Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

TUAW Tips: Packing your gadgetry for travel to faraway lands

TUAW Tips: Packing your gadgetry for travel to faraway lands

Features the Western Flyer, Brain Cell, Organizer Pouches.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

keb

nice article

Did almost exactly this with the western flyer on a family trip to mexico, except that in addition to the electronics craziness also had a clear quarter packing cube with first aid materials on one side and toiletries on the other. Even included a 32-disc DVD carrier. Padded organizer pouches are awesome for added protection for iPods, etc. I recently figured out that the Snake Charmer fits vertically into one end of the Western Flyer very nicely in either half of the front compartment, with room for a TB Kit and Oakley sunglass case, so that may give even more efficiency next time. I also carry two PowerMonkey Explorer portable rechargeable batteries with multiple tips. These have an optional solar charger, just in case... The 4Z Brain Cell does take up a lot of space in that back compartment, but padded pouches clipped on to the o-ring had more than enough room for portable hard drive and cable and kensington portable surge and an airport express. With the power adapter for the macbook in the mesh compartment on the brain cell and the padded pouches clipped to keep them evenly distributed, things fit just fine and the WF fit easily in the regional jet overhead compartment for one leg of our trip without a second glance from the flight crew. In fact, it was my 2nd carryon along with a wheeled bag (hiding my head in shame) which contained clothes that I did have to check plane-side on the regional jet flight. Otherwise, I carried the WF as my personal item at Christmas time and no one bothered me...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

keb
    i made the blog!!!!!
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

I wish they had put in pictures of the WF loaded with all that stuff. I'm especially interested in seeing how the two Canon cameras fit into the WF. I am still searching for a personal item type bag that can handle my Canon DSLR and a few other items on personal trips.

keb
    The DSLRs are tough. I carry my wife's D80 in a separate small Lowepro padded camera bag.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0