Co-Pilot as a computer bag

I have a Co-Pilot in Steel Dyneema. I got it to use as a computer bag. One that can carry a quart-size water bottle.

And it works! My Sony Vaio Z is officially 12-2/5" wide, and it fits just fine in the Co-Pilot's main compartment. For quite a while I just put it in "unprotected," and was careful with the bag -- and it was fine, even when traveling.

I've since gotten a Waterfield "13 inch MacBook Pro" Suede Jacket -- the Ultrasuede sleeve that's only padded on the bottom, which is really only where I needed it for this use. And the computer and sleeve still fit inside the Co-Pilot, though it's a tad tight (the sleeve probably increases the width to about 12-5/8").

Been using it now as my everyday computer bag for 7 months and my computer is still just fine.

Oh, and the accessories -- charger, wireless mouse, earbuds -- fit just fine in the main compartment's pockets along with the computer.

Conclusion: If you're traveling with a Vaio Z, or perhaps a MacBook (which seems to be about the same size), and you're willing to take a bit of care, the Co-Pilot *will* fit your computer and work well as a computer bag.

I do think it might be nice if it were 13" instead of 12"...then it would fit a neoprene computer case. I think a lot of Tom Bihn customers have 13" MacBook Pros (or Vaio Zs).

ETA pictures, packed pretty much as it was last time I traveled.

Without Suede Jacket:
    Name:  1-NoSuedeJacketSm.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  314.6 KB

Other side:
    Name:  2-FrontSm.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  363.6 KB

Closed:
    Name:  3-ClosedSm.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  362.7 KB

With Suede Jacket:
    Name:  4-SuedeJacketSm.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  370.2 KB

Everything that was in it (and one side pocket was still almost empty):
    Name:  5-ContentsSm.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  305.8 KB
    Last edited by hiker; 07-22-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added pictures

Amazing: I'd never have thought you could fit a 12-inch computer inside a Co-Pilot. Has anyone out there been able to fit a 13-inch Macbook in their Co-Pilot?

Very nice! I, too, have the Co-Pilot in Dyneema--in my opinion the lighter fabric allows for more "give" and hence the ability to stuff more things in it.

I thought getting an iPad, windbreaker, folding bluetooth keyboard, snacks, water bottle, iPhone, pens, pencils, earphones, visor, wallet, sunglasses, and some make-up was good, but I think you've got me beat with your Vaio! I figured it could definitely fit a netbook, but yours is much more than that.

What an awesome little laptop bag!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I can easily fit my 12.1" PowerBook in a NeoCase inside the ballistic nylon Co-Pilot. It's a perfect fit!
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Well this just ups the Ante for me!
    I now wonder if the 11" Macbook Air will go in the Co-Pilot thus requiring me to get one in Indigo?

The machine measures under 12" wide which I think makes it possible.

Did you catch how fast I justified this?

Ed

11 inch MacBook Air in a cache fits nicely in a co-pilot. It just fits but the bag is not stretched.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0