Brain Bag: An Adaptable Beast

Hey, All!

Someone asked for some pics that show how the cinch straps work to make the brain bag larger or smaller. I snapped a couple on my iPhone when I got into work this morning to show an example...

When I headed to the office, my BB was hauling a laptop, a Freudian Slip filled to bursting with papers and files, a snake charmer, multiple texbooks, two water bottles, and a big ol' insulated lunch bag. Here is how it looked with a reasonably full load when I arrived at the office, cinch straps wide open:

Now we take out a number of these items, tighten up the cinch straps, and wallah! Suddenly she's a lean, mean fighting machine!

These pics show my favorite thing about the Brain Bag: flexibility. Whatever your gear, the Brain Bag happily takes it all in and -- more importantly -- can be adjusted to be worn comfortably and securely. As you pick up (or lose) stuff along the way, the bag is easily adjusted.

I really thought that this bag was going to be HUGE. It's not... it's just huge when it has to be.

I also love the roomy pockets in the front: with big zippers and spaces they are great for all of the stuff you need to get to in a hurry. The clever
    tucked under" design, however, keeps things from slipping out by accident or getting wet. LOVE that.

If I had two nits to pick on this bag, I'd love a couple of snap rings in those pockets and I'd like to see the pen holders a little looser (but they have loosened up for me with use). After a month of daily use, those are honestly my only little quibbles with this wonderful, adaptable bag!

Hope this helps others trying to decide!

-Bob
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Hi, nice pictures. Where did you put the two water bottles? Did you use a brain cell for your lap top? I have a Super Ego, but I'm thinking of adding a Brain Bag to my collection of bags. I want something more roomy at times.

Thanks!

I put one in the front mesh pocket on the outside pocket (you can't see it here). I also keep one in the front compartment of the bag, because I have other stuff in the front pockets (sunglasses case, pens, etc).

I believe that two 20-oz water bottles would fit in the front pockets, but I have not tried that yet!

As far as a brain cell: that's next on my purchase list. I have a useless neoprene sleeve on my laptop right now.

One of my co-workers (the one who started me on the Tom Bihn addiction) has the Super Ego, and it's a great bag! I debated between that and the ID for a long time... I prefer the backpack style for larger loads, however, so I went with the ID/Brain Bag combo.
    Last edited by MagicTiki; 02-05-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot to add something!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Hey Bob, how large is your lunch bag? I have a Hi-Top Munchsak, as well as a Power Pack Plus Lunch Box. I'm guessing the Munchsak might be fairly painless on one of the compartments?

Karl

It's the Columbia North Rim Double Decker Lunch Bucket. I don't have measurements on it, but it's pretty chunky and fits fine with room to stack stuff on top of it (like my snake charmer).

I also have a taller lunch bag similar to the Muchsak that I use if I need the room (no brand name... I think it's from Disney world or something). That fits with plenty of room to spare!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Great news... thanks mas!

Karl

Thanks for the response.

this is the same with the super-ego, even though it doesnt use cinch straps. when i have the brain cell in it and more stuff it is as wide as it gets. when i dont, it just naturally compresses against my back.

thiis is why i would love for the main compartment to have ike another 1.5" in depth - cause it doesnt make it bulky, just comes into play when you fill it up.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0