a TB bag, no matter how trim it is!
    +1 from me on both counts. I would prefer a SE without the waist strap and just carry it with a wrist strap.
    Maria and Janine like this.
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    +1 from me on both counts. I would prefer a SE without the waist strap and just carry it with a wrist strap.
    Add my +1 on both counts.

There's some good discussion of SE v2 mods in another thread, but it's testimonial to the rightness of a suggestion if it crops up again in another place spontaneously! (See other thread here.)

Of all the mods we asked for, I think leaving out the waist straps might be the simplest. In fact, such a bag might be constructed that way by "accident." And if it was, I'm sure there are several people on this forum who would happily take it off the TB folks' hands and report back thoroughly on what effect that "accidental" change had on the use and function of the bag. Not telling anyone what to do, of course...just sayin'. And, uh, sort of volunteering. :-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

And an accidental omission would still allow the user to pass one's belt through the slot on the back. And if one had a leave of one's senses and needed to wear it as a waist bag, the option would still exist.
    If more than one accidental bag were to be made, I would also be very delighted to test this bag and report back pictures, thoughts, etc. Just sayin'

I originally threaded my SE straps as Maverick had videoed, but today, humerously, before this thread, I clicked the ends of the strap together under the panel, then cinched the strap ends as tight as they would go. Lastly I carefully folded them back onto themselves and tucked them over the buckle. So far, everything is secure and it seems maybe a bit tighter and more low profile than it was before.
    Thanks Dorayme I tried this on my SE & it does seem a lil tighter! Like others I wish they made an SE2 with no straps & in the Ultrasuede.
    dorayme likes this.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

What about removable like the Cafe bags? I almost never use the waist strap, but there was the one day I had a longish walk after work and didn't want the shoulder strap rubbing my neck. And I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to put my Side Effect into my small Cafe bag. Now if I could only get my sunglasses into the Side Effect. ( I wear glasses, so my sunglasses are the fit over your glasses type.)
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

I will probably never use those straps. My middle has enough thickening without adding a TB bag, no matter how trim it is!
    I just wanted you to know that this made me giggle!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I know this is wrong, wrong, diddly wrong, but I just cut off the waist straps. Solved the problem for me...

And I agree, it's amazing what the Side Effect can carry! It's like a super-organizing pouch for the Imago, which then converts instantly into a compact little purse/day bag.
    Walker and snowbot like this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Please post a photo. I do not like waistbags. I actually considered buying a side effect with the intent of cutting off the waist straps.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I know this is wrong, wrong, diddly wrong, but I just cut off the waist straps. Solved the problem for me...

I think I just heard some Tom Bihn bags scream.

Quote Originally Posted by LiLin View Post
    Please post a photo. I do not like waistbags. I actually considered buying a side effect with the intent of cutting off the waist straps.
    Me too :-) i like everything about this little bag save the dastardly fanny pack straps.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0