The Kit for bag switching

I used to carry the same bag every day, day in, day out. Now I alternate between the Synapse and the Large Cafe Bag. Instead of combing through pockets to transfer small items, I've taken to putting must-haves in the Kit and just transferring that. All I have to remember is reading glasses and sunglasses.

Current Kit contents: emergency cash, nail clipper, cough drops, toothpick, hand balm, small pouch (MetroCard), pen, notepad.

In addition, when I take an exercise class, I empty my pockets (cash, keys) into the Kit and add my wristwatch.

The ballistic-nylon Kit feels better to handle than a pouch.

Nice post! I have one in steel and was struggling with ideas how to utilize it. Then one weekend I had to pack some cosmetics for my wife, to bring to her in Utah where she was skiing with the kids. I used the Kit to transport the cosmetics and have not seen it since! She uses it every day as a mini makeup bag.

Thanks.

I confess, when I ordered it, I had no idea what I was going to use it for. (I fell for the "sculptural object" marketing.) It has turned out to be handy as well as handsome.

I have many Kits, I ordered the first 2 in Grape and they hold small needlework supplies inside the Grape bag which is the ancestor of the Swift.

Then I got one in Steel and one in Black.

I am missing the Indigo.

There are many many uses for Kits.

We have already heard about great makeup bags, odds and ends carrier and holder for small craft items.

It can also be a marker case, ideal for conferences and meetings when one has to make a speech and write on a dry-erase or a easel paper board.

An it is a great opaque wire tamer, a Mini Pouches carrier (it can hold 4 comfortably) but I have as much as 10 empty Mini Cordura Pouches stored in one Kit.

Let us know what else you use your Kit for?

I don't have a Kit but I do have a bag of similar size that I got from Guide Dogs of America. I put all my emergency prescriptions in it. (I suffer from migraines and some allergies.) When I switch bags, the GDA pseudo-kit moves, too.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Nice post! I have one in steel and was struggling with ideas how to utilize it. Then one weekend I had to pack some cosmetics for my wife, to bring to her in Utah where she was skiing with the kids. I used the Kit to transport the cosmetics and have not seen it since! She uses it every day as a mini makeup bag.
    The makeup bag function was one of the factors behind the original design of the Kit, as I think Tom mentioned in an interview video about the many different ways he came up with ideas for new products (including customer requests, as in this case). You can see some of the uses for the Kit in the pictures from the Introducing the Style Kit Pouch thread and from the new product announcement blog post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Thanks.

I confess, when I ordered it, I had no idea what I was going to use it for. (I fell for the "sculptural object" marketing.) It has turned out to be handy as well as handsome.
    I find that the Kit works well as a small bag that holds objects that would otherwise roll around, or that require more depth than a regular pouch. Its molded form provides more structure, and its shape makes it easy to grip the top. It's very good for small computer cables and chargers. It also fits really well into the top of the main compartment of the Synapse.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I have many Kits, I ordered the first 2 in Grape and they hold small needlework supplies inside the Grape bag which is the ancestor of the Swift.

Then I got one in Steel and one in Black.

I am missing the Indigo.
    I have the Kit in both Grape and Indigo. Although I have an Indigo Synapse, I usually carry a Kiwi Kit in that bag. The color combination is great, and I like the brighter color interior as contrast for finding items that are in the Kit.

I keep a stuff sack in my Medium Cafe Bag. When I need to empty my pockets, it all goes in the stuff sack. Works out real well. I don't have to hunt for where I put anything down. I use a Kit for larger class supplies (i.e. stapler, white out tape, binder clips, etc.)
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

Every time I browse the accessories page, the Kit catches my eye. I have no idea what I'd use it for, and I suspect it would end up in the bottom drawer not doing anything, but I really want one!

Quote Originally Posted by gonty View Post
    Oh good, I'm not the only one.

Every time I browse the accessories page, the Kit catches my eye. I have no idea what I'd use it for, and I suspect it would end up in the bottom drawer not doing anything, but I really want one!
    I know the feeling...I almost want another one for myself now that my wife has stolen mine (even though I don't have an intended use yet).
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post

In addition, when I take an exercise class, I empty my pockets (cash, keys) into the Kit and add my wristwatch.

The ballistic-nylon Kit feels better to handle than a pouch.
    I keep a stuff sack in my everyday carry bag (medium cafe) for just those times I need to empty my pockets. This way I have a quick set-up container that can stand on its own but can also be closed up with a pull string. Works great, and now its an everyday carry item. Empty, it folds up very nicely, and weighs so little its never in the way, yet is always ready when I need it.

I was very close to getting the travel tray from Red Oxx for this purpose and would have had they not been out of stock at the time for the color I wanted. While I was waiting for that color to be available again, I had obtained an order from TB which included a stuff sack. I had ordered the sack after reading so many had found them useful here in the forum. I figured, let me see what this is all about. Now, I don't need the tray. I didn't see that coming when I ordered the sack. It just lent itself very well to my personal style and fit a need I had like a glove.

I had a similar experience with the Kit. I ordered one, not really having a strong specific purpose for it but I really liked the look of it and figured I would find a use for it. Now, its a great little tool bag of school supplies which I can transfer between bags. And I enjoy the look of it, as an artwork. Icing on the cake. Well, come to think of it, the use as a tool kit is the icing: I guess I really ordered it because it looked so cool.

What did I learn from all this? I will be more likely to buy stuff from Tom Bihn that I am on the fence about, and not seeing a clear use for the accessory. Why? Because it has worked out so well for me in the past. I am so looking forward to seeing what the Field Journal will be.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0