Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By cpeters
  • 1 Post By lotuseater

Thread: Western Flyer fan

Western Flyer fan

I have just returned from a two week trip in Central Vietnam. Protected areas, workshop, and a lot of car time. This was the first time to use my new Western Flyer bag (black, with backpack straps). Clothes, toiletries, fieldbooks, GPS, gong fu tea set, oolong tea, novel, computer cables and dongles, map, Skype headphones, flip-flops, extra camera battery, cell phone, and an inflatable zafu. With enough room to even bring back a few gifts.

I am a tropical ecologist and I travel a lot to some weird places (see http://thusihaveseen.squarespace.com/). The Western Flyer is the best, most versatile, and aesthetically appealing bag I've ever used. Period. Thank you Tom Bihn.

P.S. I love the zippers.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cpeters View Post
    gong fu tea set
    I know these are tiny compared to other tea sets, but I am still amazed you could carry one of these along with the rest of your gear in the WF! You have my admiration!

Music City Tea — Gong Fu Tea Travel Set
    Fits snugly and securely in the front compartment.

<-- HUGE WF fan here! Oooo a traveler after my own heart. Thanks for your review. I just love reading about the ways people can travel extensively with just the Western Flyer.

I had no clue what a zafu was so I did have to look it up. Those look really nice! Guess it's a fancy zabuton (floor cushion) like the ones I used to sit on when I lived in Japan as a kid.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

respect to you both a tom bihn user and a gong fu tea style drinker like myself. i do love drinking tea gong fu style but never out on the road or traveling.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Gong Fu tea on the road can add a whole new dimension to your traveling. Thanks for all your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by cpeters View Post
    Gong Fu tea on the road can add a whole new dimension to your traveling. Thanks for all your comments.
    Hmm... another item I have to google. I don't know what gong fu tea is, or how it's prepared. Sounds fancy!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Hi,
    What do you think about Empire Builder? Can I use it for travel?
    Any ideas?

Short answer - Sure you can. Longer answer - It depends what you want to carry in it; whether you like the briefcase style vs backpack; your mode(s) of transportation while travelling; whether you're staying in one place or moving around daily on the trip; and how long you're travelling for. There might be a better bag for you.

My first TB bag was the Empire Builder. I expected to use it as a daily laptop bag with space for files. When I travel it's usually for 3-4 days at a time to a single location. I prefer to one-bag for that type of trip, and the EB is too small for multiple changes of clothes along with the laptop. So I use my Tri-Star instead. But if I have an overnight trip, I'll often take just the EB with me, and keep the single change of clothes in a packing cube or an Eagle Creek Pack-It folder. The constant here is that I use it as a laptop bag first and foremost. The walls and the floor are heavily padded, and the bag is quite rigid. That offers a decent amount of protection, although I usually add a second layer - a Brain Cell or similar.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the EB if it's going to be used primarily for clothes. A Western Flyer or a Smart Alec are just slightly larger in capacity, but they are significantly lighter without the EB's padding (2.5 lbs and 1.8 lbs vs. 3.3lbs respectively). The lack of padding means that they will conform to your body a little better, which is typically more comfortable. Both can be carried as backpacks, but the Western Flyer can also be carried like a briefcase or over the shoulder.
    dorayme likes this.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0