Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cinnagirl

Thread: Aeronaut to the Galapagos

Toronto, Canada aka The Centre of the Universe

Smile Aeronaut to the Galapagos

I recently travelled to Ecuador -Two nights in Quito, and then a four day cruise- with my Aeronaut (with two small, one large and one side packing cubes) and MEC Expresso Daypack. I flew from Toronto to Quito via Atlanta - and my first aircraft was a CRJ - while everyone with a rolly had to gate-check their bag, I confidently placed my Aeronaut and Daypack in the overhead with no problem. When I arrived in Quito, my guide greeted me with a smile, and pointed me to the baggage carousel. When I said no need - I have everything right here - he was surprised (and happy too, I'm sure, to not have to help me schlep a big bag!)

Unfortunately, I neglected to take any pics, but here's what I packed (this is from memory):

Small packing cube 1
    2 swimsuits
    1 swimsuit cover-up

6 pairs of underwear
    2 pairs of socks
    1 pj top and shorts
    3 camisole tops

Large Packing Cube
    6 t-shirts
    2 pairs cotton yoga-style pants
    3 pairs capri length cotton pants
    1 long-sleeve shirt

Side Packing Cube
    1 pair of flip-flops
    1 large Adventure Towl
    1 Sport Adventure Towl
    - I think I had one or two small things in here too - but I can't remember!

The other side pocket of the Aeronaut held my Birkenstocks and a couple of small things.

In the main compartment I also had room for my toiletry bag (minus my 311 bag)

My MEC backpack held my camera bag (with my Canon T2i with 18-55 lens plus my Lumix point-and-shoot with battery charges and cables), a collapsable duffel bag that was I always travel with - I check it with any purchases I make during my travels - plus my 311 bag as well a Kleen Kanteen bottle.

I purchased the Aeronaut specifically for this trip - I didn't want to check a bag on the way down (I check my small duffel on the way home to accommodate my souvenir purchases) - I used to travel with an American Tourister rolly bag in addition to a matching shoulder bag. I wasn't sure I'd be able to take everything I wanted to in the Aeronaut, but I was pleasantly surprised! It held everything I needed it to.

I think I'll be retiring my rolly - I can totally see myself using my Aeronaut for future travels. While I love my MEC bag (I've been using it as my everyday bag since I got home) I'm not sure I'll travel with it - it was great for this trip, because I needed it as a daypack, but if I'm not taking my Canon, I'll just take a large purse - or maybe an Imago? I've been eyeing it for a week now - either that or the Medium or Large Cafe bag.

I loved the bag, and can't wait to use it again!
    Darcy likes this.

Just out of curiosity, did you make use of the backpack straps during your trip? What carry method did you use?

Toronto, Canada aka The Centre of the Universe
    For the most part, I used a shoulder strap - not a Tom Bihn strap, I had one from another bag - mostly because I had a small backpack as my personal item. I used the backpack straps on the Aeronaut at the airport when I arrived back home, because I had help with my other bags. I've since used my bag for an overnight bag with the backpack straps, and found them to be very comfortable. I plan on using the backpack straps in the future.
    Indigo/Solar Aeronaut; assorted packing cubes; Olive/Olive/Cayenne Imago; Plum/Wasabi Medium Cafe Bag; assorted organizer pouches

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0