Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Yet another use for the Large Shop Bag

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas

Yet another use for the Large Shop Bag

Sorry no pics, you will get it when you read further. I had surgery on Tuesday morning and had to spend the night overnight on Tuesday into Wednesday in the hospital. I had packed an overnight bag with my personal items, a robe and gown and some reading material. I had a small stuff sack with my knitting for when I was stuck in the pre-op area as well as my wallet, cell phone and a few other items I wanted close, the unisex nature of this bag made it easy for dh to tote it away when he left me in the pre-op area.
    But what I'm writing about is my Large Shop Bag. I had it with me as well and when I changed into the lovely paper surgical gown and slipper socks I shed my knee high EMU Australian boots and Mountain Hardware downtown coat vs. dh having to try to tote those around, or me having to try to stuff them into the nasty plastic personal belongings bag, I put them into my Large Shop Bag. Dh was able to take them to the car for me and when I needed them after surgery the bag was convenient to bring back in to my room.
    I love my TB bags. They are so versatile and functional. They inspire creativity and are useful for everyday and special occasions.
    AHS0 likes this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Get well soon!

Aww...thanks for sharing. Here's to the small pleasures of organization! Hope you get well soon!

My husband just had heart surgery two weeks ago, and the night before, we spent quite a while considering which Tom Bihn bag he should bring for his stuff.

We ended up with using the Western Flyer, though if we had it, the Synapse might have been the winner. Still, it's funny to think that our main concern the night before surgery was, "What bag should we bring?"
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Get Well Soon for Dorayme and Flitcraft husband!

In our everyday lives, Tom Bihn bags are familiar and reassuring objects. Planning which bag to take is a way of relieving some of the anxiety that accompanies surgery or other stressful events.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    ...the night before, we spent quite a while considering which Tom Bihn bag he should bring for his stuff.

We ended up with using the Western Flyer, though if we had it, the Synapse might have been the winner. Still, it's funny to think that our main concern the night before surgery was, "What bag should we bring?"
    Great choice!! The Synapse came with me when I had my wisdom teeth out recently. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by notmensa View Post
    Great choice!! The Synapse came with me when I had my wisdom teeth out recently. :-)
    And mine came with me last summer when I had some angio work done! Tom Bihn products make great hospital bags!
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    Still, it's funny to think that our main concern the night before surgery was, "What bag should we bring?"
    I love this comment!

Best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I third the well-wishes to dorayme and flitcraft's husband... here's to speedy recoveries!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thank you everybody, your well wishes are helping to speed me on my way! I too wish Mr. flitcraft a speedy recovery. As I'm going through my own version of it on my end, I can empathize with him, and his caregiver Mrs. flitcraft.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Hope everyone is on the mend

I really like this thread, too: and my best wishes to all those who wrote about surgeries and hospitalizations. I hope all of you are feeling stronger now.

I used my Swift as a hospital bag too last November when my father had experimental heart valve surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. My mother, sisters, and I basically lived at the clinic every day for the first week, and even though we were a short walk from the hotel, I wanted a bag in which I could carry everything I might need for an entire day. I was able to put a ton of stuff the Swift: my wallet, cell phone, iPod Touch in a small Cork Organizer, camera, sunglasses, lots of toiletries and some ibuprofen in one of the Clear Zip pockets, my Macbook (carried inside a non-Bihn padded hardshell case), its adapter, an insulated 16-ounce travel mug for chai, a book to read, a Stuff Sack with a knitting project, a notebook, a Pen/Pencil Organizer with lots of pens and highlighters, snacks, and a scarf/shawl to keep warm in cold waiting rooms, There was even room to stow all the handouts we kept receiving from the medical staff.

The Swift was stuffed to overflowing, and was pretty heavy, but those amazing straps made it comfortable to carry. And believe it or not, I used everything in the bag on a regular basis during that week. It made it easier to keep all our friends and family across the world posted on my dad's progress, and for us to stay as comfortable as we could. I loved the Swift before that trip, but now I can say I am truly grateful for it as well.

And my father is recovering well from what was a grueling procedure, so we are grateful for that, too.

ncb4 Woohoo! Glad your dad is recovering well.

My swift has been used daily since New Years 2011 when it arrived in my hot little hands. It has been a FANTASTIC carryon bag for the flight home to Australia (I will *NEVER* fly without it again!). It's my daily bag used to transport my work uniform (Ikea), including my steeltoe boots, my lunch, a notebook, my wallet, a stuff sack (holding my work tags, keys, lipstick and other odds/ends), a 600ml water bottle and more. I can easily fit a 3 liter (gallon) jug of milk, 2lbs of ground beef, a pack of english muffins, a brick of cheese and several recipe packets on grocery shopping trips before it gets too heavy to handle comfortably. The multi hole button strap is genious! I usually use the middle one, but lately the small one has been perfect.

(Had our babies lived this would have been my diaper bag as well. The pockets are going to be perfect for mini packs of wipes, tissues, any little tubes of ointment, etc.)

Next time we have a baby, it's gonna be a diaper bag. A posh diaper bag at that! And it'll be my hospital bag with camera, spare USB/SD/SDHC cards, notebook and pens, water bottle, snacks, reading materials and other stuff. Can't wait. Hurry up positive pregnancy tests!
    Last edited by Jillaroo07; 04-08-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jillaroo07 View Post
    My swift has been used daily since New Years 2011
    Back to the future?
    --------------------------------

My Ultraviolet arrived yesterday and I am ready to get groceries now!

I love these bags, they are some of my favorites, and combined with the Utility Totes of yesteryear they make a nice shopping complement. I am ready to hit the shops and get groceries for my family. All of my lesser reusable bags have been retired to be given away.

oh and I have determined, I need more Solar, more Ultraviolet, more Iberian, more Steel. Basically more Dyneema. This stuff is like crack for the bag addict!

the colors look lovely here!!! wish i could fold the shopping bags so neatly!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Those are totally awesome photos, dorayme -- especially the second one!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0