Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Thoughts on Western Flyer

I'm now the proud owner of a Crimson/Steel Western Flyer (need to update my signature!). I got it in Crimson to match my Swiss Army Rolling Tote so I wouldn't have to think about which color bag I was using (although I was tempted by the Indigo/Solar).
    The construction of the bag is amazing. The handle is comfortable, the small grab handles are unobtrusive yet easy to grasp, the splash proof zippers should be a real boon in rain, and the outer pockets are all well thought out.
    I'm amazed at what it can hold. I also bought a horizontal Brain Cell and put it and my Freudian Slip in the back compartment. In the front compartment I packed all the things I had used for a three day trip this week: pants, two blouses, two tee shirts, underwear, socks, medicines and non-liquid toiletries in a 3D organizer pouch.
    In a couple of weeks I'll be on a trip and will try using the Western Flyer and Swift, and forgo my regular computer bag. When I need to carry my computer I'll use the Brain Cell and the Swift will hold the Freudian Slip. And of course I'll have my Side Effect when I just need a purse.
    The only disappointment was my Absolute Strap wasn't in the box, so I haven't had a chance to see what it's like. But I've spoken to Eliam and it will be on it's way tomorrow.
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

Hey there: I am sure you will grow to love the WF even more! I have the earlier iteration (with open pocket in front), and it is the only bag I really use for most of my short hops. Longer hops, I take the WF in combo with a small roll aboard, or the Smart Alec. Serve all my needs. I find it very versatile. I have the Steel/Solar---there is something about Solar still!
    enjoy your bag. And you will love the absolute shoulder strap..no doubt about that!

I work at TOM BIHN

Absolute Shoulder Strap

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your bags! I'm sure you'll also find the Absolute Shoulder Strap to be just as amazing. I've checked with shipping and it is on its way to you! Apologies for the mistake and any inconvenience this may have caused.
    --
    Eliam Puente
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 1-866-747-7949 (Other Countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Thanks Eliam. Just received the email from UPS! Really looking forward to trying out the Absolute Shoulder Strap. Fortunately this weekend I'll be driving, so carrying the WF by hand should be fine.
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

As I am interested in TB travel bags (currently the owner of a SuperEgo, Hor. Freud. Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Passport Pouches) and eventually will buy more, I would love to see wennefer post images of the Flyer (being packed and being worn) when convenient.

Here are my REAL first thoughts of the Western Flyer, based on my first trip. This was a four day trip to deal with a family emergency. At the same time I had some work related things to try to attend to, so I needed my computer and iPad.

I used the back compartment to hold my MacBook Pro in a horizontal Brain Cell. Power adapter, cable, and mouse were in one of the pockets. In addition, there was a large platic comb bound book. In the front compartment I used a medium packing cube for: 1 blouse, 3 tee shirts, 1 pair of pants, underwear, and socks. This was the first time I've used a packing cube and was impressed at how it compressed clothing and kept things neat (no wrinkles!). I also used a 3D organizer for dental floss, inhaler, etc. I used a small stuff sack for dirty laundry.

As for the outside pockets...My liquids and gels were in a ziploc bag in the top zippered pocket. I kept an umbrella in the water bottle pocket. I have the roller back, and used the large pocket for a windbreaker and the small pocket for boarding passes.

The bag was heavy, but the Absolute Shoulder Strap and the Poron handle made it easy to carry. I didn't have to run through the airport, but had quite a hike (why are my gates always at the end of the terminal?) and I managed without any problem. It could fit standing up in the overhead bin and the side handles made it easy to get the bag in and out of the bin. The arrangement of the Brain Cell in the back compartment and the placement of the handle made it a breeze to go through security: unzip bag, open top of brain cell, and the computer comes right out.

In addition to the awesome functionality, the bag is simply beautiful. It's neat and trim, even when full. The materials are beautiful and the craftsmanship is superb.

Addendum--the laptop and iPad. I used the Brain cell with the Absolute Strap to carry my laptop around. The Brain Cell/suitcase system is wonderful design: carry the laptop in the suitcase while traveling and then just use the Brain Cell as a laptop bag. The convenience of one piece of luggage to manage en route with the flexibility of two bags. I ended up taking the Ristretto for iPad for iPad plus keyboard, etc; Side Effect for eyeglasses, keys, wallets, etc; and used the Swift to consolidate these while traveling (plus some organizer pouches for headphones, chargers, etc.). While flying I had two bags: the Western Flyer and the Swift. Then I could use the desired combination of bags: sometimes just the Side Effect, sometimes the Side Effect + Ristretto, and sometimes the Side Effect + Brain Cell.
    Last edited by wennefer; 09-19-2010 at 08:24 PM.

No other bag like it!!

I've been using the Western Flyer for just over a year now. In short, it's been simply amazing. It's dealt with everything from single day business trips to a two week, carry on only trip to China, plus the dozens of 3-4 night business trips around Australia. The red ballistic nylon still shimmers in the light, and I still find myself looking lovingly at the bag across my hotel room. Ahhhh, travel bag perfection!!!

That's great to hear. I've had my eye on a WF for awhile now, and just ordered one last week. Hopefully they'll ship soon -- I have several two-day trips coming up.

Shoes

How does the Western Flyer handle shoes? Can you fit one pair? I'm looking for a "weekend" bag. I just need something to throw a few outfits and a pair of shoes. This isn't for long trek or even airport travel. I have a bag I travel with and a Zephyr as a briefcase. The Zephyr is too small to convert to a travel bag and my other bag has rollers (I know, I know) so it's to clunky for a short trip.

What do you think?

Hi 2612: what size shoes? I wear women's 7 and a half and they all fit fine in the front pocket (one half) with room to spare--this includes New Balance sneakers, ankle boots; slips ons or sandals or the usual tie on shoes should be no problem. No idea about men's shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by 2612 View Post
    How does the Western Flyer handle shoes? Can you fit one pair? I'm looking for a "weekend" bag. I just need something to throw a few outfits and a pair of shoes. This isn't for long trek or even airport travel. I have a bag I travel with and a Zephyr as a briefcase. The Zephyr is too small to convert to a travel bag and my other bag has rollers (I know, I know) so it's to clunky for a short trip.

What do you think?
    I went to Italy and Greece for a week last year, and I brought along a second pair of shoes. They were flats, but I wear a women's size 10, so my feet aren't exactly tiny. I was able to fit everything else that I brought in the bag, too.

Gabe and Shiva, thanks for the responses. I wear a mens 10.5-11. I usually pack my smallest shoe, but in some cases I might need running shoes, dress shoes, and pack a set of flip flops. What do you think? Can the Western Flyer handle it?

well, i have no idea how to get a Men's 10.5---!! One of the other gentlemen on the forum will have to check it out. It may get in the back compartment; or the front, if you unzip the divider. Doubt it will make it into the half side...

I have a WF on the way -- should be here Thursday. I wear a men's size 11 and have been counting on them fitting, just as they do in either of the end compartments of the Aeronaut (it's tight, but they fit). I'll try it out and let you know if no one else has answered definitively by then.

Thanks!

Gmich, thanks for checking. That would be really helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0