My first trip with the Tri-Star

My son and I have decided to travel to each Major League Baseball stadium over the next three seasons. I bought the Tom Bihn Tri-Star to use during these trips. Our first destination is Denver Colorado where we are watching the Rockies host the Arizona Diamondbacks for Opening Day.

From the moment I began packing I quickly realized how impressive the Tri-Star was. It had a place for everything. From my Macbook Pro to places to store the mementos from the ballpark we are completely covered.

It was a cinch getting through airport security. While everyone else was rummaging through their luggage for liquids and electronics, I unzipped two compartments and removed the Macbook Pro and my 3D Clear Organizer Cube. I was in and out before most people even got their bags on the conveyor.

The Tri-Star was the perfect size to carry onto the plane and took up much less space in the overhead bin than most of the other bags I saw and I was confident I had more storage as well; a result of Tom Bihn bags superior design.

We are only part way through our trip. I am sitting in the hotel room relaxing with the knowledge that when it comes time to return home not only will I have the memories of a great vacation with my son watching baseball but also the peace of mind knowing that I will never have to worry about my luggage not able to withstand the rigors of 30 baseball stadium tours.

When it gets time to visit Seattle and watch the Mariners I plan on hopefully taking some extra time to visit the palatial Tom Bihn store to perhaps pick up some accessories and say thanks for designing and building such a great bag as the Tri-Star.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums, AZJazzyJ! Great review of the Tri-Star -- we'll feature it on our blog soon.

We're pretty close to Safeco Field, so I hope you can stop by. Keep us posted on how the trips go!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by AZJazzyJ View Post
    My son and I have decided to travel to each Major League Baseball stadium over the next three seasons.
    Oh that sounds like such a great trip. I hope you guys have fun!

My husband and I have talked about maybe following a team all season long, if not to all the games, at least to one away game per series.

I hope you have a chance to do a little research to find out what each stadium is known for, whether it be the Ichiro Roll sushi (OK I don't remember 100% if they called it that, but they sold sushi there) or Gordon Biersch garlic fries at AT&T Park.

Jealous!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I have always wanted to visit a baseball stadium in each of the cities I've visited. So far I've only done drive-bys of the two stadiums in Chicago and the one in Cleveland. Oh well, maybe I'll end up doing what you're doing one day.

AJ, what a great plan to do with your son! Cheers from here for being a good Dad! I have all girls and I have only managed to turn one of them into a sports fan so it is analysis of the royal wedding, antique shopping and dinner out with Daddy for me.

Not complaining though, nobody loves a Daddy like his girls!

Glad you are loving the Tristar! Are you doing any minor league on this trip? The Memphis and Louisville parks are awsome!

A pic or two of you and the bags at one of the parks would go over big here...

Tri-Star and Ball Parks

I just made my first trip with a Tri-Star last month. It was a Tuesday to Friday business trip and performed well. I have a very heavy ~9 lbs. work laptop, but I don't suppose I can blame that on the bag.

As for ball parks, the new home of the College World Series just opened last month in Omaha. It's a very nice park if you are in the area. There is also a brand new ball park for the AAA team on the other side of town. I would have preferred that they share the same park, but they didn't ask me.

I have a colleague who routinely travels with both a Lenovo W700 series (8lb 10oz) and a Lenovo T61 (5lb 4oz) in a single backpack. He looked at my Tri-Star with great interest, but couldn't get past the idea of adding the weight of clothes on top of almost 14 lb of hardware in a single bag. Then again, he's a kitchen sink kinda guy, so the chances of weaning him off a rollaboard are slim to none.

On the rare occasion I have to carry both my company's laptop and a client's machine, I bust out the Empire Builder. I know my limits with the Tri-Star and 10+ lb of laptops exceeds it. Kudos to you JonP for managing with the Tri-Star while having to haul such a beast of a computer.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0